The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Saw a few posts on twitter stating that Willie Gibson was receiving abuse at yesterday's game. Apparently the crowd was singing 'Die in your sleep Willie Gibson!'

Im not going to defend Willie Gibson, far from it. He's a DKB and one of my favourite players to hate. I never heard anyone sing this either, I was there to watch football. However, I do think wishing him to die in his sleep is a tad harsh. He's playing a game of football ffs. He's a DKB, draw the line at that. 

This sort of thing has happened at the past couple of home games 🤔 Racist abuse against Morton (Apparently) and now it's QoS. I think being away from Somerset so long has caused this. 

I'd file this under 'stupid / ignorant' rather than as some kind of horrendous hate crime, but it shouldn't happen. There's no reasonable way for the club to police individual idiots in advance, but maybe some massive signs about acceptable and unacceptable behaviour just inside the turnstiles would help people think twice before acting in such a brainless way.

17 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

McAllister made a few mistakes with his control.

I see improvements in him recently and I hope that continues - needs to work on his distribution but he was instrumental in setting up our winning goal by winning a good header at the back post. He's a fighter and that'll do for me for now. Where was Mark Mackenzie yesterday - don't remember reading he was injured and we only had 5 named subs again.

1 hour ago, Roxanne's man said:

Saw a few posts on twitter stating that Willie Gibson was receiving abuse at yesterday's game. Apparently the crowd was singing 'Die in your sleep Willie Gibson!'

Im not going to defend Willie Gibson, far from it. He's a DKB and one of my favourite players to hate. I never heard anyone sing this either, I was there to watch football. However, I do think wishing him to die in his sleep is a tad harsh. He's playing a game of football ffs. He's a DKB, draw the line at that. 

This sort of thing has happened at the past couple of home games 🤔 Racist abuse against Morton (Apparently) and now it's QoS. I think being away from Somerset so long has caused this. 

That poor cnut must be really unlikeable because we gave him abuse for 90 minutes when we played QOS recently, and he gave the same back.

Not sure why he's so unpopular with you lot as he left us under a huge cloud and the dislike is definitely mutual.

Equally there is no excuse for the abuse to get to the extent you describe and there must come a point when police take some action.

59 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

Equally there is no excuse for the abuse to get to the extent you describe and there must come a point when police take some action.

At the end of the day, he's only playing a game. Nobody deserves that, no matter how much a opposing team hates them. 

There's limitations to abuse given to a player. Tbh, like most players who have played on either side of the Ayrshire Derby, name-calling and insults are mandatory. I like to think it's water off a ducks back for most players, as they surely hear it all the time. Can't picture them going home to curl up in a ball in the corner and cry because a fan called them shite.

However, wishing something like that upon a person is just nasty if anything. It's a game. Certainly not worth wishing death on people. Be passionate about the game, not pathetic over the players. 👍

It wasn't sung for particularly long, and came after Gibson was an arse at the penalty. He seemed to be trying to point out something to the referee when the ball was on the spot then stood right in front of Aero, trying psyche him out. I'm not making an excuse, just adding a bit of context.

The song isn't something I'd condone, but it's not worth a lengthy debate.

Feared the worst yesterday and the first half showing backed that up. Murdoch looked really tired yesterday and was really poor and Salkeld seems to be getting worse by the game, he must be really showing up in training to get the game time he is getting and that’s the only reason he can be getting in, works hard the boy but doesn’t do much right when on the ball. The substitutions changed the game and Chalmers was really good along with young Bradley, should have been down and out on the chances they missed or saved by the excellent McAdams, showed good character throughout the team though. Big test next week up at Arbroath come through that with something and I think Duffy will keep us safe.

@Finlay21 is there not plans to get the away teams back in the away dressing rooms since this red zone has been dropped.

Having the away teams go up the terracing to the hospitality is causing these confrontational issues between supporters and players when you look at yesterday with Gibson and Dunfermline too

The die in your sleep thing its pretty distasteful. I remember Ayr fans singing that at Cammy Bell not long after Stuart McGrady sadly passed in his sleep and I raised it at the time but no real appetite from fans to oppose it. Usually its more on away games that there are more bevied up muppets singing stuff like that. Its just crap patter anyway much better chants that could be done against former killie players. 

5 minutes ago, rb123! said:

@Finlay21 is there not plans to get the away teams back in the away dressing rooms since this red zone has been dropped.

Having the away teams go up the terracing to the hospitality is causing these confrontational issues between supporters and players when you look at yesterday with Gibson and Dunfermline too

Red zones have not  removed yet , there is the option to lift them but some clubs still not willing to go back to the areas they used previously to change 

9 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Where they change is not the issue here , the issue is definitely the people  supposedly signing the song ,

30 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Others may disagree but I'm delighted at this response from the club.  I'm 37 and been going to Somserset since I was 6.   In that time as a kid I've found it completely normal to hear folk singing "strip wae teeth" at a black guy in a black strip (think it was Livi) or "spear chucker spear chucker nananana" at a black guy in a non black strip.   Heard folk singing "dig a hole dig a hole dig a hole" at someone down with  a bad injury and "die die die ya b*****d die ya Killie b*****d" to anyone down with a general injury.  It just seemed so normal but it clearly isn't.   I actually got a flashback to it during the summer watching the Christian Eriksen incident during the Euros.   Well done the club and anyone that sings or shouts that sort of stuff can absolutely GTF in my and I'd hope most folks opinion.  

27 minutes ago, rb123! said:

As I understand it -

The chant at Gibson came from the Somerset Road End around about the penalty award.

It was Gibson simulating a sex act and joking about domestic violence that happened when Queens made their way to the dressing room at full time past the seggy fence.

2 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Others may disagree but I'm delighted at this response from the club.  I'm 37 and been going to Somserset since I was 6.   In that time as a kid I've found it completely normal to hear folk singing "strip wae teeth" at a black guy in a black strip (think it was Livi) or "spear chucker spear chucker nananana" at a black guy in a non black strip.   Heard folk singing "dig a hole dig a hole dig a hole" at someone down with  a bad injury and "die die die ya b*****d die ya Killie b*****d" to anyone down with a general injury.  It just seemed so normal but it clearly isn't.   I actually got a flashback to it during the summer watching the Christian Eriksen incident during the Euros.   Well done the club and anyone that sings or shouts that sort of stuff can absolutely GTF in my and I'd hope most folks opinion.  

I agree with you on this. However, "Dig a hole" is not remotely in the same stratosphere as those other chants. 

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

I agree with you on this. However, "Dig a hole" is not remotely in the same stratosphere as those other chants. 

This. Dig a whole is sung most games and is usually reserved if it’s quite obvious the opposition in mocking it. I’d like to think that wouldn’t be sung if it’s quite a player is seriously injured. 

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

As I understand it -

The chant at Gibson came from the Somerset Road End around about the penalty award.

It was Gibson simulating a sex act and joking about domestic violence that happened when Queens made their way to the dressing room at full time past the seggy fence.

Just shows that Willie Gibson is an immature pathetic d*ckhead.

We are the super and we shouldn't stoop so low. It's better to ignore players like that tbh.

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

This. Dig a whole is sung most games and is usually reserved if it’s quite obvious the opposition in mocking it. I’d like to think that wouldn’t be sung if it’s quite a player is seriously injured. 

Yeah, I reserve it for folk like Goodwin when he was player manager at Alloa and was writhing about like he'd broken his leg when he was clearly time wasting. If memory serves the ref wouldn't let him back on straight away and he was jumping up and down like a toddler. It was glorious as he was properly seething.

I wouldn't chant it at someone who is seriously injured tbf.