The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

25 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

We can debate the merits of the squad all day and night and ultimately that of Hopkin's recruitment. It's all about results, it's always been about the results.

Two wins against an under performing Dunfermline and Rangers U-14 team should temper the enthusiasm a little though. One game at a time and all that.

I think after our recent defeats, performances and general depression, that we are now more than entitled to be pleased without looking for reasons / excuses not to be.

Sometimes a glass half full is much preferable to it being half empty and I'm sure the recriminations won't be far away following our next defeat....

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I think after our recent defeats, performances and general depression, that we are now more than entitled to be pleased without looking for reasons / excuses not to be.

Sometimes a glass half full is much preferable to it being half empty and I'm sure the recriminations won't be far away following our next defeat....

I'd like to call it realism. 😉

You definitely have to take into account the opposition we were playing in both of our wins. We've watched this movie often enough with ourselves and other clubs, to know that the status quo that saw poor results in the first place can often return as quick as the unexpected wins appear. 

We're definitely looking better as a unit and individuals like O'Connor are suddenly finding half a yard more of interest than they had shown under Hopkin. Long may it continue. 

To suggest that it makes us a top half team is an extreme leap of faith though. 

There's plenty to suddenly explain an uptick in results in the short term when a new manager comes in. That's exactly what I think we're experiencing at the moment.

However, the squad is still imbalanced whatever way you look at it and that has still to be addressed urgently. It's easier to make changes to a winning team than a losing one. 

The next three league games will give us a much clearer idea of what path we're on, don't go filling that glass up too much yet....

Edited by BukyOHare

Drove past Somerset this morning and seen the building works. Is the hub/bar thing a match day only or 7days a week thing?  

Just asking as Killie have given up trying to make the stadium sports bar a success in the last year after a few versions over the last few years . We have moved our shop into the space

f**k it, I’m going for unbeaten till the end of the season - open top bus - pipping killie to the title - Jim Duffy manager of the year - Golden boot for Adeloye - 3 derby wins under our belt - winner of the SPFL Trust trophy beating killie 4-1 in the final - and new non-lethal variant of Covid accounting for 99% of all new infections [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]
Aye, but a blow when Duffy leaves us for the Scotland job rather than masterminding our SPFL challenge.

26 minutes ago, flood said:

Drove past Somerset this morning and seen the building works. Is the hub/bar thing a match day only or 7days a week thing?  

Just asking as Killie have given up trying to make the stadium sports bar a success in the last year after a few versions over the last few years . We have moved our shop into the space

Well i'd imagine the actual supporters bar area will be open only on Matchdays and perhaps for Scotland games.

The rest of the hub will be home to the club offices and the shop so that'll be open 6/7 days a week in some capacity.

It's coming along nicely and i saw it yesterday with the scaffolding off, can't remember if it's next month or November it's to be ready, the derby will come too early for it unfortuanately.

It's not really in a prominent location to be able to open all week as a sports bar as it's out of the way and you have to make a matter of going by it. 

29 minutes ago, flood said:

Just asking as Killie have given up trying to make the stadium sports bar a success in the last year after a few versions over the last few years . We have moved our shop in

I think its just going to be for matchdays .

Wouldn't be a bad shout for them too open fri and sat nights  .maybe even hospitality. 

7 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Safe from the relegation places with 5 games to go should be a target. Anything above that would be an improvement.

this league can be nuts, 4 wins can take you from 8th to second at times. 

I get your point bit that just doesn't happen in this league unless you are in the playoffs.  2 meaningless games at the end of the season IMO

29 minutes ago, rb123! said:

It's not really in a prominent location to be able to open all week as a sports bar as it's out of the way and you have to make a matter of going by it. 

Since the closure of the Ice of Ales (two decades ago??) it would be literally the only bar except the bowling club's within over half a mile. Fair enough that the smoking ban and everything else government-wise has ruined Ayr's drinking scene but I remain astonished that the suburbs along Whitletts Road, and along Ayr Road after Tam's Brig, remain roughly the driest area in Scotland below Fife.

Edited by Thumper

14 hours ago, flood said:

How did you get your shop into space?

14 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I get your point bit that just doesn't happen in this league unless you are in the playoffs.  2 meaningless games at the end of the season IMO

I’d take 2 meaningless games as opposed to an arseclencher on the last day of the season in Inverness or a cowardly 4-0 buggering in Arbroath. 

weeks of seeing your team being dreadful and players obviously chucking it, fans fighting between themselves, attendances down, questions about going part time again…the disappointment of caving in during the playoffs lasts until you hit the pub after the game. 

the first aim should be safety, then a play-off place and then the league, at the moment, relegation is more likely that winning the league so we need to fix that part. 

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Poor from us, but at the same time it didn’t remotely affect the game and Rangers seem to be able to play the likes of Katic and loan players who are on loan at other clubs... 

Rangers are entering a B team and the rules of the competition allow them to recall players to play in it (they could in theory have recalled James Maxwell to play against you). Ayr United are a first team in context of this competition even if they chose to play a shadow side. You can't play players who are out on loan to other clubs in it.

There's little doubt you'll be thrown out here. There are formalities to go through but it will be an expulsion.

EDIT - Although bizarrely Livingston weren't expelled when they fielded a suspended player in a tie in Ireland 2 or 3 years ago and got to replay it so who knows?

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, RedEd said:

According to the SPFL statement, the players in question are on temporary transfers. I think that is technically different to a loan.

A temporary transfer IS a loan. The term "loan" is a short form way of people avoiding saying "temporary transfer" all the time.