The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Canny beat @TheScarf coming on to do their I'm so clever routine but never having a clue what they are talking about tbf

Lol wut? The moron I’ve quoted below is claiming your chairman has a lot of money and is a fan yet you have shite players.  

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

Have you been drinking? Or still on a high from your win last night.

Money being no issue is the equivalent of saying there is no limit. You can spend whatever.

I said funds should be made available and the chairman has deep pockets. I'm not claiming he's Uncle Roy at Ross County. 

Again, not quite sure why this has you frothing at the mouth.

Again, you literally said money is no issue to your chairman. You’re having a nightmare here. 

Just now, TheScarf said:

Lol wut? The moron I’ve quoted below is claiming your chairman has a lot of money and is a fan yet you have shite players.  

Again, you literally said money is no issue to your chairman. You’re having a nightmare here. 

If that was the case you would literally quote it.

Bored GIF

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Don’t back doon, double doon.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Smith having loads of money doesn't automatically equate to us having a good team or good players. He isn't the one identifying the players to be signed. Shite managers sign shite players. Shite chairmen hire shite managers. The only thing Smith is guilty of is hiring Hopkin in the first place. It's not his fault that we signed half the Morton team. 

Just now, Trogdor said:

Nope, I'll remind you of it forever more btw.

FWIW someone on this thread said it but it wisnae me. 

Aye I think you replied to my question to him.

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

Both of these posts seem to overlook the concept that a club would set a budget at the start of a season and then simply ask all subsequent managers to do their job within it. I see no reason why 'Dave Smith' is now suddenly going to fork out extra money that he will never get back in January, on top of what you already accept to be 'the most expensive squad assembled in years'. If it was deemed sufficient for Ayr to compete in July at this level then it is sufficient now as well. 

I'd expect Ayr to shift a couple of players in and out in January, just as Morton and Queens will. Hamilton are an unknown quantity, but all will probably be relying on effective loans to make the difference rather than any major squad investment. 

There are a couple of reasons why the chairman could put more into the transfer pot. Firstly he is new and perhaps doesn't want a catastrophe haunting him during his first season. He may also weigh up the financial cost of relegation next year and hedge via a smaller investment now to avoid this.  There is also the possibility that some on contracts can't contribute or be shifted on so bodies are needed to cover the absolute basics

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Smith having loads of money doesn't automatically equate to us having a good team or good players. He isn't the one identifying the players to be signed. Shite managers sign shite players. Shite chairmen hire shite managers. The only thing Smith is guilty of is hiring Hopkin in the first place. It's not his fault that we signed half the Morton team. 

I wouldn't go to far as to say he was a shite chairman, just very naïve. If he was convinced by David Hopkin that he could create a competitive championship team with players from a team that finished below them, then he's obviously just inexperienced. I think a director of football is needed.

However, if finances aren't a problem, then surely it's safe to expect some big names in January 🤔

45 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

What I’m finding hard to grasp is if money is no issue why don’t Gardyne/McKay/Polworth/Robinson/Todorov play for Ayr United?

It would be wrong to say money is no issue, like everyone else we work to a budget.

I think geography would play a big part in the first two you've named staying in the Highlands and our County neighbours still have a top league budget so we were never seriously in the running for the other two you named. Todorov infamously had apparently shaken hands and agreed to come to us but that fell through. It happens.

We're more fortunate than others in having a chairman who seems to be willing to back us. That doesn't mean that mistakes haven't been made with the manager chosen and signings.

But to reiterate it's wrong to say money is no issue.

4 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Because we didn’t use the money wisely and let an utter charlatan in David Hopkin build the squad. It’s really not hard to understand tbh. 

If money is no issue you would have better players. It’s as simple as that. Who your manager is, is relevant.  It’s not really hard to understand tbh.

Just now, TheScarf said:

If money is no issue you would have better players. It’s as simple as that. Who your manager is, is relevant.  It’s not really hard to understand tbh.

You not familiar with David Hopkin and his work?