The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

38 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

This is all good for long term but I wonder how effective it will be for the immediate short term. would be a massive set backwards to get this all set up and end up relegated.

The problem could potentially be more that it's a new process starting from scratch along with the fact it's a January window more than anything else. 

Once it's up and properly functioning lists of possible targets will be identified through various metrics and stats deemed pertinent to each position group. 

Once you know the output for your current team as individuals and squad overall, you then have par figures which can be used to narrow down what could otherwise be huge lists of players into manageable groups to be scouted, either by video or in person, and then viewed as transfer or loan targets in the short, medium and long term. 

Rolling shortlists will then be created so if you're suddenly looking for a central defender at short notice let's say, then ready made lists will be held for Mathie and the Head Coach to discuss.

A lot of the ground work is already done to identify suitable players and as its tweaked over a period of time it should be fairly accurate in terms of identifying players over or underperforming against both what we have in the squad and what the player has done in their career previously against their current output. 

Team stats can also be calculated over a period of time to gauge how the team is actually performing in matches against expectation. 

Its always been a fascinating subject that needs a strong scouting team in support of it to have eyes on as many shortlisted players as possible. 

It offers no guarantees to success but the club are giving themselves the best shot at getting the best value they can for the budget they have available. Fair play to them for it as the information needed  isn't free but provides the raw data required for the analysts to bring together. 

Exciting times hopefully. 

8 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Look at Billy Dodds.

My younger sister was best friends with his daughter at school. She was round at my mum's in Milngavie, whilst I was there seeing my mum. Heard the door bell ring and an oblivious me went and answered it. 

I was wearing my Ayr Shirt and Ayr hat. He looked me up and down and asked for his daughter. He did not look impressed at all.

My younger sister was best friends with his daughter at school. She was round at my mum's in Milngavie, whilst I was there seeing my mum. Heard the door bell ring and an oblivious me went and answered it. 
I was wearing my Ayr Shirt and Ayr hat. He looked me up and down and asked for his daughter. He did not look impressed at all.
He hates us due some abuse that he got from the SRE about his sister who passed away from cancer

5 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
13 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

He hates us due some abuse that he got from the SRE about his sister who passed away from cancer

It was a car accident and some people sang about it- a bit sick really 

1 minute ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Yeah, that's a tad too far, even for my bad humour. Not nice at all. 

Wouldn't wish that on anyone. I've nothing against the bloke personally, other than him playing for oldco Rangers in the tax avoidance days 😒

9 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
17 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Knew it was some kind of tragedy, banters banter but no need for that crap.

I was in school with his nephews. That’s the only reason I remember,  the eldest was a dick 

18 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I was in school with his nephews. That’s the only reason I remember,  the eldest was a dick 

I went a funeral full of dicks once. My Great Aunts Funeral.

It was one of the hardest things for me in my life for all the wrong reasons. I bit the inside of my mouth so hard, it bled. The highlight was the priest saying 'And the spirit of the Dicks will ever be present!'

Needless to say, they were killie fans.

It was a nice send off she got though. 👍

IMG_20211228_233127.jpg

Edited by Roxanne's man
Funerals can sometimes be funny.

1 hour ago, ryanayr1987 said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on someone like McFadden getting the job? Good links to some bigger clubs but has no management experience (not sure if he’s even been coaching tbh) maybe a good start for him with the building blocks being put in place. I think he was interested the last time too

No, he'll bore the life out them. 

11 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Its football matches we need to win, not Who wants to be a Millionaire. 

I had him on my shortlist. 

I think he comes across OK actually, you can at least tell he does some preparation for the games he is commentating on. Of course, have zero clue if he would be a good coach based on that!

And if we are comparing him with other pundits, then compared with Kris Boyd he is AJP Taylor and Richard Feynman combined.

I like Faddy when he's doing punditry work, particularly when he's covering the Scotland games. I think he comes across well, and not a, "thicko" as someone said. He's obviously coached the Scotland squad, but I don't know if he's been in the coaching game recently.

Marvin Bartley for me [emoji106]

Personally I'd like someone who can coach and who'll win us football matches and their IQ, personality and perceived demeanor are all pretty much down the list as far as I'm concerned.

This may have been a big point from a PR perspective previously, however it seems the "new guy" will be concentrating purely on the football and will be leaving our PR stuff to Mathie so this is no longer any sort of concern.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Personally I'd like someone who can coach and who'll win us football matches and their IQ, personality and perceived demeanor are all pretty much down the list as far as I'm concerned.

This may have been a big point from a PR perspective previously, however it seems the "new guy" will be concentrating purely on the football and will be leaving our PR stuff to Mathie so this is no longer any sort of concern.

I’m not sure we want a thick head coach tbh...

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

...and will be leaving our PR stuff to Mathie so this is no longer any sort of concern.

I have to say the communication has been night and day since he came on board. Such an easy thing to change but I'm grateful he has as I was starting to resent the positives happening off the field as a result of the blackout of comms on the playing side. 

As others have said, I'm actually feeling optimistic for the first time in over a year with all things Ayr United. Long may it continue.