The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Surprised things moved so quick tbh, thought he'd have got at least until October for the end of the first quarter.

Problem we have now is a squad about a 1/3 full of ex morton jobbers who love hopkin and came to the club because of him, so they've got a high chance of just chucking it now. 

Need to take our time with this one and not go gung ho, fact their not asking for applications means either they want Duffy to do it, which i don't think he will as he wanted to dwindle down after his heart attack, or Smith is wanting to go and speak to a few guys before taking the next step. 

Whoever we get should only get a deal to the end of the season with the option to add on a year if all goes well because Smith has just learnt the hard way of an expensive balls up by spunking a 2 and a half year deal on Hopkin to have to tear up after 7 months.

3 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Problem we have now is a squad about a 1/3 full of ex morton jobbers who love hopkin and came to the club because of him, so they've got a high chance of just chucking it now.

I'm honestly less worried about this. The pick of the bunch is McAdams and it's not like a Watt situation; he'll be fine in this division for years. McGinty is in a similar situation to Hopkin in that he's seen the heights and is now staring at the buckets and spades; this is his last real shot at it. Fjortoft is not exactly a Hopkin stalwart and Salkeld is replaceable.

The morale problem is that other than the centre halves (block things, kick the ball onto the Moon) and the keeper (block things, pick it out of the net) nobody else currently has a clue what they're supposed to be doing. You could parachute Brian Reid into this squad and he'd fix that ffs, even if it would barely be more watchable, though at least he'd play the Moff.

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

Genuine question though for the Ayr fans. Was Hopkin worse that Mark Roberts as a manager in your opinion?

Roberts was poor but he was managing a part-time team with very limited budget. I bet Roberts could only have dreamt of the resources that Hopkin had.

Whoever we get will either have a mixed record or be unproven at our level. I just hope we look at how their teams set themselves out and how well organised they are. If someone had done that with Hopkin it would have been clear he was never going to succeed here.

I think Yogi's teams do try to play passing football, at least from what I have seen which is admittedly a bit limited.

10 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Smith is wanting to go and speak to a few guys before taking the next step. 

I feel like that was a problem with the Hopkin appointment. Smith was more or less in the door as chairman and sacked Kerr but didn't have the football contacts to reach out to anyone others than the guys that applied. Then appeared to appoint Hopkin with no real vetting and purely off the interview.

Slight difference this time in that if he wants to offer advice then Duffy must have more contacts than the last caretaker group combined that consisted of White, Stillie and Tait. 

4 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Here’s a loud one, Dick Campbell  Wasn’t due to play either team for weeks, yet he was in the box Sitting with with two Ayr Directors.

No chance he's leaving Arbroath, runs a business with his brother. No idea why he'd be in the box unless scouting or just wanting something to do on a Tuesday night. 

Here’s a loud one, Dick Campbell  Wasn’t due to play either team for weeks, yet he was in the box Sitting with with two Ayr Directors.

The big man is football daft. Chances are he’ll just have been in the area for something and fancied taking in a game.

2 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

Duffy doing Director of Football

Directors of football have a big say in identifying transfer targets, try to instill a continuity and cohesion between boardroom and manager and shape a squad for the longterm. Given he's worked alongside Hopkin and presumably had his chance to influence things why should he be anywhere near what should be seen to be a fresh start? 

It'd be like hiring the vice captain of the titanic for a relaunch of the Waverley. 

Edited by BukyOHare

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

For the first time I genuinely am sat thinking we got fucking lucky with Hopkin, only due to having Martindale

Seriously? For the first time? 

It was blatantly obvious at the time. It was obvious under Holt and its been obvious since, both in terms of Martindale's own showings and the subsequent efforts of Hopkin (at 3 clubs) and Holt (at one). 

You also benefited hugely at the time from being about the only club prepared to give second chances to Lithgow and Gallagher, who were massive players for you and fit the Hopkin 'mould' perfectly.

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It was blatantly obvious at the time. It was obvious under Holt and its been obvious since, both in terms of Martindale's own showings and the subsequent efforts of Hopkin (at 3 clubs) and Holt (at one). 

You also benefited hugely at the time from being about the only club prepared to give second chances to Lithgow and Gallagher, who were massive players for you and fit the Hopkin 'mould' perfectly.

It’s pretty hilarious that Hopkin wants to play a long ball style game, but didn’t think to sign anyone up top who is actually good in the air! 

34 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

He screwed up his face at the thought of it when asked by our fans at half time heading up the terrace :lol:

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Honestly, yes. I figured there had to be some level of decent manager in there but it's becoming painfully clear he hasn't got a clue. 

From what I know Lithgow and Gallagher were identified by Martindale as well though, so put players fit for the style on a plate in front of Hoppy. The most important signings for us came in January with Lee Miller and Ryan Hardie, that carried us through so many games.