The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

13 hours ago, North British said:

This is beginning to feel like the Toderov fiasco all over again . If we can’t get two or three in with real quality then we’re in a three way slug fest with Morton and QoS for the Seaside .

Its a three way slug fest regardless. 

Its rare for any team to get 2 or 3 real quality signings in January at any level of the game. It definitely doesn't happen in the bottom half of the Championship, it just doesn't.

9 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

See the same link does now say we are after Paul Watson although Hamilton and QoS also want him

I'm surprised he hasn't found a home already in some respects. Maybe holding out to see who will offer the best terms, or teams are taking their time doing their due diligence after he left Dunfermline under a cloud. Would happily take a punt on him though.

As for Mason Robertson it’s a hard no for me. Was pretty average in League 1 and I’ve no idea what the standard is like over in India but it’s no the time to be taking gambles with him. Also he’s a striker that won’t be much different to what we’ve got with Adeloye and McKenzie.

11 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Its a three way slug fest regardless. 

Its rare for any team to get 2 or 3 real quality signings in January at any level of the game. It definitely doesn't happen in the bottom half of the Championship, it just doesn't.

Izzy Jones, Dapo Mebude and Rhys Breen signed last January had a massive part in turning our season round last year.

13 hours ago, North British said:

This is beginning to feel like the Toderov fiasco all over again . If we can’t get two or three in with real quality then we’re in a three way slug fest with Morton and QoS for the Seaside .

Why you disregarding Dunfermline and Hamilton? 

Izzy Jones, Dapo Mebude and Rhys Breen signed last January had a massive part in turning our season round last year.

And how often do you get lucky like that? For teams struggling, unless you are prepared to go and buy players or get exceptionally lucky and pick up the best of the guys dropping down the leagues then you are going to be reliant on two or three loans that may or may not work.

We’ve already said that we’re prioritising guys that can still be here next season which would suggest we’re leaving loans as a last resort. Also the position we’re trying to fill is such a crucial one that you don’t get many opportunities to fill it in January.

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

With under two weeks to go until the transfer window closes we still need 3 players as a bare minimum (CB, CM. ST) we don’t really have time to be waiting on players making a decision on whether to come or not. We should be making them an offer with a strict deadline. If they haven’t accepted offer by that deadline then we withdraw it and move on to another target. 

I think a few will have had discussions and it’s maybe waiting on us getting the right person , some times you need to convince people to move as they are happy where they are , it’s a certainty we don’t have all eggs in the one basket on this one 

Edited by Finlay21

1 hour ago, Kenny*******Powers said:

Mason Robertson 

I doubt that's who @Finlay21 was referring to, plus he's a defensive midfielder/defender, it's a box to box midfielder we need. 

1 hour ago, GaryMc93 said:

See the same link does now say we are after Paul Watson although Hamilton and QoS also want him

Had a shocker at Dunfermline with him falling out Peter Grant and calling in sick for a week only to come back with a tan from a 1 week break in Spain...

Would be an upgrade on what we've got IMO plus he was a defensive partner with Muirhead for almost 3 years at Falkirk which could help to sway him. Would surely see one of Baird, McGinty or Fjortoft leave, something tells me it would end up being the latter....

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

I doubt that's who @Finlay21 was referring to, plus he's a defensive midfielder/defender, it's a box to box midfielder we need. 

Had a shocker at Dunfermline with him falling out Peter Grant and calling in sick for a week only to come back with a tan from a 1 week break in Spain...

Would be an upgrade on what we've got IMO plus he was a defensive partner with Muirhead for almost 3 years at Falkirk which could help to sway him. Would surely see one of Baird, McGinty or Fjortoft leave, something tells me it would end up being the latter....

Agree on the last part , Fjortoft seems to be way down the pecking order , 

19 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Agree on the last part , Fjortoft seems to be way down the pecking order , 

Slightly concerned that you're not ruling out the top part...

Surprising Fjortoft has ended up in that position as he was probably the best one out of the 3 of them on paper

23 minutes ago, rb123! said:

I think we could do with both. The defence doesn’t get any protection unless Muirhead is playing and he isn’t a midfielder.

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I think we could do with both. The defence doesn’t get any protection unless Muirhead is playing and he isn’t a midfielder.

We ain't gonna be signing a defender, two central midfielders and a striker IMO