The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I don't disagree with you but every player you sign is a gamble and how they fit into a specific setup also a gamble.

Take the gamble out of it by getting managers cut like McCall, Campbell or McGlynn to name but three. Their teams all play different styles and formations but what links all three is a vast knowledge of the game and the ability to build teams made up of different individuals who can then make clever additions as and when needed. 

Usually with astute loan moves through contacts they have in the game, players they've worked well with in the past, or markets that others just don't look at. 

It isn't a coincidence that some clubs have fewer failed gambles in recruitment than others. 

At all levels of the game, the teams that recruit well, relative to their budget, are the ones that go onto succeed / overachieve. 

We're seeing what happens first hand when you don't recruit well enough. 

Edited by BukyOHare

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Going back to Kerr, I still maintain that Bell leaving was what really unsettled us and ultimately screwed us, as his leadership qualities and calming influence can't be underestimated and his sudden departure caused so much uncertainty in more ways than just on the pitch and I really don't think we ever really recovered from that.

I agree. Bell would have added the much needed level head at the back. Though to be fair, If I was in a team where the majority of other players had left, I'd contemplate leaving myself. He maybe saw what was coming and thought '😳F*ck that'. I'm certain he had a job out with Somerset park and couldn't commit to full time football, which is a shame 😐 He went back to McCall as well as Geggan, Docherty 🙄 etc....

I'm sure there has to be a few players kicking about somewhere that can add something to this team.

I agree. Bell would have added the much needed level head at the back. Though to be fair, If I was in a team where the majority of other players had left, I'd contemplate leaving myself. He maybe saw what was coming and thought '[emoji15]F*ck that'. I'm certain he had a job out with Somerset park and couldn't commit to full time football, which is a shame [emoji52] He went back to McCall as well as Geggan, Docherty [emoji849] etc....
I'm sure there has to be a few players kicking about somewhere that can add something to this team.

I know a few folk have alluded to it on here but I did also hear it was purely down to his job that Bell left. By all accounts he was close to leaving every summer after we won the league but was talked out it by McCall. Maybe Kerr wasn’t able to do that or didn’t try hard enough. He probably wasn’t up to this level anymore but in the dressing room he’d have been a big boost as well as Geggan who I feel we should’ve kept on as well.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I know a few folk have alluded to it on here but I did also hear it was purely down to his job that Bell left. By all accounts he was close to leaving every summer after we won the league but was talked out it by McCall. Maybe Kerr wasn’t able to do that or didn’t try hard enough. He probably wasn’t up to this level anymore but in the dressing room he’d have been a big boost as well as Geggan who I feel we should’ve kept on as well.

Both were great players, no doubt. Though I'd rather Adams over both anyday 👍😊

9 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Some idiot then try and sell it on Ayrshire buy & sell

Actually, from that point of view, it might be a good idea for the shop to sell something similar 🤔

Roxanne would go daft if I put something like that up in the living room but I know the wee man would love one in his bedroom.

18 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Actually, from that point of view, it might be a good idea for the shop to sell something similar 🤔

Roxanne would go daft if I put something like that up in the living room but I know the wee man would love one in his bedroom.

https://www.jgbsteelcraft.co.uk/product-category/ayr-united-football-club-merchandise/