The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

No doubt it's been a bumpy road for Smith in the last year but I think he's now realised himself running a football club is not the same as his building business so he's got to bring people in who are good at that and have a track record, I feel positive for the first time in a while that we could be on the road to something better than being a yo yo club or a team that fights to stay up every season

9 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

The way I see it - Having Mathie and today's signing of a recruitment analyst making decisions of who can improve the team is a sh*t lot better than Hopkin signing half of a p*sh Morton team and expecting results with p*sh Hoofball tactics.

The ball is rolling now. Ayr are going upwards for the first time since McCall left. Let's have faith.

If we sign Maxwell that’s a massive statement of intent

hope to f*ck we do.

1 minute ago, Superhursy7 said:
3 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

hope to f*ck we do.

Would it not be brilliant to announce it just before the partick game as a get it right up you to uncle Ian.

854982995_2950726.main_image2.thumb.jpg.f7bef4069159402534b81b831619e120.jpg

With the AP saying that Bartley is believed to have been/will be interviewed this week then I'd suggest it's probably going to be him. I would definitely have had serious reservations about him before Mathie but with him coming in and this Keith Glendinning coming from Accies, it would suggest that recruitment will be a joint thing and not just left to one man to call the shots. Bartley can put more focus on the training pitch and work out what he needs this coming month. 

I'm still not massively fussed over Maxwell but if Mathie and the board go all out to stop him going to another club in this league I'll back it and be fairly happy that we're not allowing ourselves to be walked over. Houston is another I wouldn't be unhappy to see go but I'd like to see him get another shot as I thought he was good pre-COVID. Likewise, guys like McAllister could benefit from good coaching but guys like Afolabi, McGinty and Salkeld don't get that benefit. Get them binned pronto. 

16 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
18 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

hope to f*ck we do.

Would it not be brilliant to announce it just before the partick game as a get it right up you to uncle Ian.

Did he not do the same to us with the Docherty signing?

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Yeah - I imagine groups of players that are aligned with the vision of how they want the team to look will be identified and discussed with the head coach. I’m sure the head coach will also be able to identify players they like within this too.

It makes you wonder why we haven't consider this type of approach sooner? At face value it would seem to be a fairly straightforward process in terms of identifying suitable players to play to the head coaches preferred formation and style of play within our wage structure and if needed, our transfer budget. 

There's been a lot of debate on here previously about the use of statistics and analytics in recruitment something which I've always been a big supporter of to be used alongside more conventional scouting methods. 

I can see us looking to sign more players of the age, profile and background of Maxwell, to develop and hopefully sell on while under contract and to identify suitable loan targets as well. Gullan perhaps? 

6 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

It makes you wonder why we haven't consider this type of approach sooner? At face value it would seem to be a fairly straightforward process in terms of identifying suitable players to play to the head coaches preferred formation and style of play within our wage structure and if needed, our transfer budget. 

There's been a lot of debate on here previously about the use of statistics and analytics in recruitment something which I've always been a big supporter of to be used alongside more conventional scouting methods. 

I can see us looking to sign more players of the age, profile and background of Maxwell, to develop and hopefully sell on while under contract and to identify suitable loan targets as well. Gullan perhaps? 

Yeah, I remember discussing it on here previously. 

Kerr and McArdle may have used it to some extent (unless there data analysis approach was limited to conditioning etc)  Ultimately I don’t think either had experience of using this in terms of recruitment - something which we now have two people who do. The infrastructure is now in place, so hopefully we begin to see the benefit of that. As you say, hopefully we now begin to see more Rose, Harvey etc type signings again... 

We probably shouldn’t expect too much in January, but certainly beginning in the summer...

I think we’re in good shape with regards a successful bid for James Maxwell . James is only 20 but already a strapping big athlete . His attributes will take him to England eventually, however if he wants to follow in the footsteps of LS , Rose and more relevantly Danny Harvie , then what better a place to start than with us at Ayr .  If we can get close to what others are offering and show him that we mean business by bring in others of a similar caliber then why not ? The elephant in the room would be Rangers though .

Another deal we need to be would be getting Tomi signed . His goals speak volumes , with better players in shortly he could hit 20 by the end of the season .  That puts him in the same bracket as Hurst , who we sold for £175K ......Think about that for a moment !

At last the bigger picture is being revealed . Get the feeling the surprises are just beginning , if so the long suffering fans of our club are in for one hell of a journey .

What’s everyone’s thoughts on someone like McFadden getting the job? Good links to some bigger clubs but has no management experience (not sure if he’s even been coaching tbh) maybe a good start for him with the building blocks being put in place. I think he was interested the last time too

1 minute ago, ryanayr1987 said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on someone like McFadden getting the job? Good links to some bigger clubs but has no management experience (not sure if he’s even been coaching tbh) maybe a good start for him with the building blocks being put in place. I think he was interested the last time too

No thanks. Comes across as a complete thicko on Sportscene.