The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

25 minutes ago, TheHonestMan85 said:

My instinct when reading that Bartley article is just "Mmm, naw" rather than an outright "No way". Think it may just be far too much of a gamble considering the shit we are currently in. I understand the word "experienced" has almost become a bad word, but surely where we are, we need someone who's been a manager previously, which doesn't necessarily mean we need a dinosaur like Wright or anything.

We simply can't afford to get this wrong. Our playing squad is fucking dreadful, and we need someone who can get enough out of them to crawl over the line for 8th or better, and then we can think about a rebuild in the summer. 

Of course the argument is that a man who has previously been a manager is not a certainty to work any more than one who is a new manager, but we're not in the position of Dundee United who would only miss out on top 6 or Hibs who would not get a European place. We get this wrong, and go down and it could be a long time before we get back up, looking at League 1.

We don’t need a manager , it’s common knowledge that Mathie will be doing all the off field stuff , what we are looking for is someone to galvanise and coach a squad of players to provide performances to gain winning points , all we need is  someone who knows how to get the best out of people 

Scott Burns retweeting that article all but confirms he's at least in serious talks with us. Whether or not he actually gets the job is another thing. He's not my first choice but I'd far rather have him over someone like Kettlewell or Rice. 

People are either going to look at it two ways. Either that we're giving a chance to an ambitious young coach who will hopefully breathe a bit of fresh air into the squad and work well with Mathie. Or, they'll accuse the club of taking an unnecessary risk in appointing another rookie. My thoughts are it's a gamble but with the amount of work we need to do in January any appointment is going to be a risk. The thing that gives me confidence is the great relationship he already has with Mathie and I think that is something that could massively work in our favour. 

1 minute ago, Hursty said:

Wonder if Jim McIntyre even bothered filling out the application form for the 4th time in 3 years 🤣

Probably just been sending the same one in each time a vacancy pops up. Not as if his CV will have changed. 

After the shambolic reigns of our two previous managers from this season, I'm daring to be optimistic about this appointment.  

I'd rather we gave it to an "up-and-coming" guy like Marvin, than most of the experienced managers who are out of work in Scotland currently and would have been within our price bracket.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Scott Burns retweeting that article all but confirms he's at least in serious talks with us. Whether or not he actually gets the job is another thing. He's not my first choice but I'd far rather have him over someone like Kettlewell or Rice. 

People are either going to look at it two ways. Either that we're giving a chance to an ambitious young coach who will hopefully breathe a bit of fresh air into the squad and work well with Mathie. Or, they'll accuse the club of taking an unnecessary risk in appointing another rookie. My thoughts are it's a gamble but with the amount of work we need to do in January any appointment is going to be a risk. The thing that gives me confidence is the great relationship he already has with Mathie and I think that is something that could massively work in our favour. 

Kind of where I am, I'm genuinely torn on it. Like I said, Bartley getting it certainly doesn't fill me with dread or anything like some names that have been mentioned, I'm just unsure if an all-out gamble on someone who has never been a manager is wise, given where we are.

6 minutes ago, TheHonestMan85 said:

I know that they guarantee nothing, I agree. Just unsure taking a punt on someone who has no previous experience AND is at a team who haven't been great for a while either on the eye or results wise, is a chance worth taking given the predicament we are going to be in for the season.

That said, I genuinely do have faith in Mathie and believe he will have a far greater chance of getting it right than anyone else at the club.

I think you are underestimating the job he his doing with Martindale at Livingston, a team punching well above their weight , if it were to be him I think he would be a good fit , I believe we will get someone who is currently coaching 

I wouldn't be against Bartley at all assuming some Livi fans on here can confirm that he's a capable coach, someone who can get the best out of a group, and not just another guy who's living off the on field success and very good recruitment of Martindale. 

We don't need reminding how our last appointment from that coaching tree went....... 

2 minutes ago, TheHonestMan85 said:

Kind of where I am, I'm genuinely torn on it. Like I said, Bartley getting it certainly doesn't fill me with dread or anything like some names that have been mentioned, I'm just unsure if an all-out gamble on someone who has never been a manager is wise, given where we are.

Having Mathie there definitely negates the gamble element of a less experienced manager. 

Someone like Bartley will also have been exposed to analytics from his playing days and should be able to buy into the bigger picture that Mathie is aiming for. 

After the shitshow of what we've all been through its just nice to have a small element just to be positive about again. 

It's important (to me) that we get someone who is a bit positive, ideally can be funny as this group of boys desperately look Iike they could do with some fun in their misery stricken lives.  I think Bartley ticks those boxes for sure.  

No idea about his coaching ability but he's got himself well connected with the media over the last few years and generally seems a liked guy in the game.

Hopefully he can get together something ok with support from a good coaching team and Mathie overseeing things.  It doesn't sound awful but we may have to take some initial medicine (which we can stomach given how this season has gone so far) - as long as we see effort and application we will generally be ok.  

I don’t get the point a number of fans are saying we need someone who has been a manager , our best performances in recent years was down to how players were coached during training sessions , they were taking by 2 good coaches in Scally  and Stewart , McCall very rarely took anything to do at training , he got the players to fit his way of playing and left it up to the others to do the coaching , Mathie will likely be taking over some of the roles McCall made off the pitch and give the new coaching team the player’s they want to suit the style of football and let then do similar to  Scally  and Stewart 

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I’m hearing conflicting reports. Will we have any fans in on Saturday?

Unless they're doing a socially distanced Christmas dinner on the hallowed turf i'd doubt it, the emergency chairs everyone brought along would be a bit wobbly on the terracing if you ask me

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I’m hearing conflicting reports. Will we have any fans in on Saturday?

Decision due tomorrow I believe , after deducting necessary staff, press etc I think the maximum number of season ticket holders would be around  400 , very tricky position for club to decide who gets in , ballot , online and first come first served , only allowed if you have had 3 jabs  ? really not sure how they would work it