The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

There's no schadenfreude in this.. just genuine bafflement at Hopkin. But everything you lot are talking about him is carbon copy of what Morton fans were thinking. Prefers his own players to the extent he would getting rid of guys who were already there and doing well in favour of someone shite he signed, ultra-defensive formations and aimless long balls from the centre backs, baffling post match interviews, etc. 

Surely he would learnt something from his time at Morton rather than just do the exact same things again?

3 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

There's no schadenfreude in this.. just genuine bafflement at Hopkin. But everything you lot are talking about him is carbon copy of what Morton fans were thinking. Prefers his own players to the extent he would getting rid of guys who were already there and doing well in favour of someone shite he signed, ultra-defensive formations and aimless long balls from the centre backs, baffling post match interviews, etc. 

Surely he would learnt something from his time at Morton rather than just do the exact same things again?

It absolutely has the feeling of someone who desperately wants to prove they were right all along so they can shove it in someone's face. From what I've read and seen of him and wanting to be called "Hoppy" as a grown man doesn't suggest anything other than a man with an ego (like alot of football managers in fairness). I don't know much about Duffy, but would sincerely hope he sees the writing on the wall and has a word soon. 

4 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

The only thing I would say is that there do appear to be a few decent signings - Maxwell, Afolabi, potentially O’Connor and Adeloye. At the moment they are being completely wasted though. 

I think most of us are trying to hold on to any tiny bit of hope we can get, the next part of which is signing a competent central midfielder. It would need to be someone who doesn’t accept the ball being fired over their head, and I’m not sure he would sign that person for those reasons. Murdoch keep offering for the ball off the defenders at the weekend, and was largely ignored. 

Would it have been Hopkin or Duffy that didn’t renew Murdoch’s contract when he came to us? 

2 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

It absolutely has the feeling of someone who desperately wants to prove they were right all along so they can shove it in someone's face. From what I've read and seen of him and wanting to be called "Hoppy" as a grown man doesn't suggest anything other than a man with an ego (like alot of football managers in fairness). I don't know much about Duffy, but would sincerely hope he sees the writing on the wall and has a word soon. 

We had Ramsbottom throwing them in left, right and centre until we signed Rogers. He was instantly, correctly, dropped but as soon as Rogers made a mistake Ramsbottom was thrown back in and kept his place for a few weeks despite more clangers. Really felt like he was cutting his nose to spite his face to prove that Ramsbottom wasn't an absolute haddie. 

3 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

I don't know much about Duffy, but would sincerely hope he sees the writing on the wall and has a word soon. 

If we keep persisting with playing such eye bleedingly negative crap at home it won't be long until the fans turn on the manager. Somerset can get pretty poisonous and you'd hope it would be too much for Hopkin and Smith to ignore.

I'm getting seething just thinking about how we setup and played against Arbroath.

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

If we keep persisting with playing such eye bleedingly negative crap at home it won't be long until the fans turn on the manager. Somerset can get pretty poisonous and you'd hope it would be too much for Hopkin and Smith to ignore.

I'm getting seething just thinking about how we setup and played against Arbroath.

I'm trying to give him the first run of games before choosing pitchforks or accepting it is what it is. But nonsense like the first half and then a second half which was basically a "here what you could have won" really isn't helping. Smith can't be totally blind to it, he will have heard the fans on Saturday and there have been plenty of people kicking off on the official channels. 

39 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

You'd be surprised how many Scottish football managers are arrogant enough to have the ethos 'Well it worked at Livingston (for Hopkin) so it'll work everywhere else' and they'll never change how they set their teams up.

4 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

I'm trying to give him the first run of games before choosing pitchforks or accepting it is what it is. But nonsense like the first half and then a second half which was basically a "here what you could have won" really isn't helping. Smith can't be totally blind to it, he will have heard the fans on Saturday and there have been plenty of people kicking off on the official channels. 

I'm trying as well but totally failing tbf. 🤣

I want it to work and will through gritted teeth will accept hoppyball if it looks like we are getting somewhere because I don't want to be one of these clubs that change manager every 9 months, it's a big learning curve for David Smith when he employes a new architect at his building company no one is questioning his decision or talking about it endlessly on social media or the local paper, things need to improve quickly though personally I'll give it to the end of the month before I give up on him completely at least then we might have time to get some one in who can save the season

12 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I was fairly confident of beating Dundee U up until Saturday.  They beat rangers and we were lucky to escape with a draw at home to fcking Arbroath. Hopefully we can get another 2-0 win against them 

Prior to that, they were horrendous against Aberdeen and were even worse against Kelty Hearts where they scraped through late on despite playing a full strength side.

Having said that, 6/5 is still a great price considering our start and the fact that we create very little from open play.

16 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

I want it to work and will through gritted teeth will accept hoppyball if it looks like we are getting somewhere because I don't want to be one of these clubs that change manager every 9 months, it's a big learning curve for David Smith when he employes a new architect at his building company no one is questioning his decision or talking about it endlessly on social media or the local paper, things need to improve quickly though personally I'll give it to the end of the month before I give up on him completely at least then we might have time to get some one in who can save the season

I hate the style as well, but ultimately it will all boil down to results.

If we start picking up 1-0 wins and decent 0-0 , 1-1 draws, then there's no doubt that the fans and the board will be content without perhaps being happy as such. On the other hand, if we are on the end of a couple of consecutive poor results and we create little to nothing, then there's no doubt that the fans will turn.

It looks like it's going to be a very tight league again with big spending and second favourites Dunfermline starting off with a lucky point away to unfancied Morton followed by an absolute pumping at home to the promoted side from League 1. QOS with two straight defeats and Hamilton also off to a poor start so it's not only ourselves with problems, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Hawk89 said:

It absolutely has the feeling of someone who desperately wants to prove they were right all along so they can shove it in someone's face.

If you fail or underachieve and then keep doing the same thing over and over and expect things to change for the better then you're in for a shock. 

That's what made the chat on here during the summer, preaching that after last season things would change for the better, even more amusing. 

From all that we've seen so far, Hoppy isn't for changing his recruitment strategy, tactics or altering things during games, vital attributes for a successful manager.

It's where this "experiment" will leave us longer term that worries me greatly

When he's scraping about for his next gig perhaps he'll have a major rethink about how he goes about things. From all the things I'm seeing I somehow doubt it. 

Miller, among others, being offered out to other clubs as well by all accounts. 

I’ve went through the Burley era after McLeod spent all the money when we went full time and paid fees for average players. Results weren’t good and the atmosphere was flat after McLeod but we brought through 2 under 21 centre half’s and signed Duncan George.

I went through the Stainrod era where he signed a tonne of players, ended up signing junior players and had an assistant manager that more or less paid to be there. He nearly took us to rock bottom before finally getting fired

I went through the Daziel era where we spent millions and because of big noses ego, won nothing

i went through the post Daziel Campbell Money era, where we had a fire sale on players to pay our bills, brought through youth because we had no option, players like Stuart Kean and laterally Conway went on to have decent careers.

I went through the Mark Shanks, two Rabs and Neil Watt era when we had no money, signed some of the worst players in the clubs history like David Dunn and Barry John Corr. 

went through the Reid era where we signed decent part time players we could afford and were hard to beat.

I went through the Roberts era where he sent out players tae dae hings and brought through players like Crawford and Forrest. 

I went through the McCall era where we went full time, developed players and played good football, signed permanently injured players and had a small squad.

Now the Hopkin era, full time, a squad of close to 20 senior players, dreadful to watch football and even worse results.

This Saturday, for the first time in 35 years I will be in the house with absolutely no good reason not to be at the football other than I can’t be arsed. I have gone to games when we have already been relegated, I have gone to games when I am ill.

I will be in the house this Saturday listening to open all mics….I don’t even want to watch the stream it’s that bad. 

20 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

If you fail or underachieve and then keep doing the same thing over and over and expect things to change for the better then you're in for a shock. 

That's what made the chat on here during the summer, preaching that after last season things would change for the better, even more amusing. 

From all that we've seen so far, Hoppy isn't for changing his recruitment strategy, tactics or altering things during games, vital attributes for a successful manager.

It's where this "experiment" will leave us longer term that worries me greatly

When he's scraping about for his next gig perhaps he'll have a major rethink about how he goes about things. From all the things I'm seeing I somehow doubt it. 

Miller, among others, being offered out to other clubs as well by all accounts. 

I don’t mind Miller and Chalmers being offered out to other clubs, especially if we make decent midfield signings this week. If it was someone like Moffat though, I would be firmly in the Hopkin out camp. 

I don’t mind Miller and Chalmers being offered out to other clubs, especially if we make decent midfield signings this week. If it was someone like Moffat though, I would be firmly in the Hopkin out camp. 

Hopkin gave Moffat a new contract though?

I just think he’s being given as much time as possible to fully recover from COVID. Charlie Adam said he wasn’t right for about 6 weeks and it massively affected his performances.