The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I see some Dumfries-dwellers have been abusing the daughter of Palmerston's favourite son.

I for one, 100% believe George Galloway. The man is integrity personified. There's no danger he would make up such a claim just for the attention he so craves.

You do want to feel sorry for Kerr and McArdle but the approach that's being taken now is hopefully on a very much more concrete, professional foundation. It does strongly suggest that whoever the new manager is will be less involved in squad-building.

Also interesting to see Lachlan formally removed from the board. Wonder if the timing is coincidental or if he thinks he finally no longer owes anything to the club, even sentimentally.

You do want to feel sorry for Kerr and McArdle but the approach that's being taken now is hopefully on a very much more concrete, professional foundation. It does strongly suggest that whoever the new manager is will be less involved in squad-building.
Also interesting to see Lachlan formally removed from the board. Wonder if the timing is coincidental or if he thinks he finally no longer owes anything to the club, even sentimentally.
Maybe I'm wrong but was the agreement that he would stay on the board for about a year to help with the transition.

According to AP, Marvin Bartley will be interviewed for head coach post while Darren O’Dea is not thought to be in the running. 

Trying to sign Maxwell on a permanent while we have entered contract talks with Jordan Houston who’s contract expires in January. 

If Mathie and the new guy from Hamilton were not at the club I'd be concerned about bringing in another guy with limited experience like Kerr and Roberts but this time I think we have the infrastructure to let the guy just coach, get tactics correct and motivate the players but not worry about contracts and signings and the other stuff, still hope he brings in decent experienced number 2 just to help, we at last seam to be getting it correct off the pitch we now need to get it right on the pitch.

10 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

According to AP, Marvin Bartley will be interviewed for head coach post while Darren O’Dea is not thought to be in the running. 

Trying to sign Maxwell on a permanent while we have entered contract talks with Jordan Houston who’s contract expires in January. 

Houston played really well on Saturday tbf, was a lot more like the player of old clearly being allowed to venture across the halfway line which it looks like he had been imprisoned from doing under Duffy and Hopkin. He's certainly a lot better than McAllister, would be willing to give him an 18 month deal cause i think there's definitely the potential there with him which we saw in glimpses under Kerr and then its went pear shaped under Hopkin and Duffy 

3 minutes ago, rb123! said:

would be willing to give him an 18 month deal

This is the crucial thing. The club has of late been plagued by both terrible cheap short contracts for players who need to be kept (looking at Adeloye in particular right now) or else on pishing away money on extended contracts for total bandits. Getting that right going forward will be crucial. Hopefully a proper off-field team in charge of recruitment will help with that. Or it could end up like Lolkirk.

15 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Houston played really well on Saturday tbf, was a lot more like the player of old clearly being allowed to venture across the halfway line which it looks like he had been imprisoned from doing under Duffy and Hopkin. He's certainly a lot better than McAllister, would be willing to give him an 18 month deal cause i think there's definitely the potential there with him which we saw in glimpses under Kerr and then its went pear shaped under Hopkin and Duffy 

I thought he looked a bit of a weak link on Saturday and was bailed out a few times by McKenzie tracking back. 

I still think he lacks footballing intelligence, his crossing isn't great and his positional sense is pretty poor at times, he did look much better when Kelly was here as they seemed to understand each others game and link up well, but he's certainly gone backwards over the past 2 seasons, no doubt about that.

Can we do better ?

That also remains to be seen.

Houston is a massive jump up on McAllister who doesn't look anywhere near this level, however injuries and loss of form have hampered him I wouldn't rush in with a big contract, I'd rather sign him to end of season and see how he goes, definate player there though 

1 hour ago, Superhursy7 said:

If Mathie and the new guy from Hamilton were not at the club I'd be concerned about bringing in another guy with limited experience like Kerr and Roberts but this time I think we have the infrastructure to let the guy just coach, get tactics correct and motivate the players but not worry about contracts and signings and a the other stuff, still hope he brings in decent experienced number 2 just to hel, we at last seam to be getting it correct off the pitch we now need to get it right on the pitch.

Totally agree with this.

My only niggle and it is a niggle that we end up in a weird place over who is responsible for problems. IE - Is a player poor quality or poorly coached. There will now be a distinction between bringing the players in and who coaches them. Which we have never had before it's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. 

I'm all for the new approach as it's how a lot of bigger teams do it. It should also mean we have continuity when a head coach moves on.

22 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Totally agree with this.

My only niggle and it is a niggle that we end up in a weird place over who is responsible for problems. IE - Is a player poor quality or poorly coached. There will now be a distinction between bringing the players in and who coaches them. Which we have never had before it's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. 

I'm all for the new approach as it's how a lot of bigger teams do it. It should also mean we have continuity when a head coach moves on.

Remember it will not be Mathie who picks the players to sign , the head coach will tell him who he wants and Mathie will do all the negotiations and contract details , any player who signs for Ayr will be identified by the coach and he will be 100% accountable for his performances i am led to believe 

Remember it will not be Mathie who picks the players to sign , the head coach will tell him who he wants and Mathie will do all the negotiations and contract details , any player who signs for Ayr will be identified by the coach and he will be 100% accountable for his performances i am led to believe 
Going by his initial interview on B&W TV I would assume they will be working closely together and any signing targets will be agreed by both

9 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Perhaps that is how it works but today's appointment of a recruitment analyst, who has previous experience of working with Mathie, might lead you to believe that it won't all be the head coaches decision. 

This might be a major reason in the definite change of job title and possibly role and responsibilities this time around. 

Nobody getting to interview stage should be unaware if this is the case. 

Ideally you'd want a joint collaboration between Mathie and the new appointment going forward. 

Edited by BukyOHare

4 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Perhaps that is how it works but today's appointment of a recruitment analyst, who has previous experience of working with Mathie, might lead you to believe that it won't all be the head coaches decision. 

This might be a major reason in the definite change of job title and possibly role and responsibilities this time around. 

Nobody getting to interview stage should be unaware if this is the case. 

Ideally you'd want a joint collaboration between Mathie and the new appointment going forward. 

Yeah - I imagine groups of players that are aligned with the vision of how they want the team to look will be identified and discussed with the head coach. I’m sure the head coach will also be able to identify players they like within this too.

22 hours ago, AuAl said:

The QOS obsession has reached new levels recently. An odd bunch.

I can't speak for other QoS fans but we find ourselves yet again in another scrap at the wrong end of the table.

Seems to me there are three other teams in the shit with us: Morton, Dunfermline and Ayr. So guess what, I regularly have a look at the Morton, Dunfermline and Ayr threads to see what their fans (and others) are saying about their teams - cos it's very relevant to Queens season too.

Add to that, we've had two games cancelled, and we're in a holiday period, so guess what - we're checking out other threads too.

Is this too radical for an "open" fitba forum? It's pretty well why I use P&B, cos I like to hear other non-QoS views.

Edited by Otis Blue

The way I see it - Having Mathie and today's signing of a recruitment analyst making decisions of who can improve the team is a sh*t lot better than Hopkin signing half of a p*sh Morton team and expecting results with p*sh Hoofball tactics.

The ball is rolling now. Ayr are going upwards for the first time since McCall left. Let's have faith.