The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Why though? He isn’t a very good manager and there aren’t any fans of other teams at this level that would be as desperate as some of us to get him in.

He’s a far better manager than Jim Duffy. He won the Scottish cup with ICT ffs. 

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

I don’t think there was any contact. The board wanted people to apply and the way Hughes goes on on the radio he expects to be headhunted rather than have to go through an application process.

I didn’t think there was an application process this time round.   Seemed like we didn’t really know who we wanted and in the meantime Duffy got a couple of decent results against the poorest teams in the league so he just got it by default.  We’re basically now waiting to see if there is someone out there who does a bad enough job elsewhere that they get sacked and become available to us next Summer. Otherwise, we’ll stick with Duffy.

2 minutes ago, HMIP said:

I didn’t think there was an application process this time round.   Seemed like we didn’t really know who we wanted and in the meantime Duffy got a couple of decent results against the poorest teams in the league so he just got it by default.  We’re basically now waiting to see if there is someone out there who does a bad enough job elsewhere that they get sacked and become available to us next Summer. Otherwise, we’ll stick with Duffy.

Aye you’re right. I was thinking back to when Hopkin was appointed and Hughes was on the radio basically saying he was interested but didn’t apply.

It all sort of blends in to one now.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

See if John Hughes never played for us, would we have so many fans clamouring for his appointment?

He won the league with FalkirK and got them to a Scottish Cup final.  He won the Scottish Cup with Inverness and got them to 3rd in the league which qualified them for Europe.  I believe he was voted Manager of the Year during his time at Inverness as well.  Finished 7th in his final season with ICT.  He also dug Ross County out of a deep hole last season.  Not sure why Hughes wasn’t retained by them for this year, but it’s worth noting they are tailspinning to relegation under Malky MacKay.  There are blots on his record, most obviously Raith, but then so did McCall who was fired at various points by Morton, Queen of the South and Dundee Utd.

But all that counts for nothing because a couple of ICT fans on here have decided his record wasn’t good enough for them.  

He’s a far better manager than Jim Duffy. He won the Scottish cup with ICT ffs. 

With a team built by someone else. I don’t buy the whole thing that winning a cup somehow makes you a terrific manager. They played 5 teams on the way to winning that cup and 2 of them were in the league below, and 1 was a St Mirren team that ended up relegated at the end of that season. Finishing 3rd with ICT is a far better achievement and arguably the highlight of Hughes’ career but again, it wasn’t really his team.
He won the league with FalkirK and got them to a Scottish Cup final.  He won the Scottish Cup with Inverness and got them to 3rd in the league which qualified them for Europe.  I believe he was voted Manager of the Year during his time at Inverness as well.  Finished 7th in his final season with ICT.  He also dug Ross County out of a deep hole last season.  Not sure why Hughes wasn’t retained by them for this year, but it’s worth noting they are tailspinning to relegation under Malky MacKay.  There are blots on his record, most obviously Raith, but then so did McCall who was fired at various points by Morton, Queen of the South and Dundee Utd.
But all that counts for nothing because a couple of ICT fans on here have decided his record wasn’t good enough for them.  

Already spoken about the cup win with ICT. He left ICT because he spunked their whole budget up the wall with shite signings and then fucked off when he wasn’t allowed more money. How do you think he’d cope at this level with less money?

Raith is far more than a simple blot on his record. He walked into that club with a Billy big baws attitude and fell flat on his face when the Raith players saw him for being the egomaniacal fud that he really is.

ICT fans are far more qualified to speak about his qualities than we are given he was their actual manager. I’d trust their opinions over folk wanting him as manager because he was our captain once upon a time and comes across “as a guid honest laddie”.

17 minutes ago, HMIP said:

The general consensus seems to be if he inherits a good / decent squad, he can aget more out of them. If he is allowed to sign his own players he struggles. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

With a team built by someone else. I don’t buy the whole thing that winning a cup somehow makes you a terrific manager. They played 5 teams on the way to winning that cup and 2 of them were in the league below, and 1 was a St Mirren team that ended up relegated at the end of that season. Finishing 3rd with ICT is a far better achievement and arguably the highlight of Hughes’ career but again, it wasn’t really his team.

Already spoken about the cup win with ICT. He left ICT because he spunked their whole budget up the wall with shite signings and then fucked off when he wasn’t allowed more money. How do you think he’d cope at this level with less money?

Raith is far more than a simple blot on his record. He walked into that club with a Billy big baws attitude and fell flat on his face when the Raith players saw him for being the egomaniacal fud that he really is.

ICT fans are far more qualified to speak about his qualities than we are given he was their actual manager. I’d trust their opinions over folk wanting him as manager because he was our captain once upon a time and comes across “as a guid honest laddie”.

^ ^ ^ kens the score.

If Peter Murphy never played for us, would anyone even contemplate him as an option? 

Probably not given none of us would ever know who he was. However, I’d see far more merit in taking a chance on an up and coming manager who has probably done as well as could be expected with Annan over someone like John Hughes.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If I was you I wouldn’t scrutinise Jim Duffy’s managerial record too closely.  

I guess in the end it comes down to what market we are shopping in for managers.  Is it an experienced out of work type with a mixed bag record, a Peter Murphy type who’s done a solid if unspectacular job at a lower level or a total rookie like Mark Kerr?   Choose and be damned I suppose.  

The general concern for us is that Smith got burned so badly with Hopkin that he has lost confidence in his own decision making to the point that he feels the best way to avoid making another bad decision is to make no decision at all.  There seems to be optimism with some fans that we have actually identified a long term candidate but for some reason they won’t be available until next Summer.  Doesn’t seem very credible to me if I’m honest.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Yes, I think that will be the interesting part and will tell us whether he would have been a good long term appointment for us or not. 

ETA, I think we will end up with Duffy by default next season. 

Personally can’t see that happening 

If I was you I wouldn’t scrutinise Jim Duffy’s managerial record too closely.  
I guess in the end it comes down to what market we are shopping in for managers.  Is it an experienced out of work type with a mixed bag record, a Peter Murphy type who’s done a solid if unspectacular job at a lower level or a total rookie like Mark Kerr?   Choose and be damned I suppose.  
The general concern for us is that Smith got burned so badly with Hopkin that he has lost confidence in his own decision making to the point that he feels the best way to avoid making another bad decision is to make no decision at all.  There seems to be optimism with some fans that we have actually identified a long term candidate but for some reason they won’t be available until next Summer.  Doesn’t seem very credible to me if I’m honest.

I’ve never once claimed that Duffy is an excellent manager but I’m happy to stick with him until the summer.

3 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Almost certainly 

If true, that puts us in a really difficult situation for next season.  Who is making decisions about signings and contracts and when will they start making them?   We’ve a huge rebuild on our hands and we really can’t afford to be sitting in early July needing to sign 8 or 9 players - that’ll just leave us chasing our tail again.

3 minutes ago, HMIP said:

If true, that puts us in a really difficult situation for next season.  Who is making decisions about signings and contracts and when will they start making them?   We’ve a huge rebuild on our hands and we really can’t afford to be sitting in early July needing to sign 8 or 9 players - that’ll just leave us chasing our tail again.

It also raises the questions if it’s the end of the season why not now? Is it because we can’t afford to afford compensation to a lower level club, if that’s the case then we might aswell close the gates to Somerset park just now. Is it because we’re waiting on a senior player (Moffat?) to retire and step up to managerial role. 

2 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Do you honestly think that a  manager who was moving club around the end of the season would not have someone speaking to his targets  beforehand