The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Allowing Aero to be in a position to sign a pre contract with Thistle in the Christmas window would represent a meltdown of sanity at Ayr United on a spectacular level . This guy should be club captain and signed with us until his career is over . The figures we are talking about would not be crazy money , more lightly the kind of deal Doc signed when he moved to Thistle under similar circumstances. Guys like Shankland and Rose moving up the ladder as their career blossoms is one thing , but losing guys like Doc and Aero etc as we slug it out with similar sized clubs in the Championship should be a thing of the past . 

For me Adeloye and Aero should be extended right now , no if buts or maybes ....

Allowing Aero to be in a position to sign a pre contract with Thistle in the Christmas window would represent a meltdown of sanity at Ayr United on a spectacular level . This guy should be club captain and signed with us until his career is over . The figures we are talking about would not be crazy money , more lightly the kind of deal Doc signed when he moved to Thistle under similar circumstances. Guys like Shankland and Rose moving up the ladder as their career blossoms is one thing , but losing guys like Doc and Aero etc as we slug it out with similar sized clubs in the Championship should be a thing of the past . 
For me Adeloye and Aero should be extended right now , no if buts or maybes ....

If Ayr fans are going to get themselves in a state over Muirhead potentially signing for Thistle then they maybe need to reevaluate their ambitions. The guy is a pretty good defender but hardly irreplaceable for us. I’d be happy if he had him for another year or two but equally I really wouldn’t be arsed if he left in the summer.

24 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If Ayr fans are going to get themselves in a state over Muirhead potentially signing for Thistle then they maybe need to reevaluate their ambitions. The guy is a pretty good defender but hardly irreplaceable for us. I’d be happy if he had him for another year or two but equally I really wouldn’t be arsed if he left in the summer.

Hell your right enough let’s get Higgins and Roscoe back ! What ever was I thinking about . McCall doesn’t have an eye for a player at all .....

Hell your right enough let’s get Higgins and Roscoe back ! What ever was I thinking about . McCall doesn’t have an eye for a player at all .....

The same Higgins and Roscoe that McCall also signed? For every good player he signed he also signed a fair amount of duds.

My point is losing Muirhead isn’t something to panic over. There isn’t one player our squad that is worth panicking over losing. There’s guys I’d rather keep of course but no one is in the Rose, Shankland or Forrest level of being irreplaceable.

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The same Higgins and Roscoe that McCall also signed? For every good player he signed he also signed a fair amount of duds.

My point is losing Muirhead isn’t something to panic over. There isn’t one player our squad that is worth panicking over losing. There’s guys I’d rather keep of course but no one is in the Rose, Shankland or Forrest level of being irreplaceable.

At the same time though, we don’t want to be constantly replacing our adequate players - we want to build a core and stick with that. Muirhead is important in terms of that.

We are also three days from the transfer window closing, and are still calling for a Docherty type signing - f**k knows how long after he left!

2 hours ago, HMIP said:

Suggest you read the post by Skyline Drifter as to the criteria by which a team must play.   Clearly addresses the issue of teams potentially having to throw in kids who aren’t ready.  Looks like it was drafted by folk with a bit more common sense than you.

Suggest you sift through teamlines since, eh, whenever you like to confirm the FUCT [(c) Rafa Benitez] that teenagers quite often get a shot at grown-up football without the emergency services being on standby.

Either that or you could continue to revel in your wee victim complex because your team might actually have to, you know, fulfil a fixture… up to you.

Spoiler

‘Common sense’ 🤣

7 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Only staff or players with symptoms or testing positive are still be required to self-isolate.

Close contacts aged 18 years or older who have been double vaccinated more than 14 days prior and with no symptoms will be able to get a PCR test and end self-isolation if the result is negative.

Any young players involved, between the ages of five and 17 will also be able to take a PCR test and end self-isolation without being double vaccinated if the test result is negative.

These are the rules we all have to follow, they aren't specific to football.

It seems to me that any club that feels they should not be playing the match can relatively easily use the above rules to end up with fewer than 13 players available for selection. You just need to declare symptoms to be required to self-isolate.

2 hours ago, North British said:

Allowing Aero to be in a position to sign a pre contract with Thistle in the Christmas window would represent a meltdown of sanity at Ayr United on a spectacular level

Not really. It would be solid confirmation that the owner's interests begin and end with the development of the ground and the surrounding land and that so long as the team doesn't exit the SPFL entirely things will recover in time. To be quite honest I've started to come around to this, as it's evident that investing in the team and manager is far more of a gamble and the effect wears off very quickly when a good one goes away. On a purely lizard-brain level, one might as well leave a manager who is hopelessly out of his depth and a team who are so un-fucked as to not even obey basic health rules for the sake of being able to do their jobs in their place for the time being, because it's not as if even a competent matchday staff would be permitted to fill the stadium.

Get the facilities upgraded, get a bar and a beer garden in place for next season in League One, and just pretend the Covid Years didn't happen.

46 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Get the facilities upgraded, get a bar and a beer garden in place for next season in League One, and just pretend the Covid Years didn't happen.

Too early for this chat mate.

We're clearly gubbins with the negative way we set out. It's possible one other team in the league may be more gubbins. 

^I'm clinging on tightly to this thought, please don't extinguish my small flame of hope.

7 hours ago, ComradeDiego said:

No seen this much apathy towards an Ayr team since the Roberts experiment

Actually think the Hopkin era has divided the fan base more than any manager before. Seems to be very little middle ground between anti/pro fans.

On Aero, I would genuinely be gutted if he leaves and would argue he is our best defender. Whilst not the most gifted in our league, he's comfortably better than any other centre half we have and obviously more flexible. He's one of the few that consistently looks like he cares and leaves everything out on the park. 

Allowing a player as influential and who appears to be the defacto leader on the park, regardless of who is named captain on the day would be madness at present. Serious questions will be asked if the midfield issue is resolved this window and Aero ends up sitting on the bench behind a back 3 of McGinty, Baird and Fjortoft. 

10 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

How many times have we heard this over the last couple of years?  Crawford, Doc, Bell, McCowan.  Time and again we say it doesn’t matter if so and so leaves, they’re easily replaceable.  Except they’re not - we get weaker while others get stronger.  It might not be this season, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if McCall gets Partick to the premier league.  If he does it with Doc and Muirhead in the team, we can no doubt scratch out heads and wonder how he did it with players that were never that good anyway.  

22 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Actually think the Hopkin era has divided the fan base more than any manager before. Seems to be very little middle ground between anti/pro fans.

On Aero, I would genuinely be gutted if he leaves and would argue he is our best defender. Whilst not the most gifted in our league, he's comfortably better than any other centre half we have and obviously more flexible. He's one of the few that consistently looks like he cares and leaves everything out on the park. 

Allowing a player as influential and who appears to be the defacto leader on the park, regardless of who is named captain on the day would be madness at present. Serious questions will be asked if the midfield issue is resolved this window and Aero ends up sitting on the bench behind a back 3 of McGinty, Baird and Fjortoft. 

I don’t think it’s divided the fans at all. There’s not a single person I know who is a fan of Hopkin. 

The fact that Muirhead, a 30 year old, solid, hardworking player is seen as a major part of our squad shows us all just how far the standards of the playing squad have fallen. 

Its been getting dismantled in front of our very eyes over 4 or 5 seasons. 

Teams should miss game winning individuals, those capable of a last minute winner or piece of individual brilliance, not a defensive midfielder with clear limitations. 

Just now, BukyOHare said:

Its been getting dismantled in front of our very eyes over 4 or 5 seasons. 

On a similar theme, have we as a club somehow failed academy players like Ecrepont? 

He came onto the scene with high hopes held for him and a couple of fairly unspectacular loan spells later sadly he isn't close to being a first team player. 

Is it down to the individual, is it a weak crop generally or are there bigger problems within the club that are placing barriers to progression? As a club we should be doing everything we can to develop our own players, I've always said that and will continue to do so. 

Perhaps those on here with more knowledge of the Academy can shed some light. 

On a similar theme, have we as a club somehow failed academy players like Ecrepont? 
He came onto the scene with high hopes held for him and a couple of fairly unspectacular loan spells later sadly he isn't close to being a first team player. 
Is it down to the individual, is it a weak crop generally or are there bigger problems within the club that are placing barriers to progression? As a club we should be doing everything we can to develop our own players, I've always said that and will continue to do so. 
Great point, if Ecrepont could not get in the team last weekend in front of McGinty at LB what chance does the kid have.

6 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
8 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Great point, if Ecrepont could not get in the team last weekend in front of McGinty at LB what chance does the kid have.

I've only seen him play one game away vs Wrexham and didnt look out of place. I appreaciate we had Harvie at the time, then brought in Redding who is a few years older. You would assume the plan was that Redding would be on the same trajectory as Harvie and would be onwards an upwards at the end of this season then Ecrepont would take over next season. However neither look likely now. Ecrepont should be back up LB, not shunting McGinty out to cover. Ecrepont definetlty needs some game time this season for us, not on loan to see where he is up to.

18 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
20 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Hopkin doesn’t bother his arse going to watch any of the academy teams apparently; doesn’t seem interested.

only academy boys near the first team are ones that McCall and Kerr brought through