The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, Roxanne's man said:

Surely McGinty justifies more than hate. 

Actually no, the full backs and wide midfielders allow the freedom to cross into our box, the central midfielders barely track backwards or win the ball back so he's offered so little protection that an already terrible player is just left badly exposed.  If I didn't hate him I'd feel sorry for him (& Baird & Fjørtoft). 

Just now, itzdrk said:

Actually no, the full backs and wide midfielders allow the freedom to cross into our box, the central midfielders barely track backwards or win the ball back so he's offered so little protection that an already terrible player is just left badly exposed.  If I didn't hate him I'd feel sorry for him (& Baird & Fjørtoft). 

This is a fair point. The number of crosses we allow into our box is pretty disgraceful, the second half of the Kilmarnock game was possibly the worst I have seen. There must have been at least twenty, and to be fair Baird and Fjortoft largely defended them excellently. 

McGinty is obviously still dreadful, and has no idea how to defend but still. 

If things were going well then Maxwell leaving wouldn't be too much of a blow. However things are far from well and he's done a good job in an area we are currently struggling for players. No doubt we will sign a few new players but the January window isn't always the greatest. Replacing him right now would just create another problem we don't really need

22 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

the central midfielders barely track backwards or win the ball back so he's offered so little protection that an already terrible player is just left badly exposed.

Fair point, though the midfield isn't much in bodies tbh. Muirhead did okay when he played there. Though your right, Chalmers shows very little of being interested and Murdoch isn't the player he once was, McAllister shouldn't be in that position in the first place.

Though I personally wouldn't have McGinty on the field to make the shitey midfield look shitey-er 😂

2 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Fair point, though the midfield isn't much in bodies tbh. Muirhead did okay when he played there. Though your right, Chalmers shows very little of being interested and Murdoch isn't the player he once was, McAllister shouldn't be in that position in the first place.

Though I personally wouldn't have McGinty on the field to make the shitey midfield look shitey-er 😂

Muirhead was meant to be there to protect the defence and just gets the runaround. Hope he's away.  

57 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Maxwell is a decent player, however he isn’t that great in midfield as it isn’t his position and we could probably do better in there. 

We have no idea if he is better at left back than Reading, and there really isn’t any point in having both of them. 

He is very young and I’m sure will go on to become a very good player, but he doesn’t exactly fit into our side right now. I would be interested to see him getting a go at LB though. 

100% this for me.

I did comment at the time (and so did others) that although he had a good reputation and was an Ayr fan etc that unfortunately his position was the LAST position in the team that we needed filled, especially when we were so short in Midfield.

Maxwell has been ok / verging on pretty decent for us, however he's certainly not irreplaceable and like yourself I would far rather we signed a real midfielder for his position rather than trying to shoehorn him in where he's not capable of showing his best.

For what it's worth I also rate Reading but he's just ended up another victim of our lack of Midfield, lack of a game plan and general malaise throughout the entire team.

45 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Maxwell has been ok / verging on pretty decent for us, however he's certainly not irreplaceable and like yourself I would far rather we signed a real midfielder for his position rather than trying to shoehorn him in where he's not capable of showing his best.

For what it's worth I also rate Reading but he's just ended up another victim of our lack of Midfield, lack of a game plan and general malaise throughout the entire team.

I think Maxwell is clearly a player with a lot of talent and in the right team, with the right coach, would be a major asset. I don't think Duffy got anything like the best out of him but even so I thought the team was much better with him playing than not.

I would hope he will wait to see who our new head coach is going to be before making any decision on whether to move but I could understand why a permanent deal at Partick would be attractive for him.

I doubt that Maxwell was on the list of players needing to be moved on so if the figure of four was to be believed previously then that is now five which is a big ask in a January window.

Edited by rgreig

7 minutes ago, rgreig said:

I doubt that Maxwell was on the list of players needing to be moved on so if the figure of four was to be believed previously then that is now five which is a big ask in a January window.

Where did the figure of four come from? I think we need at least 5/6 signings, hopefully with the same going out even if they are loans (like Miller).

32 minutes ago, rb123! said:

@Finlay21 any idea what the script is with Muirhead, guy has played once in the last 2 months since the derby at the end of October

Believe he has a damaged miniscus , an injury he picked up in the Albion Rovers match 

Edited by Finlay21

7 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Part of me wants them to have to play it as they've clearly "spent" the money on either paying T Wright off or a January signing. 

After the debacle of the last game there with only Killie fans it feels only right and proper if its postponed that its just Ayr fans. 🤣

It does beg the question why the first one wasn't postponed. Can anyone shed any light on that one?

Edit - its because it was on the telly I presume?

Edited by Trogdor

Just now, Trogdor said:

After the debacle of the last game there with only Killie fans it feels only right and proper if its postponed that its just Ayr fans. 🤣

It does beg the question why the first one wasn't postponed. Can anyone shed any light on that one?

Building work was going on meaning two of the stands were closed. Access and safety issues were the reasons given i think