The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

It also raises the questions if it’s the end of the season why not now? Is it because we can’t afford to afford compensation to a lower level club, if that’s the case then we might aswell close the gates to Somerset park just now. Is it because we’re waiting on a senior player (Moffat?) to retire and step up to managerial role. 

Why would you need to take him now  , his current transfer market is zilch , no harm at all of appointing at end of season ,anyone who thinks managers ( or agents )  don’t talk to players at other clubs throughout the season regarding moves I think are way off the mark 

13 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Do you honestly think that a  manager who was moving club around the end of the season would not have someone speaking to his targets  beforehand 

No, I don’t believe that.  If a manager is employed somewhere else then i doubt they’d be already working for us while having their wages paid by someone else.  Would also throw up potential conflict of interest scenarios if the mystery man is seen to be chasing targets for us that are conceivably targets for his current employer.  I presume there could also be issues if we approached an individual without permission of their existing club.  

In any case, we need to start making decisions on players we want to retain before they become available on pre-contracts - Muirhead, Reading and Murdoch are 3 we’d want to keep.  We probably have tough decisions to make on the likes of Houston as well - retain or free?  These are decisions that can’t wait until next May.

Edited by HMIP

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

He’s a far better manager than Jim Duffy. He won the Scottish cup with ICT ffs. 

Don’t get all the hype with Hughes , look at his most recent managerial stats , he has only won 12 games in the last 5 years  and both his last 2 teams punted him after short term contracts 

21 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Why would you need to take him now  , his current transfer market is zilch , no harm at all of appointing at end of season ,anyone who thinks managers ( or agents )  don’t talk to players at other clubs throughout the season regarding moves I think are way off the mark 

Because it allows them to start working with the current squad and he can decide who he wants to keep/punt for next season. 

If we somehow had somehow identified who was going to take over at the end of the season, it would be incredibly risky. Obviously for the reasons already stayed, but other jobs will become available which could interest them, or their current team could nosedive. 

If on the off chance we have identified someone like Ian Murray (for arguments sake) to be our next manager. The reasons why it might not be possible to let him go right now, besides compensation, might be,

He wants a fresh start to build his squad in the summer and doesn’t want to have to work with a squad that he doesn’t rate. He might also not want to risk getting relegated whilst his successor takes Airdrie up. He may also want to finish the job with Airdrie and should they go up and we go down he can turn round and back out of the offer.

If for example we asked Peter Murphy, he would have to relocate to closer by as I believe he still stays in Carlisle. He might not want to balance having to move him, his family with trying to keep a team from relegation.

FWIW I think it’s more likely we have a shortlist in place rather than one name and we can use the first week or two after the season ends to get someone in place.

3 hours ago, HMIP said:

He won the Scottish Cup with Inverness and got them to 3rd in the league which qualified them for Europe.  I believe he was voted Manager of the Year during his time at Inverness as well.  Finished 7th in his final season with ICT.

But all that counts for nothing because a couple of ICT fans on here have decided his record wasn’t good enough for them.  

Hughes was indeed superb for ICT but, as has been stated many times on here before, as soon as he started to lose the squad he inherited from Butcher it went wrong. His signings were rotten (Dani Lopez, Nat Wedderburn, Liam Hughes to name just some of the garbage he signed), he started to fall out with a number of important first teamers and had a public spat with the board over budgets and bemoaned missing out on transfer targets. For several weeks a club that kept their dirty laundry behind close doors to be dealt with were routinely having it flaunted in public by the manager which did not go down well.

Whilst his aims were admirable (keep talented players instead of losing them for nothing) the board couldn't magic up the money he needed to do this and with Hughes still reeling from not being allowed to speak to Dundee United at Christmas time it was best that he moved on. 

You are right to talk up his Scottish Cup win and finishing third in the league but the 7th placed finish the season after is a bit false given that we only achieved that with a number of wins after the split. Prior to that we had won about 3 games in 4 months under Hughes. Only a number of wins over (some) teams who already had their flip flops on saw us jump up to 7th. Obviously keeping him would have been better than the disaster that as Richie Foran but as I say his very public falling out with the board meant he had to be relieved of his duties. He was excellent for us for those 2 or 3 seasons but the relationship soured between manager and board and when that happens it's normally the manager who moves on.

This blog sums things up quite well:

http://nareystoepoker.blogspot.com/2016/05/are-hughes-and-inverness-heading-for.html

Edited by RiG

3 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

Don’t get all the hype with Hughes , look at his most recent managerial stats , he has only won 12 games in the last 5 years  and both his last 2 teams punted him after short term contracts 

Sounds better than Hopkin. 🤣

3 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

Any manager we attract will have been punted by a previous club it's almost inevitable unless they are a novice. McCall had been punted by about 3/4 teams when he joined us. That's football management. 

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I tend to agree. Both of those are absolutely wild takes in my view.

To be fair, without having a huge knowledge - didn’t Murray do well with Dumbarton and is doing well with Airdrie. Obviously a shambles at St Mirren in between. Not an entirely wild take.... in fact he might be the best of a lot of bad options now. Especially if Petrie, Robertson, Levein etc are discounted. Not saying he is someone I particularly want though! 

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

To be fair, without having a huge knowledge - didn’t Murray do well with Dumbarton and is doing well with Airdrie. Obviously a shambles at St Mirren in between. Not an entirely wild take.... in fact he might be the best of a lot of bad options now. Especially if Petrie, Robertson, Levein etc are discounted. Not saying he is someone I particularly want though! 

Doing well is all relative. If we want to do more than merely survive at this level we need a better manager. 

3 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Because it allows them to start working with the current squad and he can decide who he wants to keep/punt for next season. 

This, while hopefully keeping us in the Championship as well. 

Somehow we're expected to believe that the mysterious new manager might actually be pulling strings in the background in terms of who stays and goes for January and beyond. Look out for clandestine park bench meetings at various South Ayrshire locations as coded messages are exchanged. 

jean-luc godard spy GIF

A baffling series of events for this season just got even crazier. 

Only down Tryfield Place.