The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Of course - but at this point I have absolutely no idea who that is. 

The truth is there probably isn't a ready made list. You look at Tam Courts going to Dundee Utd and making an excellent start. Could someone with a similar profile have gone to a full time Championship team before making the step up? Possibly. 

As a fanbase we'd be extremely critical of this type of manager as it hasn't worked for us in the past.

But like it or not its the way to go if we want to progress, keep going for the usual suspects off the McBookie list and you'll get the same output as other clubs have had. 

You need somebody with fresh ideas and a knowledge of modern methods, Ian Murray, Kevin Rutkiewicz or Kevin Thomson. 

Edited by BukyOHare

Doing well is all relative. If we want to do more than merely survive at this level we need a better manager. 

He got Dumbarton to a 5th placed finish so that’s slightly better than doing well when you consider they were PT. I’m sure they’ll be able to tell you more about him and you do have to take into consideration the Jack Ross factor but I think he’d do well for us.

46 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He got Dumbarton to a 5th placed finish so that’s slightly better than doing well when you consider they were PT. I’m sure they’ll be able to tell you more about him and you do have to take into consideration the Jack Ross factor but I think he’d do well for us.

I'm not so sure. 

He was successful at Dumbarton no doubt - in his first gig. He was then an abject failure at St Mirren. There's an argument over how good he's been at Airdrie. Watching them get comfortably ragdolled by Morton in the playoffs should give pause for thought. I know they are top of the league right now buts it's still early - 2 points separate the top 4.

Part time and full time are very different demands as well. I'd genuinely be disappointed with Murray.

However, I'd have taken Yogi and you wouldn't so it just shows how tricky it is to get the right manager who is the right fit for the club.

37 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

There's an argument over how good he's been at Airdrie.

Over a period of time they've always been there or thereabouts in League 1. I wouldn't know how their wage budget compares with their rivals season after season but he's always struck me as being  capable at building a squad and looks to have decent contacts when it comes to getting loan players in. 

I wouldn't be too critical of his time at St Mirren either. 

I'm not so sure. 
He was successful at Dumbarton no doubt - in his first gig. He was then an abject failure at St Mirren. There's an argument over how good he's been at Airdrie. Watching them get comfortably ragdolled by Morton in the playoffs should give pause for thought. I know they are top of the league right now buts it's still early - 2 points separate the top 4.
Part time and full time are very different demands as well. I'd genuinely be disappointed with Murray.
However, I'd have taken Yogi and you wouldn't so it just shows how tricky it is to get the right manager who is the right fit for the club.

He probably wouldn’t be my first pick but I don’t think I’d be annoyed or disappointed. FYI I wouldn’t have been disappointed with Hughes either, I just don’t think he suits what we’re trying to do in terms of the long term.

18 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He probably wouldn’t be my first pick but I don’t think I’d be annoyed or disappointed. FYI I wouldn’t have been disappointed with Hughes either, I just don’t think he suits what we’re trying to do in terms of the long term.

Apologies, I always thought you were a never yogi. 

The long term is the critical point in all of this tbf. What is the long term aim and how long are we willing to give the manager to get it right? The nature of the modern game is that managers don't get time to build something up. They need to be an instant success or they get their jotters.

I'm glad I'm not Dave Smith. We are really at a bit of a crossroads and it feels like the upward momentum from 2017/18 through to 2019/20 has reversed we've been on a downward trend since. 

26 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

You're right enough, 0.75 points per game with St Mirren in the Championship is about their level. 🤣

So of nearly 250 games as a manger we should judge him on his 21 games at St Mirren, that seems fair.

Anyway, show me a manager who doesn't have an element of "failure" on their CV. 

I don't agree with the thinking that the manager has to have played for us to be considered as manager either. Let's get the best guy for the job, whoever that is. 

Apologies, I always thought you were a never yogi. 
The long term is the critical point in all of this tbf. What is the long term aim and how long are we willing to give the manager to get it right? The nature of the modern game is that managers don't get time to build something up. They need to be an instant success or they get their jotters.
I'm glad I'm not Dave Smith. We are really at a bit of a crossroads and it feels like the upward momentum from 2017/18 through to 2019/20 has reversed we've been on a downward trend since. 

I might have came across earlier as if I had some personal vandetta against the guy but I was just trying to work out why some on here actually wanted him as our manager given that when you break his career down he’s not really that great a manager. He seems to cause issues everywhere he goes and I think we could do without that type of character at the club. In saying that, if we did what Ross County did and gave him no more than 6 months I’d probably go for it. He’s absolutely not worth it in the long term though and for that, I’d rather we just stick with Duffy and reassess in the summer.

15 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

So of nearly 250 games as a manger we should judge him on his 21 games at St Mirren, that seems fair.

It is relevant when it was his last (and only) full time gig at this level. 

Edited by Trogdor

Hughes will get Dunfermline to finish above us. After that, who knows. 

When Duffy was announced, it was obvious that we weren’t going to appoint Hughes. Robertson is a possibility but I’d doubt he would realistically take over at Ayr. Craig Levein would be in the same boat. 

The majority of promising candidates from teams below us have all gone off the boil in the last year. 

Some of the usual suspects have been employed like Sheerin and Dodds with mixed success. 

Assuming that Duffy will not be in charge of the first team, I hope he will still be there in some capacity, The next appointment will be a very difficult one to make let alone get right. 

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It is relevant when it was his last (and only) full time gig at this level. 

Out of 250 games as a manager, it really isn't. 

I just hope that Davie Smith's thinking this time round is clearer than it was. For the experience of going through the process not so long ago, it certainly should be. 

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

More chance of you getting the job than these two. 

We need to be ambitious but also realistic. 

Robertson last managed a team that finished just above us and Levein is currently at Brechin so neither are exactly out of our league. 
the problem with them is location. Robertson in particular isn’t likely to uproot for what Ayr would pay him, considering he could trouser a salary in Inverness for the medium term.

I said they were unlikely. But there is no way either are unrealistic if they were Glasgow based.  

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

Out of 250 games as a manager, it really isn't. 

I just hope that Davie Smith's thinking this time round is clearer than it was. For the experience of going through the process not so long ago, it certainly should be. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. For me Ian Murray is not the answer. His success at this level was with part time Dumbarton 7/8 seasons ago now.

I agree wrt. Smith. In hindsight, the Hopkin appointment was a result of naivety. I imagine he's learnt a lot from going through it and should be more thorough and careful next time round.