The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 hours ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Educated guess. He hasn't played at all this season. Barely even makes the bench and at his age, he might be thinking of focusing on his business now.

The guy was suffering from long Covid , that’s the only reason he was not playing 

Edited by Finlay21

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Ideal situation would be Dembele from Celtic. I don’t see any youth player good enough to make the kind of impact we need being loaned out to the championship. 
Celtic haven’t loaned him out before and I would think it would be more likely to be to a Premier team if they did.

Pretty sure he's rehabbing a bad injury from preseason.

1 hour ago, Finlay21 said:

Getting good reviews from the Hibs fans , looking forward to see what he gives us 

Given him a new three year deal so fingers crossed. Not entirely sure where he fits into the puzzle. Has been mentioned that he can play through the middle as well as wide.

Quite liked the last winger we had on loan from Hibs although hopefully this one has a better attitude.

If we start to use the wide midfielders like Maxwell, O’Connor and Bradley as the ball carriers with the full backs overlapping then a centre midfield of Muirhead and McAllister would be fine if their only job was to win the ball back and move it on.

It was obvious when Smith left last season that it left McCowan as the only creative player and he was being marked out of most games by the end of the season. I think Hopkin needs to move slightly away from the hard working line up and start attacking games as I’m still not convinced we’re that good defensively to sit in and soak up pressure.

I’d probably say that Maxwell can be considered a central midfielder now so we’ve still got 4 although id like to see one still come in.

Id like to see us line up like this but I feel there is no chance of that.

McAdams

McAllister
Muirhead
Fjortoft
Reading

Murdoch
Hewitt
Maxwell

O’Connor
Adeloye
Bradley

1 hour ago, GaryMc93 said:

Quite liked the last winger we had on loan from Hibs although hopefully this one has a better attitude.

If we start to use the wide midfielders like Maxwell, O’Connor and Bradley as the ball carriers with the full backs overlapping then a centre midfield of Muirhead and McAllister would be fine if their only job was to win the ball back and move it on.

It was obvious when Smith left last season that it left McCowan as the only creative player and he was being marked out of most games by the end of the season. I think Hopkin needs to move slightly away from the hard working line up and start attacking games as I’m still not convinced we’re that good defensively to sit in and soak up pressure.

I’m struggling to think of who your meaning, A guy called David Crawford is the only one I can think of. Probably missing someone really obvious. 

14 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I’m struggling to think of who your meaning, A guy called David Crawford is the only one I can think of. Probably missing someone really obvious. 

No it was Crawford I meant. Looked decent off the bench, started the penultimate game against Airdrie and won MOTM then disappeared and didn't play a minute in the 4 play offs game. We also had Scott Taggart on loan from Hibs that season but don't remember thinking he'd go on to have the better career like it's turned out.

See there's an article in the DR with the groundskeeper and he alludes to a bit of money being put into the pitch this season.

Let's see how well it holds up in winter, if it's just business as usual then they really need to start looking at alternatives for next season.

Still trying to get my head around bringing in another wide player, instead of addressing the ball winner / passing roles that we've been missing. 
Given he is a natural RM the obvious like for like swap is Salkeld, but just can't see him being dropped, so likely to be deployed either out left or through the middle. Given our ramshackle midfield to shoehorn in another player out of their natural position is worrying, Hibs have given the lad a new three year deal so there is no way he is here to sit on the bench. Absolutely hope he does well for us of course, I'm just a little confused by the signing when we have other glaring priorities at present. 

How many wide men do we have now? I make it 10 - including defenders as we've played with a back 3 fairly often. 

24 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Still trying to get my head around bringing in another wide player, instead of addressing the ball winner / passing roles that we've been missing. 

How many wide men do we have now? I make it 10 - including defenders as we've played with a back 3 fairly often. 

Jesus. It's amazing how similar his run at Ayr United is to his time at Morton. We had 10 wingers and no right backs.

1 hour ago, Hawk89 said:

Hibs have given the lad a new three year deal so there is no way he is here to sit on the bench

I’d hope he’d play, we have sent Paul Smith out on loan to Cumnock and brought in a younger player on loan. I’m assuming he’s an upgrade on Smith at his current development but I wouldn’t like to think we had sent our own player out on loan to be replaced on the fringes of the first team by a Hibs player. 
But nothing makes sense any more