The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, North British said:

Mate you seriously need to catch a grip ! You make some good points , Adeloye for instance is no target man but he is clearly a goal scorer , maybe even a chanel runner as well . The irony is he’s the harder to find type striker , a big lump to play beside him in the target role should have been easier to find . Perhaps the Burnley thing can be revived and we can get Harker onboard . The midfield is fucked at the moment , but we’re looking to get somebody in . That’ll let Aero go back to defence and that in turn will probably  see Baird moving on . However for all your good points there is a whiff of of hysteria and agenda against Hopkin , let’s have a look at some facts : 1. We have lost one game in five and that was away from home at the darlings of the media 2. We made it out our LC group , made some prize money and will make some more gate money from our last 16 tie 3.  We have a striker who looks like hitting double figures  4. We have a pretty decent pool of players 5. And of course a Chairman willing to put his hand in his pocket . So I’d say hardly the worst of times , yes room for improvement, but not the time to through the rattle out the pram and desert your team .

I think you need to catch reality

The Burnley loans - I've not got in to a wanking frenzy over them like some folk because there is no guarantee they will be any good or we can do anything with them

Adeloye has scored goals, I wasn't slagging him, I was slagging the way we play him. 

The stuff about Muirhead and Baird is fantasyland stuff

Agenda against Hopkin? Agenda against someone who almost relegated Morton and has, step by step repeated the same car crash with the majority of the same bodies and had made a bad Ayr team substantially worse but sure, call it an "agenda" if it keeps you from facing the reality. 

"Lets look at the facts"

We have lost one game in 5.......

A draw against Albion Rovers where we were second best and we lost on penalties. a win against a team currently 0 for 2 in the third division, didn't win or draw a game in the group stage and a win against a basket case Hamilton, who lost to Morton on Saturday to put it in to context. 

Then we have a game against Kilmarnock where we didn't register a shot on goal and a 2-2 draw with a part time team that should have been out of sight after an hour and somehow we scraped a draw, at home, to a part time team, after having 4 shots on goal, at home. 

We made it out of the group stage of the league cup, by virtue of an awarded 3-0 victory over Falkirk, there is no way we were guaranteed a victory in that

We have a decent pool of players......going to need to see your workings on that one. 

A chairman who is willing to put his hand in his pocket, we had a chairman who was the polar opposite and we weren't out the top 4 in the championship until he left. Chucking money at bodies doesn't equal success. Having the right quality, mix and manager will go further. Other managers have managed to get a better team on the park, one that is capable of stringing 2 passes together, with part time players and a fraction of the wage budget. 

I am not deserting my team, I am not paying more money than I already have to have my day ruined by a manager who is the only person in the world other than you that thinks what he is doing is working. That signing a team of failures and playing the same way he failed before is somehow going to work, despite getting boo'd off the park on Saturday and ironic cheers every time they tried to play the ball forward. 

The game on Saturday reminded me of the Morton game last season, Ayr were out of sight and Kerr played it safe to take the three points, somehow Morton, who were never in the game and were absolutely stinking scored 3 to win it. Thats what we did to Arbroath. 

19 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

The Burnley loans - I've not got in to a wanking frenzy over them like some folk because there is no guarantee they will be any good or we can do anything with them

Adeloye has scored goals, I wasn't slagging him, I was slagging the way we play him. 

The stuff about Muirhead and Baird is fantasyland stuff

Agenda against Hopkin? Agenda against someone who almost relegated Morton and has, step by step repeated the same car crash with the majority of the same bodies and had made a bad Ayr team substantially worse but sure, call it an "agenda" if it keeps you from facing the reality. 

"Lets look at the facts"

We have lost one game in 5.......

A draw against Albion Rovers where we were second best and we lost on penalties. a win against a team currently 0 for 2 in the third division, didn't win or draw a game in the group stage and a win against a basket case Hamilton, who lost to Morton on Saturday to put it in to context. 

Then we have a game against Kilmarnock where we didn't register a shot on goal and a 2-2 draw with a part time team that should have been out of sight after an hour and somehow we scraped a draw, at home, to a part time team, after having 4 shots on goal, at home. 

We made it out of the group stage of the league cup, by virtue of an awarded 3-0 victory over Falkirk, there is no way we were guaranteed a victory in that

We have a decent pool of players......going to need to see your workings on that one. 

A chairman who is willing to put his hand in his pocket, we had a chairman who was the polar opposite and we weren't out the top 4 in the championship until he left. Chucking money at bodies doesn't equal success. Having the right quality, mix and manager will go further. Other managers have managed to get a better team on the park, one that is capable of stringing 2 passes together, with part time players and a fraction of the wage budget. 

I am not deserting my team, I am not paying more money than I already have to have my day ruined by a manager who is the only person in the world other than you that thinks what he is doing is working. That signing a team of failures and playing the same way he failed before is somehow going to work, despite getting boo'd off the park on Saturday and ironic cheers every time they tried to play the ball forward. 

The game on Saturday reminded me of the Morton game last season, Ayr were out of sight and Kerr played it safe to take the three points, somehow Morton, who were never in the game and were absolutely stinking scored 3 to win it. Thats what we did to Arbroath. 

Wow spin it how you like moosh but it’s one defeat in five games , centre forward with 3 goals in five games and in the last 16 of the LC . 

I also have it on reasonable authority that Chalmers and Baird can go if they can find themselves new clubs . Also the Burnley thing went tits up and talks are ongoing to revive it . 

Are things perfect , in my opinion no they aren’t but this is a long journey Ayr United are on , but they are on the journey , for the first time in about 50 years . So your points are noted , now stop throwing your toys about and grow a pair .

9 minutes ago, North British said:

Wow spin it how you like moosh but it’s one defeat in five games , centre forward with 3 goals in five games and in the last 16 of the LC . 

I also have it on reasonable authority that Chalmers and Baird can go if they can find themselves new clubs . Also the Burnley thing went tits up and talks are ongoing to revive it . 

Are things perfect , in my opinion no they aren’t but this is a long journey Ayr United are on , but they are on the journey , for the first time in about 50 years . So your points are noted , now stop throwing your toys about and grow a pair .

For the first time in 50 years? What are you on about? 

also, “moosh” enough of the toxic masculinity pish, because I don’t agree with you I need to grow a pair, I need to man up….get that to f**k you patronising p***k 

I'm kind of in the middle of both of you in as much as I hate the tactics, I hate the style of play and I find it a huge step down from what we had over the past couple of seasons.

That said, we are in the 2nd tier and far from a whipping boy, we are progressing off the pitch, we have a large pool of adequate players if uninspiring and the club does seem as stable as it's been in a long time.

We do need at least 1 central midfielder and we do need to have another plan for playing football and getting the best out of someone like O'Connor who has undoubted talent and could be a revelation at this level if played correctly.

All in all, things could be much, much worse.......

We have won one of Hopkins's eleven league matches. 

All comps looks better (I've not included the covid win)

Won: 4

Drew: 6

Lost: 6

Edited by itzdrk

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'm kind of in the middle of both of you in as much as I hate the tactics, I hate the style of play and I find it a huge step down from what we had over the past couple of seasons.

That said, we are in the 2nd tier and far from a whipping boy, we are progressing off the pitch, we have a large pool of adequate players if uninspiring and the club does seem as stable as it's been in a long time.

We do need at least 1 central midfielder and we do need to have another plan for playing football and getting the best out of someone like O'Connor who has undoubted talent and could be a revelation at this level if played correctly.

All in all, things could be much, much worse.......

I’m pretty much onside with 80% of the above , where I beg to differ is the step down of the last couple of years . The McCall machine floundered every season as the Autumn turned to winter . If we played summer football I’d be screaming for a manager that played fast slick passing football . However we don’t and it’ll be parka weather soon enough . Hopkin does need to be less predictable and at home two strikers are a must ! I mean did wee Henry expect us to be going up in Smith’s first season ? What a wee laddie . 

I think the signing of a midfielder is a bit of a watershed moment for Hopkin if he signs a half decent midfielder who can link the defence and attack but we still launch long balls over him from McGinty and co the writing will be in the wall, we have all seen in glimpses that if we pass the ball we look okay.

1 minute ago, North British said:

I’m pretty much onside with 80% of the above , where I beg to differ is the step down of the last couple of years . The McCall machine floundered every season as the Autumn turned to winter . If we played summer football I’d be screaming for a manager that played fast slick passing football . However we don’t and it’ll be parka weather soon enough . Hopkin does need to be less predictable and at home two strikers are a must ! I mean did wee Henry expect us to be going up in Smith’s first season ? What a wee laddie . 

Wee Henry can see a team that went from 4th to 8th and salvaged a draw against the only part time team in the league to soar up to 8th place again in Smiths first season. My expectations must be slightly higher than yours.

or am I putting spin on it again? 

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I must be watching a different guy, i've been very impressed with Adeloye so far and think he's held the ball up pretty well considering he's had high balls punted at him with 3 defenders on him in a flash with little to no support. 

I have also been very impressed with his attitude and work rate and dread to think what kind of state we'd be in without him.

As for Afolabi, on the very little I've seen of him he's failed to impress as doesn't look so interested, doesn't appear to have as good a touch and seems much more awkward generally. I really hope I'm wrong and hope he comes good though as we need two competent strikers up top at the bare minimum.

To be fair to Afolabi, from the little I know of him he has plenty of pace and likes to play on the shoulder of defenders - he has came on against teams who have been winning so have been sitting deeper. I imagine we should see the best of him from the start of a game - whether he can work with Adeloye is another question! 

Some proper twilight zone posts here.  Adeloye has been totally ineffective so far against serious opposition (Accies, Them and Arbroath).  Quite happy to give him the benefit of the doubt insofar as he works hard, seems to have a good attitude and above all Is being let down by our seriously awful tactics.  A bit of width and Moffat behind him using his game intelligence and there might be something there, but the jury is out,  not least because Hopkin probably won’t change the tactics.  Don’t know anything about Afolabi, but 3 goals in 19 games for Dundee isn't encouraging.

55 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Wee Henry can see a team that went from 4th to 8th and salvaged a draw against the only part time team in the league to soar up to 8th place again in Smiths first season. My expectations must be slightly higher than yours.

This is were your problems lie wee Henry , your looking for too much in one window . 

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

We have won one of Hopkins's eleven league matches. 

All comps looks better (I've not included the covid win)

Won: 4

Drew: 6

Lost: 6

This is what worries me. Anyone talking up the league record is polishing a turd. It's been dreadful and needs to change sharpish. 

31 minutes ago, North British said:

This is were your problems lie wee Henry , your looking for too much in one window . 

I'm looking too much at the results since he took over "wee north British" and they don't look good. 

Same results with 10 (ten) new players and more on the way. maybe in 3 windows time and 45 new players we will have a winning team eh? 

4 minutes ago, Fitbafollower said:

I believe Murdoch and Muirhead will be getting monitored by other championships managers if there are options for signing them in January 

mr McCall and other will be keeping an eye on things

should Ayr be looking to extend players contracts if they are in last year?

Really not seeing this at all.

Anyone defending hopkin at this point needs their head checked. His performance terrible, tactics horrendous and recruitment laughable. 

I really don’t see many clubs in this league wanting to sign our players on a PCA unless they seriously improve with the exception of Murdoch who McCall will be over like a rash.  This would only be because he knows how he can perform and maybe is the last manager to get a performance from him

Edited by ryanayr1987

I think after a lifetime of watching this club if people feel like the current product isn't worthy of paying for then they absolutely have that right. Without fear of any sniping or trying to persuade them otherwise. 

There isn't a right or wrong reason as to why people decide to attend religiously week in week out or take some time out, to then stop going altogether. 

I used to believe that crowd sizes for us were in correlation to results and style of play to a lesser extent, McCall's time in charge when we were at the peak of our recent Championship powers would say otherwise. 

Even the most ardent of fan would say that more performances like Saturday past would give them huge doubts about going every week. Yes it was that bad.

For me, the reasons people stop attending are a combination of a variety of factors, some that may actually be outwith their control. Work, family commitments, illness, financial hardship, unemployment and relocation all have a major impact to name but some. 

What cant be denied is that steadily for the past 40+ years the majority of football teams in this country have been haemorraging customers every 2nd week. What have the clubs themselves actually done about it? 

I love the local identity being an Ayr fan gives me, if I'd grown up in Stirling, Berwick, Dingwall or any other provincial town I'd like to think I'd always have supported my local team. 

For fans like us, loyalty lasts forever, unconditionally, but cant always be seen every week by attending games.

I've read recently about Motherwell trying to provide support and free tickets to locals living on the breadline and also separate schemes to support those with poor mental health. 

As a club we don't seem to have anything that looks to boost attendances, entice people back and build long term lasting relationships with the wider community / fan base.

It's a sort of lukewarm dip in and out attitude from both club and fanbase. Perhaps there is a lot of excellent work being done by the club and we just don't get to hear about it.

For as long as I've known it, 40 years or more, I've felt the attitude from within the boardroom has been a hybrid take it or leave it, there's always tomorrow type of attitude. Rudderless and hugely reactive, the majority of the time. 

If the club gave away 5000 tickets for home and away fans for the next home game and asked people to make a voluntary donation on the way in where would the harm be? Better doing it on the way in than on the way out judging by Saturday. 🙈

I'd rather see something like that being done than not. On that sort of scale as well. Giving 20 here or there merely scratches the surface of the problem. 

Perhaps the new owner has grand plans, the hub is a brilliant overdue idea but there has to be a suitable level of fans in attendance in the first place to maximise its undoubted potential. 

Edited by BukyOHare