The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Not to dwell too much on last night but this is more of an offset point anyway and not just a dig at our club but most clubs.

Why are we having a sudden urge to go cashless at turnstiles and all this online ticket shite, it doesn't bother me cause i'm younger and are alright at doing the online stuff but a lot of older people and causuals are definately put off by that. 

I mean look at tickets for the derby, if they'd been for sale in the shop like usual i think we'd have got some more people, plus to put my Lord Sugar hat on for a minute i think the club as a whole loses out on income because if we had even say 1,500 extra "casual" supporters say going into the shop to buy tickets there's a good chance quite a few would buy some merchandise. Say for example even 1,000 spent on average like £30 in the shop there's £30,000 straightaway....

I know the online move was cause of covid and yes it's still about but still we've "opened back up" as such so i don't see why we don't go back to having some cash gates and the ability to buy tickets in person for likes of derby matches. Yes the online works to a degree and serves it purpose for most in terms of saving time and travel to get a ticket but it also loses out on some too IMO

8 hours ago, rb123! said:

Not to dwell too much on last night but this is more of an offset point anyway and not just a dig at our club but most clubs.

Why are we having a sudden urge to go cashless at turnstiles and all this online ticket shite, it doesn't bother me cause i'm younger and are alright at doing the online stuff but a lot of older people and causuals are definately put off by that. 

I mean look at tickets for the derby, if they'd been for sale in the shop like usual i think we'd have got some more people, plus to put my Lord Sugar hat on for a minute i think the club as a whole loses out on income because if we had even say 1,500 extra "casual" supporters say going into the shop to buy tickets there's a good chance quite a few would buy some merchandise. Say for example even 1,000 spent on average like £30 in the shop there's £30,000 straightaway....

I know the online move was cause of covid and yes it's still about but still we've "opened back up" as such so i don't see why we don't go back to having some cash gates and the ability to buy tickets in person for likes of derby matches. Yes the online works to a degree and serves it purpose for most in terms of saving time and travel to get a ticket but it also loses out on some too IMO

If you remember the online tickets came in prior to covid when the 19/20 season started. 

I’d agree though, not selling tickets  right up till kick off was ridiculous 

7 hours ago, rb123! said:

We sell tickets in shop right up to kick off for every game from 7 days out either for walk ins or phone orders  , the police forced us to not sell tickets in the shop on Tuesday  they were available online and only a small number of people called asking for tickets I don’t think anyone can complain about our ticket selling process as we give every option to buy tickets with technology and old fashioned turn up buy ticket right to kick off 

Just now, ryanayr1987 said:

If you remember the online tickets came in prior to covid when the 19/20 season started. 

I’d agree though, not selling tickets  right up till kick off was ridiculous 

They were on sale to 3pm , we had less than a dozen people looking for tickets after that time 

1 hour ago, Finlay21 said:

We sell tickets in shop right up to kick off for every game from 7 days out either for walk ins or phone orders  , the police forced us to not sell tickets in the shop on Tuesday  they were available online and only a small number of people called asking for tickets I don’t think anyone can complain about our ticket selling process as we give every option to buy tickets with technology and old fashioned turn up buy ticket right to kick off 

So you’re saying nobody can complain about your ticket selling process, I find that laughable, it took me over 3 hours to buy tickets and I was one of the successful stories. Mates an Ayr fan and he decided on Tuesday morning that he was going but gave up trying as he had to juggle work and the lengthy process of trying online to get a ticket.

Always find it hilarious when people start spouting the old cliches about buying tickets online being OK if you’re young, but what about all the auld folk who are too thick to work the internet..   My dad is in his 80s and manages to buy a ticket without the least bit of bother.  And you know what?  If you have a issue, phone the club shop.  You’ll find they’re pretty helpful. 

Some folk really do have the memory span of a goldfish.  I can remember any number of times having to queue in the rain outside the club shop to buy tickets for big games.  Or maybe you prefer endlessly mashing the redial button trying to phone through to the club shop?  Was it really that much better a system? 

45 minutes ago, Killiefan said:

So you’re saying nobody can complain about your ticket selling process, I find that laughable, it took me over 3 hours to buy tickets and I was one of the successful stories. Mates an Ayr fan and he decided on Tuesday morning that he was going but gave up trying as he had to juggle work and the lengthy process of trying online to get a ticket.

If you read the guys  post it was about tickets being available in  shop nothing to do with buying online , normally not an issue with online , Tuesdays game was down to ticket provider underestimating the amount people  buying tickets , a schoolboy error of which they were giving plenty of feedback 

Edited by Finlay21

It wasn't the ticket thing that got me, it was the passport thing. Did anyone actually get stopped? 

I had my NHS passport ready to flash on the way in but I didn't see anyone getting stopped. Just a certain few I presume?

Hard as hell to try and get into that thing from the NHS aswell, download the app and then type names and use finger prints 🙄 Futuristic stuff.

16 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

If you read the guys  post it was about tickets being available in  shop nothing to do with buying online , normally not an issue with online , Tuesdays game was down to ticket provider underestimating the amount people  buying tickets , a schoolboy error of which they were giving plenty of feedback 

How as a club can you let a ticket provider underestimate sales for a derby, surely the schoolboy error starts with Ayr. How many tickets did you expect to sell?

1 hour ago, Killiefan said:

How as a club can you let a ticket provider underestimate sales for a derby, surely the schoolboy error starts with Ayr. How many tickets did you expect to sell?

Two buses were all that was expected. 

6 hours ago, Killiefan said:

The system crashed , provider had to put a fix in place that required an overnight update , and system was up to speed at 6am on day 2 of the sales , can’t believe anyone who wanted a ticket online on the first 5 days of sale did not get one as the last Kilmarnock end tickets were available up until then before selling out 

8 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

I take it Ayr, like Kilmarnock, don’t offer any option for you to use contactless as a method of payment at a turnstile? Is that something that has been discussed as an option at all? I appreciate that trying to bring in new options like that are neither cheap or easy so it’s not a criticism, just a question.

I would love an option to walk up to the turnstile at Rugby Park and just swipe my card for entry via contactless. I suppose with the QR codes on your phone that is really all you are doing but as others have said some people can use that as an option easily (regardless of age) whereas others struggle.

6 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I take it Ayr, like Kilmarnock, don’t offer any option for you to use contactless as a method of payment at a turnstile? Is that something that has been discussed as an option at all? I appreciate that trying to bring in new options like that are neither cheap or easy so it’s not a criticism, just a question.

I would love an option to walk up to the turnstile at Rugby Park and just swipe my card for entry via contactless. I suppose with the QR codes on your phone that is really all you are doing but as others have said some people can use that as an option easily (regardless of age) whereas others struggle.

It's because while you don't have to do it in the championship, you have to give a name and address in the Premiership, apparently. 

47 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I believe it was discussed but the cost was exceptionally high along with the fact that it would slow up the entry as someone would need to manually enter the cost of entry prior to supporters tapping machine , I know at Ayr they are putting in ticket kiosks as part of the new hub to allow supporters who can’t purchase online to buy a paper copy 

3 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

It becomes quite expensive to offer that because you cannot just support contactless - you need a full card payment capability. Remember that you get asked to enter your PIN after a certain number of contactless transactions or amount spent since last PIN entry, so you cannot guarantee contactless for every customer. There are some exceptions like London Underground where there is no PIN entry capability but I doubt Ayr United would be given that exception too...

I have said here that I think the league should work with a ticketing provider to offer a single, league-wide solution that includes an app supporting NFC. That would offer a consistent user experience and payment process and should enable clubs to benefit from a lower cost.

I think the system used by Ayr is just about OK but it does have a poor UX and I am surprised there aren't more complaints about it to be honest. I hope it is cheap for the club.

2 minutes ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

Paying for match tickets online in advance instead of hard cash at the turnstile certainly makes it easier not to notice obvious stats, like for example getting into Gayfield now costs more than Somerset for the first time in my life.

Tbf Gayfield is a better stadium.

Have seen the club advertise fairly often even before covid for turnstile operators. Its not the easiest gig to sell these days a 2 hour shift at low wage, 20% of your wage might go on transport and if the games postponed no work.