The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

The last 2 games are sides that we have acquitted ourselves well against this season but couldn’t get past.

we have an edge to us now that was enough to get us over that hurdle, I think Morton will be a different proposition this weekend, they have gained their own edge and are fighting for survival the same as Ayr.
if we win then we truly have turned a corner, if we draw or lose then Saturday night on here will all be about the need for players in. 

9 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

The last 2 games are sides that we have acquitted ourselves well against this season but couldn’t get past.

we have an edge to us now that was enough to get us over that hurdle, I think Morton will be a different proposition this weekend, they have gained their own edge and are fighting for survival the same as Ayr.
if we win then we truly have turned a corner, if we draw or lose then Saturday night on here will all be about the need for players in. 

I think that is a little unfair, even if we win we know reinforcements are required as things stand at present. Even if we draw and put in a decent performance I'd say we'll look like we've turned a corner. It was totally insipid at the end of the Duffy era so any form of life is welcome. I'd be happy with a draw and no additional injuries / suspensions right now, obviously want a win though. It is hard to know where Morton are given we've battled to a win against the league leaders and they've hammered a down and out Dunfermline, the one thing we do know is both teams will have a new found confidence. 

Next week against St Mirren is a free hit, so we may see some limited rotation with an academy prospect or two getting a run out. Any more injuries between now and the end of the window would be crippling. 

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

If we can keep the McGinty of the past 2 games then I honestly wouldn't swap him as he's been excellent, especially on Saturday.

He won every ball in the air, he chucked himself into blocks, he got first to the ball in a couple of our corners and he even successfully passed the ball out of defence a few times, Yes, I agree that until the Raith game he looked a complete liability, however whatever Davie White or Bully has said to him has certainly worked and if he can keep that up then we might just have a player that we didn't think was in there !!!

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

I don't think we'll get a great deal out of Glendinning this window, he'll be utilised but his real work will start as soon as it closes IMO. 

There's no reason why the work he's been carrying out for Hamilton in his time there, can't / won't be used for our own benefit.

10 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

There's no reason why the work he's been carrying out for Hamilton in his time there, can't / won't be used for our own benefit.

Yeah, the real work started the second he was in the door here - and I’m sure he will have had a database on players in certain positions from his work at Hamilton. 

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Yeah, the real work started the second he was in the door here - and I’m sure he will have had a database on players in certain positions from his work at Hamilton. 

Absolutely, these guys live and breathe stats, numbers and their end product. The databases that are produced will likely be the result of weeks and months of work from a wide variety of sources. Filtered by position and likely passed to someone further up the chain at Hamilton who will have the final say as to who is actually targeted.

Frustratingly, and from experience, that can often wildly differ from your own opinion or from what the numbers would have them believe.

15 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Absolutely, these guys live and breathe stats, numbers and their end product. The databases that are produced will likely be the result of weeks and months of work from a wide variety of sources. Filtered by position and likely passed to someone further up the chain at Hamilton who will have the final say as to who is actually targeted.

Frustratingly, and from experience, that can often wildly differ from your own opinion or from what the numbers would have them believe.

Yeah, it is a process I’m pretty fascinated by tbh! 

I’m sure it can be used somehow but there might be different restraints at either Accies or ourselves which might change how he works.

I think he’ll definitely have played a part in getting players in this month but I agree with itzdrk in that we won’t get the full benefit of him until he’s had time to collate a shortlist of players we can target. Obviously he’ll have his own portfolio of players he likes from his time at other clubs but he’ll be given the chance to do more work after this window I’d imagine.

19 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

These things are all great to a point, but they need to be used along with old school scouting as opposed to in isolation.

Would a Henry Templeton pass muster using these type of modern stats ?

Football isn't predetermined and maybe that's why individuality seems to be getting coached out of the game, I mean it's all very well noting that player A ran x amount of miles and made x amount of tackles and x amount of passes, however how much actual influence in the game or the final result did he have and could he have made better decisions than those he actually made ???

There's also lots of players who individually don't seem to do much but they compliment others and allow them the freedom to excel, again none of that comes out in individual stats.

As I say, all this is great to a point and any edge helps but it's not an exact science, that's for sure !!

1 hour ago, Hawk89 said:

I think that is a little unfair, even if we win we know reinforcements are required as things stand at present. Even if we draw and put in a decent performance I'd say we'll look like we've turned a corner. It was totally insipid at the end of the Duffy era so any form of life is welcome. I'd be happy with a draw and no additional injuries / suspensions right now, obviously want a win though. It is hard to know where Morton are given we've battled to a win against the league leaders and they've hammered a down and out Dunfermline, the one thing we do know is both teams will have a new found confidence. 

Next week against St Mirren is a free hit, so we may see some limited rotation with an academy prospect or two getting a run out. Any more injuries between now and the end of the window would be crippling. 

Players may have been suffering the impact of how Hopkin and then Duffy set up, we won 2 on the bounce when Duffy took over then drew with Morton, we have won 2 on the bounce under Whyte. But it may be an issue with complacency or concentration that leads us to make defensive howlers and how we react to them. 
If it was solely down to setup and coaching then we should continue to pick up points. 
If it is down to the players then they will continue until we change them.

The issues we have were obvious on Saturday but we still won. It’s to early to know if the whole club has had a lift and a corner has been turned in terms of results.

Raith had been off it for a few weeks and we beat them, Arbroath lost a key player and struggled to break us down, Morton will be different and it will be interesting to see how it goes.
They are in a similar situation where a new manager has came in and results have picked up. 

Bully appears to have been touring round Ayr town centre today and seen by supporters in the high street and the sandgate

A supporter on the SRE claims to have spoken to him in the high street for a few minutes...

Spent 5 mins talking to Bully this afternoon on Ayr High Street . A top bloke and happy to chat . Gave him my take from a fans point of the club over the years. Hoping to have at least 1 in for Saturday and ideally 3 or 4 overall , he was very impressed with McGinty against Arbroath. Adeloye back for Saturday 

16 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

These things are all great to a point, but they need to be used along with old school scouting as opposed to in isolation.

Would a Henry Templeton pass muster using these type of modern stats ?

Football isn't predetermined and maybe that's why individuality seems to be getting coached out of the game, I mean it's all very well noting that player A ran x amount of miles and made x amount of tackles and x amount of passes, however how much actual influence in the game or the final result did he have and could he have made better decisions than those he actually made ???

There's also lots of players who individually don't seem to do much but they compliment others and allow them the freedom to excel, again none of that comes out in individual stats.

As I say, all this is great to a point and any edge helps but it's not an exact science, that's for sure !!

Henry Templeton would stand out for dribbling stats, assists and any other metric you wanted to study.

Average players don't produce good numbers, they might have a good game, a good month or even season. But it has to be viewed into how their career has gone, is it a total outlier due to playing in a different position, formation or for a new manager playing him differently.

At our level the problem would be getting enough raw data but if you've got the time and motivation it can be done. The lower down the pyramid you go in Scotland the tougher it would be. 

There's nothing exact about it, you're bang on there. There is a big emphasis on your scouting team but to start with a list of say a 1000 possible players stats can be extremely beneficial in getting that list down to a manageable number. 

The benefit is that Bully will be expected to have ideas in his head of how he wants his team to play and what strengths he places on individuals based on the positions they play. 

From there you can begin to shape suitable targets. 

Its not the using of metrics that brings success its the interpretation of the results that set teams apart and bring value. There are definitely teams and managers out there who seem to get it right more often than they don't. 

It isn't solely down to guesswork, good old fashioned scouting or agents edited videos of all their clients highlights. 

6 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Bully appears to have been touring round Ayr town centre today and seen by supporters in the high street and the sandgate

A supporter on the SRE claims to have spoken to him in the high street for a few minutes...

Spent 5 mins talking to Bully this afternoon on Ayr High Street . A top bloke and happy to chat . Gave him my take from a fans point of the club over the years. Hoping to have at least 1 in for Saturday and ideally 3 or 4 overall , he was very impressed with McGinty against Arbroath. Adeloye back for Saturday 

McLeod did that, said win lose or draw he would be on Ayr high street on a Monday to face the fans. 

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

McLeod did that, said win lose or draw he would be on Ayr high street on a Monday to face the fans. 

Tbf Bully will be the first manager we've had in a long time actually living in the local area, likes of McCall, Kerr, Hopkin, Duffy etc all lived up in the central belt so would just be down here for work and straight back up the road

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I delivered a paper on my run one morning to Mr McLeod, with my Ayr Scarf on. He came out for his paper and spoke away to me for a good ten minutes about the Ayr team, who my favourite was and so on, before handing me a twenty pound note and had a big smile on his face in doing so.

Went home and told my paps, I hadn't a clue who he was 😂 never even thought to put 2 and 2 together 🙄 After I was informed, going to his door felt like going to  Buckingham palace ☺️

On 06/01/2022 at 17:28, GaryMc93 said:

No but an agency called Global Team Management did a couple of days ago on both Twitter and Instagram. Emmanuel Maja who is a CM at Enfield Town seems to be the only player they really talk about. Hasn't played since getting sent off on the 11th Dec though so I need more evidence before I'll put him down as a potential signing.

Not sure what the level is like as it's the same club Muhammadu Faal is at, who was on trial same time as Adeloye, and he apparently has 26 goals already this season. 

So update on the Global Team Management front. We've had this today. Also some random guy from England asked Ayr if they had a signing they wanted to announce.

image.png.46c0cb1adcd91add0e2f91afe05708f5.png

image.png.67c7e8012582ff56165d8f737ca8dc0c.png

Not much in AP sadly. Confirms Salkeld is out for season while Celtic are trying to recall Afolabi. He says that it’s easy to say you need 5/6 players when losing games however recent results suggest we’re not as far away as some people think. He does acknowledge additions are needed as there is an imbalance in the squad.

He also signals the defence out for praise.