The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

25 minutes ago, RedEd said:

I wonder in what way Bryden doesn't count as a new signing. He was playing for the u18s and has recently become part of the first team. He wasn't part of it before Christmas.

As for my Kent Brockman style 'My Two Cents', too many folk define our season, past, present and future, by our last result. It's ok to be concerned but predicting relegation because we lost to a team from the Premiership is ridiculous. And before anyone points out previous poor performances, I refer you to the general mood after beating Arbroath and Raith.

Genuinely can’t tell if you are being serious here tbh. 

Of course he isn’t a new signing, and the fact we are asking a seventeen year old to come on and do something reflects pretty poorly on the state of our squad. 

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Genuinely can’t tell if you are being serious here tbh. 

Of course he isn’t a new signing, and the fact we are asking a seventeen year old to come on and do something reflects pretty poorly on the state of our squad. 

I'm not arguing one way or another about his age or whether we are relying on him in any way, shape or form. But he has moved from AUFA, which is a separate organisation, to AUFC.

7 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

We have Partick at home last game of the season.

Inevitably the football Gods have set it up for Uncle Ian to relegate us. This is the way...

Maybe we stop them from getting promotion or play off spot. That would be tasty. *

*Tasty, as it will be the only thing to play for due to having already been relegated.

RedEd makes a good point tbf. From a size of squad point of view, Bryden is a new signing as we now have one extra player in the squad who wasn’t there before. He may not be an established player at this level but he’s effectively a new player. We do need someone else up front but we can’t bring another striker in unless Afolabi leaves.

15 minutes ago, RedEd said:

I'm not arguing one way or another about his age or whether we are relying on him in any way, shape or form. But he has moved from AUFA, which is a separate organisation, to AUFC.

If your meaning on a technicality then yes he is a new signing but he shouldn’t be classed as one.

If the club are classing signings from the academy as new signings then I’d say that’s very disingenuous. 

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

If your meaning on a technicality then yes he is a new signing but he shouldn’t be classed as one.

If the club are classing signings from the academy as new signings then I’d say that’s very disingenuous. 

I didn't suggest the club were.

Regardless, it was a completely pointless point. 

It’s not. He is a new signing for the squad and is another body in the door. RedEd isn’t suggesting that the club are classing him as a new signing to try and pull a fast one on us but he adds something to the team.

2 minutes ago, RedEd said:

So his three (so far) appearances are pointless. Very good.

Talk about misrepresenting.

Suggesting the intricacies of our youth system set up means that someone who is promoted from our own youth team is a new signing, is a completely pointless point.  

Who really cares!? 🙄

Fact is, he plays for Ayr now. He's young, he's obviously a talented lad and The crowd cheer for him as he was with them not that long ago.

Solution to our terrible goal ratio? Probably not. Though it's good to see a young boy getting the chance to shine.

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s not. He is a new signing for the squad and is another body in the door. RedEd isn’t suggesting that the club are classing him as a new signing to try and pull a fast one on us but he adds something to the team.

It is still a huge stretch to suggest he is a new signing. I don’t think the club are trying to class him as a new signing. He has been promoted from the youth team,  as someone who has potential to go on and do well for us and frankly that is the only sensible way to look at it. There isn’t a football club in this country who would class promoting a youth player as a new signing - he is an addition to the squad. Just as any youth player signing professional terms would be. 

We have no idea at this point if he is able to add something to the team. He is incredibly young, and tbh is applying a ton of pressure to expect any kind of contribution from a 17 year old thrown in in the current circumstances. 

ETA, but yes as RM says, it really doesn’t overly matter. If we are relying on him to come on and make an impact over the rest of the season though, then I would have a serious issue with that. 

Edited by No_Problemo

There is a technical point about the Academy and Club being seperate legal entities. I would suggest the Ayr United at the front of both their names gives away the connection though. Also the whole ethos of the Academy is to provide players for the Ayr United first team.

Counting Fraser as a new signing we are still at a net position of +1. So we can expect another 3 or 4? Surely? The 1 or 2 chat from the club now is an utter nonsense. I'm half expecting a statement from the club akin to the Burnley partnership. Supporters got carried away we were never signing 4 new players... 

Edited by Trogdor

1 hour ago, RedEd said:

Why not? He wasn't playing with the first team before Christmas, and now he is. 

He was eligible to play for the first team before and he still is. Changing his contract status doesn't make him a "new signing". You may as well argue extending any established first team player's contract makes him a "new signing". Bryden wasn't playing with the first team before Xmas because he wasn't getting picked for it.

7 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Counting Fraser as a new signing we are still at a net position of +1. So we can expect another 3 or 4? Surely? The 1 or 2 chat from the club now is an utter nonsense. I'm half expecting a statement from the club akin to the Burnley partnership. Supporters got carried away we were never signing 4 new players....

Yes, I agree. He's counted as a new player. I'd hope there were more players signed from the academy.....

.... because let's be honest, if the benchmark is f*cking Sean McGinty in the first team, we could potentially have an academy full of energetic youngsters a mere baw hair from challenging first team positions, with the added excitement, adrenaline rush and self need to show their worth.