The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 minutes ago, cass316 said:

Just seen the goal. What in christs name was the centre half doing?

He has been doing that regularly at this level for years, Hopkin even watched it last season and decided he would be a good player to sign. He shouldn’t be playing at championship level. 

I think it would be Petrie first choice, and Hughes second choice for me. 

You would have assumed Petrie would have taken the Dunfermline job if he was interested in going full time though. 

I’d like to know if a full time team has ever actually approached him. I remember he was linked with the St Mirren job before Goodwin got it I think but I don’t think any approach was ever made.

It might well be that it’s common knowledge amongst chairmen that he isn’t interested in going full time otherwise you’d think a team at our level or even Falkirk would’ve asked the question long ago.

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d like to know if a full time team has ever actually approached him. I remember he was linked with the St Mirren job before Goodwin got it I think but I don’t think any approach was ever made.

It might well be that it’s common knowledge amongst chairmen that he isn’t interested in going full time otherwise you’d think a team at our level or even Falkirk would’ve asked the question long ago.

Definitely, I just couldn’t envisage Dunfermline appointing Grant if Petrie was an option. Same with us and Hopkin. Chairmen make horrific decisions though, so you never know!  

Pretty depressing read on here today . Quite a few Ayr fans on here would be a good fit for the Italian Army circa 1940 . White flags everywhere after a 1-0 defeat away in Inverness .  So that’s two defeats in seven this season ,both away from home and the usual three or four suspects are mounting a coup  d’etat on our club . All in front of the vermin from up the road ! Get a grip ......

Having said the above , nobody is happy with yesterday , or the time it is taking to get two , what will be key players in . Everyone is disappointed. However to lose three starters after testing on thu/fri , while not an excuse does mitigate some of yesterday’s performance. Reading , McAdam and Maxwell in my opinion have nailed down their places in the team ,3 of the 6 that have . 

Raith Rovers can’t come quick enough for me . We need two players in for that and we need to win the football match . It’s as simple as that . Getting the win is key for the short term , beating QoS and Morton at home in the first round of fixtures is also a priority . None of this is crazily unachievable . All though some on here secretly pray for failure in these fixtures to further their latest witch hunt against their latest Ayr manager . Same voices were there for Kerr’s dismissal and yes for McCall when we went down in the Harkins season . 

Hopkin however doesn’t get a free pass , if we are anywhere near the trap door after Christmas I’m sure Smith will either through funding at it or remove and replace . L1 is not in the bigger picture , some of you would do well to look at the bigger picture from time to time . In the long game we all want the same thing , Smith is the man that’s going to deliver it one way or another . Hold the fucking line and stop whining in front of the vermin . Don’t give them any oxygen,none .!

11 minutes ago, North British said:

Pretty depressing read on here today . Quite a few Ayr fans on here would be a good fit for the Italian Army circa 1940 . White flags everywhere after a 1-0 defeat away in Inverness .  So that’s two defeats in seven this season ,both away from home and the usual three or four suspects are mounting a coup  d’etat on our club . All in front of the vermin from up the road ! Get a grip ......

Having said the above , nobody is happy with yesterday , or the time it is taking to get two , what will be key players in . Everyone is disappointed. However to lose three starters after testing on thu/fri , while not an excuse does mitigate some of yesterday’s performance. Reading , McAdam and Maxwell in my opinion have nailed down their places in the team ,3 of the 6 that have . 

Raith Rovers can’t come quick enough for me . We need two players in for that and we need to win the football match . It’s as simple as that . Getting the win is key for the short term , beating QoS and Morton at home in the first round of fixtures is also a priority . None of this is crazily unachievable . All though some on here secretly pray for failure in these fixtures to further their latest witch hunt against their latest Ayr manager . Same voices were there for Kerr’s dismissal and yes for McCall when we went down in the Harkins season . 

Hopkin however doesn’t get a free pass , if we are anywhere near the trap door after Christmas I’m sure Smith will either through funding at it or remove and replace . L1 is not in the bigger picture , some of you would do well to look at the bigger picture from time to time . In the long game we all want the same thing , Smith is the man that’s going to deliver it one way or another . Hold the fucking line and stop whining in front of the vermin . Don’t give them any oxygen,none .!

It was Hopkin that waved the white flag yesterday, as he did against Kilmarnock too. 

League one is very much in the picture. I literally have no idea what the bigger picture under Hopkin is meant to be. 

There is no witch hunt, simply a reflection of ONE win in his twelve league games, signing utter shite like McGinty that cost us yesterday’s game, inept substitutions and utterly shitebag tactics and performances. 

Edited by No_Problemo

20 minutes ago, North British said:

We are not beating raith never in a month of sundays! I really hope this is the last time we will line up with hopkin as our manager. His tactics are hoaching and we have no plan b under him. We are going one way and one way only with him in charge and that is league 1.

1 hour ago, North British said:

Raith Rovers can’t come quick enough for me . We need two players in for that and we need to win the football match . It’s as simple as that . Getting the win is key for the short term

Agreed those guys were definitely a miss,  more so the outfield players as McAdam has barely played anyway. Maxwell is our best and most dynamic player and Hopkin replaced him with the sluggish Joe Chalmers and didn't even bother bringing O'Connor on until late on. Fair enough if O'Connor is not match fit but you're never going to create much Hewitt and Chalmers as your wide men. 

Hopkin's win % at Livingston (53%) was good, but since then he has managed Bradford (20%), Morton (35%) and now he has Ayr* sitting at 26% win rate. If you look at the Championship table over the years, 9 wins per season is almost guaranteed to get you relegated. 

This includes wins against two L2 sides (Elgin, Edinburgh City) and err...a match we never played against Falkirk in the league cup. If you removed those games from the calculation we are looking at two wins out of sixteen games, a whopping 12.5% win rate. 

Edited by Shibuya

Fact is  look at our history up there we lost at a ground where all Ayr managers have struggled, I went up there once before Covid stayed overnight and have to say the most lifeless stadium I’ve ever been in so I won’t be back there horrible watching.

if Inverness had lost three first team starters yesterday due to Covid they would have struggled also, team didn’t train for two days so give the guy a break.

We lost to a fluke goal also , and if we had managed a draw most fans would have been happy.

7 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Fact is  look at our history up there we lost at a ground where all Ayr managers have struggled, I went up there once before Covid stayed overnight and have to say the most lifeless stadium I’ve ever been in so I won’t be back there horrible watching.

if Inverness had lost three first team starters yesterday due to Covid they would have struggled also, team didn’t train for two days so give the guy a break.

We lost to a fluke goal also , and if we had managed a draw most fans would have been happy.

It wasn’t a fluke goal whatsoever - it was utterly inept defending. 

1 hour ago, North British said:

This kind of thing is totally worth getting relegated for.

30 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Dodds confirming in his interview goal was a fluke like Hopkin said , but I don’t care  I’ll take it we just seen the game out not boasting in anyway 

It was only a fluke goal as the ball bounced off Walsh and into the net. That was created by utterly dreadful defending from whoever was marking him. It should have been a simple clearance.

Edited by PB1994

I'm amazed anyone would cite what Hopkin said in his interview as some sort of golden source. Apparently we should have been 2 nil up at half time. He's turning into Walter Mitty and those lapping it up need to give themselves a shake.