The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Interesting read from Smith. States that we need something in the middle of the park which we'll look to rectify.

Although I'm not quite sure I believe this bit... ""It's probably the most expensive squad we've had for a number of years." 

We must be overpaying this shower. I'm not convinced it's a good squad either - polishing a turd there.

Edited by Trogdor

I dont know Dave Smith. I probably would walk past him at Somerset and not recognise him, so this is my opinion on the man purely based on what hes done. He seems a bit thin skinned, unsure if he really "gets" the on field side of things if he says hes in no rush to make an appointment. We have 1 point from 4 games ffs, it's not like we're riding high in the table with buckets of confidence. Factor in the meltdown he had after the Arbroath game and then the bizarre incident with a poster on here. 

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Interesting read from Smith. States that we need something in the middle of the park which we'll look to rectify.

Although I'm not quite sure I believe this bit... ""It's probably the most expensive squad we've had for a number of years." 

We must be overpaying this shower. I'm not convinced it's a good squad either - polishing a turd there.

I would say it could be an expensive squad , nearly every player Hopkin signed had other options , so likely ( maybe certainly ) paying them much more than they are worth 

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

I dont know Dave Smith. I probably would walk past him at Somerset and not recognise him, so this is my opinion on the man purely based on what hes done. He seems a bit thin skinned, unsure if he really "gets" the on field side of things if he says hes in no rush to make an appointment. We have 1 point from 4 games ffs, it's not like we're riding high in the table with buckets of confidence. Factor in the meltdown he had after the Arbroath game and then the bizarre incident with a poster on here. 

Why would you rush into appointing a new manager based on our last 2 who were rushed , the club certainly need to take time to get right guy this time ,

11 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It is a big squad, bigger than any squad we had under McCall

I get where he’s coming from tbh. We are only 4 games in and he’s got the benefit of being able to hand control over to an experienced manager, who might not be to everyone’s taste, but is still capable of managing us in the short term.

All he’s saying is he doesn’t need to rush into appointing the first available candidate and can take a bit of time to properly assess everything. Compare that to last season when we were quite literally going down and we had to get someone in quick to get us sorted.

4 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Why would you rush into appointing a new manager based on our last 2 who were rushed , the club certainly need to take time to get right guy this time ,

Aye, we could well be overpaying a few of them.

3 minutes ago, rb123! said:

It is a big squad, bigger than any squad we had under McCall

Is it really that much bigger? It's definitely got less quality, I reckon Robbo has probably hit it on the head above tbh.

12 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

17-18 and 18-19 we had a very young squad and I can't think of many players outside of the main squad, David Ferguson, Craig Reid, Craig McGuffie maybe. guys like Faulds, McCowan, Murphy and Hilton all played. 

Although we had Shankland, Moore, Harvey etc, It was more quality over quantity. 

Currently we have a bench that consists of Moffat, a guy we convinced to move from Ireland, guys currently on a 3 year deal at Celtic and Hibs. Salkeld and McGinty who were signed as first team players and a goalkeeper we shipped up from England. 

So I would say he wasn't far away. 

We waited to long to sack Kerr and missed out on Hughes who went to County and Wright who went to Kilmarnock. 

There could be at least one job in the Championship coming up, 4 teams at the bottom of the premier have had stinking starts so some of them could change soon. 

I'm not saying we need to necessarily appoint someone this week but if there are quality candidates available now then we should at least see if they are interested.  

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

We waited to long to sack Kerr and missed out on Hughes who went to County and Wright who went to Kilmarnock. 

There could be at least one job in the Championship coming up, 4 teams at the bottom of the premier have had stinking starts so some of them could change soon. 

I'm not saying we need to necessarily appoint someone this week but if there are quality candidates available now then we should at least see if they are interested.  

Who with any quality is available now ? I really am struggling to think of anyone , McCann is the best of a bad bunch , might need to look at paying compensation for someone already in a job 

1 minute ago, Finlay21 said:

Who with any quality is available now ? I really am struggling to think of anyone , McCann is the best of a bad bunch , might need to look at paying compensation for someone already in a job 

You seem to be hinting that it’s going to be Darren Young. Presume you’ve heard that’s who we’re after. 

Is there anyone currently managing that is an obvious choice? Darren Young would’ve been an obvious choice a couple of years ago but his stock has taken a dive since then. Stewart Petrie is the outstanding candidate but he won’t come to us.

You’re then left with Danny Lennon, Peter Murphy, Ian Murray (Airdrie aren’t exactly flying high) or Paul Hartley as the other under contract managers who could perhaps do a job.

9 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

You seem to be hinting that it’s going to be Darren Young. Presume you’ve heard that’s who we’re after. 

Because Darren Young is the only manager currently in a job? 🙄

You should have appointed Jim McIntyre last time. If he'll still take it you should go back cap in hand now.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Is there anyone currently managing that is an obvious choice? Darren Young would’ve been an obvious choice a couple of years ago but his stock has taken a dive since then. Stewart Petrie is the outstanding candidate but he won’t come to us.

You’re then left with Danny Lennon, Peter Murphy, Ian Murray (Airdrie aren’t exactly flying high) or Paul Hartley as the other under contract managers who could perhaps do a job.

Dick Campbell too but highly doubt he would leave Arbroath. Worth asking the question though. 

Because Darren Young is the only manager currently in a job? [emoji849]
You should have appointed Jim McIntyre last time. If he'll still take it you should go back cap in hand now.

Don’t think anyone anywhere should be going cap in hand to Jim McIntyre. FWIW I wanted him over Hopkin but I’m not that keen on him.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Because Darren Young is the only manager currently in a job? 🙄

You shouLd have appointed Jim McIntyre last time. If he'll still take it you should go back cap in hand now.

His record is pretty good - certainly at Dunfermline and QoS. Is there a back story to what went wrong at Dundee? His record there was almost Hopkinesque.

His record is pretty good - certainly at Dunfermline and QoS. Is there a back story to what went wrong at Dundee? His record there was almost Hopkinesque.

He signed a bunch of shite and then fucked off when they were relegated by looks of it.