The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Basically we're missing a Doc or a Kelly or even a Crawford and without someone like that then I can actually see why we're not playing through the Midfield as it's basically non existent at the moment.

It's not for lack of personnel that every ball is hit long, it's by management fiat. People who are pinning their hopes on that changing based on a late-window transfer or two are asking to be disappointed.

1 minute ago, North British said:

There will be a downsize before the end of the month if that is other teams like the look of what’s on offer

The other teams who are forfeiting matches because someone sneezes in the dressing room? Look, I'd much rather have a smaller, better team than a larger, shitter one, but in the current climate it is absolutely correct to err on the side of more backup.

Edited by Thumper

2 minutes ago, North British said:

Squad too small only a few weeks ago now it’s too big , oh dear God . There will be a downsize before the end of the month if that is other teams like the look of what’s on offer . Given that McAlister can  play CH I’d say say we have one too many in that stable . One will go , hopefully Baird rather than Aero . In the midfield Chalmers will be going if anyone wants to pick up his wage . Hewitt and McKenzie should go out on loan until Christmas with a view to playing for us in the new year .

It will absolutely be pitchforks from our support if Aero goes ahead of anyone else in the backline, unless Hopkin pulls a rabbit out of the hat to soften the blow. 

26 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

In the squad picture David Sargeant posted yesterday there is 24 players however I’d expect Ecrepont, Smith, Jeanes and Bilham* to all go on loan. Possibly Hewitt too however given his age I’m not sure there is a benefit in this.  This would take us to a squad of 19/20. With one or two coming in from Burnley this would take us to 21/22 which seems about right to me. Starting 11, 7 on the bench and a few in reserve for injuries/covid related issues. 

*Think he has already went on loan to a junior side. 

Aye, Bilham is at Irvine Meadow. 

When Kerr left in February we had a squad of 23 (excluding Ecrepont, Skeoch, Love and L. Miller). Hopkin added Barjonas, Todd and Morrison but Hare-Reid, Sinisalo, McGavin and Cammy Smith left before the end of the season. 

1 hour ago, Kitty_Boy said:

Aye, Bilham is at Irvine Meadow. 

When Kerr left in February we had a squad of 23 (excluding Ecrepont, Skeoch, Love and L. Miller). Hopkin added Barjonas, Todd and Morrison but Hare-Reid, Sinisalo, McGavin and Cammy Smith left before the end of the season. 

So did Anderson and Cameron. Moore was out for the whole season

And Brett McGavin 

Edited by diegomarahenry

9 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

So did Anderson and Cameron. Moore was out for the whole season

And Brett McGavin 

I think we should bring him back again, even just for a laugh if nothing else.

Third time lucky anyone ????

8 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

He may still be here and no one has noticed

7 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
19 minutes ago, WATTOO said:
I think we should bring him back again, even just for a laugh if nothing else.
Third time lucky anyone ????

Your trying to make the SRE Facebook page explode lol

Hoppy could be the very man to get the best out of "shooter".

Come on Hoppy, bring him home, you know it makes sense !!!!

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

think we should bring him back again, even just for a laugh if nothing else.

Would be a bit off a laugh ! Not completely out the question either . I wonder how much Hopkin saw of him on the training field before his untimely return to England . Ipswich fans did speak quite highly of him . 

33 minutes ago, North British said:

Would be a bit off a laugh ! Not completely out the question either . I wonder how much Hopkin saw of him on the training field before his untimely return to England . Ipswich fans did speak quite highly of him . 

I can only assume he must have had unreported off the field issues, as no other reason would explain why he never kicked a ball in a side which was really struggling and had little to no Midfield cover at that time ??

4 hours ago, North British said:

Squad too small only a few weeks ago now it’s too big , oh dear God . There will be a downsize before the end of the month if that is other teams like the look of what’s on offer . Given that McAlister can  play CH I’d say say we have one too many in that stable . One will go , hopefully Baird rather than Aero . In the midfield Chalmers will be going if anyone wants to pick up his wage . Hewitt and McKenzie should go out on loan until Christmas with a view to playing for us in the new year .

I don't get your dismissive attitude but from querying if the squad is too big you then proceed to list names of 4 players that should be surplus to requirements. That makes sense.

Ideally we'd have between 18 and 20 players all capable of contributing to some extent. Quality over quantity every time please.

I'm not sure McAllister is a suitable option for centre half and Baird is going nowhere in a Hopkin regime either.

Edited by BukyOHare

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

can only assume he must have had unreported off the field issues, as no other reason would explain why he never kicked a ball in a side which was really struggling and had little to no Midfield cover at that time ??

Your 100% correct . Had to get out of town fast . 

I don't get your dismissive attitude but from querying if the squad is too big you then proceed to list names of 4 players that should be surplus to requirements. That makes sense.
Ideally we'd have between 18 and 20 players all capable of contributing to some extent. Quality over quantity every time please.
I'm not sure McAllister is a suitable option for centre half and Baird is going nowhere in a Hopkin regime either.

McAllisters natural position is centre half though. I think he admitted in his interview that he was playing out of position at Dumbarton.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

McAllisters natural position is centre half though. I think he admitted in his interview that he was playing out of position at Dumbarton.

We surely didnt sign him as a centre half though, with the lopsided nature of how Hopkin assembles a squad, perhaps we did!

Dumbarton fans were wholesome in their praise as a right back or wing back.

We surely didnt sign him as a centre half though, with the lopsided nature of how Hopkin assembles a squad, perhaps we did!
Dumbarton fans were wholesome in their praise as a right back or wing back.

I think we probably signed him on the recommendation of Duffy (only a guess since he joined the club not long after) and the fact that he is young and can cover 2-3 different positions. I’d like to see him at RB in a back four but I really don’t think he’ll be any use at RWB with no one in front of him.

Would even consider playing him in midfield along side Maxwell and Murdoch. There would be plenty of energy in that midfield trio.

13 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think we probably signed him on the recommendation of Duffy (only a guess since he joined the club not long after) and the fact that he is young and can cover 2-3 different positions. I’d like to see him at RB in a back four but I really don’t think he’ll be any use at RWB with no one in front of him.

Would even consider playing him in midfield along side Maxwell and Murdoch. There would be plenty of energy in that midfield trio.

I wonder if he might get a run at right back on Saturday ! May as well see what’s he’s got before the Inverness fixture comes into clear view .

Part of the problem in the last few months is having defenders in midfield because the midfield was too lightweight. 
Having Muirhead and Ndaba filling in is ok temporarily, it worked with Adams and Bell mostly but we had a holding midfield player in Kerr, a pest in Docherty and an attacking midfielder in Crawford. 

We don’t have the correct mix in midfield and the ball rarely goes through it when we attack and they don’t really support when the forward players have the ball. 

The frustrating thing with this team is, you can’t fault them for effort. Every player makes mistakes and the two that were made on Saturday weren’t through lack of effort. I criticised Adeloye for a lack of effort before but I’ve came to realise that that isn’t his game. Like Eddie Annand, he’s not going to run all day, but give him a chance in the box and he’ll put it away 9/10 times.

it is purely down to set-up and tactics. Without the right mix in midfield, setting up to play quick, long balls to a forwards who don’t do that, delivered by defenders that can’t make the passes. 

14 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

The frustrating thing with this team is, you can’t fault them for effort.

Pick eleven people on here to start on a Saturday and you'd get effort, I dare say Hopkin doesn't lack for effort. It's quality to go with the effort that we're lacking, in both the dugout and on the pitch.

Effort should be the minimum we expect.

4 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Pick eleven people on here to start on a Saturday and you'd get effort, I dare say Hopkin doesn't lack for effort. It's quality to go with the effort that we're lacking, in both the dugout and on the pitch.

Effort should be the minimum we expect.

You'd also get to see my man boobs wobbling about.