The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Aidan McAdams was arguably the best goalkeeper in the league last year so I’d hope he is our number 1 going forward. Albinson hasn’t done much wrong but I’d feel far more confident with McAdams. 

ETA: Aside from Craig Gordon who is obviously a class above. 

Edited by ayrunitedfw

I’d be hoping against Dundee United we line up like so,

McAdams

Fjortfoft
Muirhead
McGinty

Houston
Murdoch
New CM
Maxwell
Reading

O’Connor
Afolabi

Might be harsh against Adeloye but I’d like to see what Afolabi can do. That shape there also allows Maxwell to get further forward on the left, O’Connor to stretch it on the right and Murdoch plus one other midfielder to cover the space, possibly with the help of Muirhead.

10 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d be hoping against Dundee United we line up like so,

McAdams

Fjortfoft
Muirhead
McGinty

Houston
Murdoch
New CM
Maxwell
Reading

O’Connor
Afolabi

Might be harsh against Adeloye but I’d like to see what Afolabi can do. That shape there also allows Maxwell to get further forward on the left, O’Connor to stretch it on the right and Murdoch plus one other midfielder to cover the space, possibly with the help of Muirhead.

I'd also have Houston punted for McAllister and Adeloye along with Afolabi up top with O'Connor coming on later if not working.

Ideally though we wouldn't be having 5 at the back in the first place !!

As an aside, did anyone else notice that we punted high long balls up to Adeloye when on his own in the first half, however when we had 3 up top in the last 20 mins we seemed to be playing tippy tappy sideways passes across the back rather than getting it up quickly when we actually had men there !!!

All very strange.

7 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

What I want him him to play
McAdams

McAlister Fjortoft McGinty Redding

O'Conner Muirhead Murdoch Maxwell

Adeloye Afolabi

What he will he play 631

Albiston

Houston Baird Fjortoft Muirhead Baird Redding

Murdoch Maxwell Salkeld

Adeloye

He won't play Baird twice

8 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

What I want him him to play
McAdams

McAlister Fjortoft McGinty Redding

O'Conner Muirhead Murdoch Maxwell

Adeloye Afolabi

What he will he play 631

Albiston

Houston Baird Fjortoft Muirhead Baird Redding

Murdoch Maxwell Salkeld

Adeloye

Pretty much my preferred side as well.

1 minute ago, Superhursy7 said:
5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:
It would all have been so much easier if sandy boy had got the job 2 years ago !!

I can't disagree with this Sandy with Kerr being assistant being groomed to take over may have worked, but we are where we are now.

Would go as far to say between Sandy, Kerr and Mick we probably would have been alright last season. Always had the gut feeling that Kerr may bit off more than he could chew and really needed a spare pair of hands. Ifs and buts, same with Jim McIntyre 🙁

I can't disagree with this Sandy with Kerr being assistant being groomed to take over may have worked, but we are where we are now.

Would go as far to say between Sandy, Kerr and Mick we probably would have been alright last season. Always had the gut feeling that Kerr may bit off more than he could chew and really needed a spare pair of hands. Ifs and buts, same with Jim McIntyre [emoji853]

If Kerr didn’t get the job he’d have been as well leaving there and then otherwise he’d have kicked up a stink like he did at Falkirk when he was passed over for the job after Houston.

I don’t think Sandy Stewart was the right choice either. He was a good coach but there’s nothing to suggest he’d have made a good manager.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If Kerr didn’t get the job he’d have been as well leaving there and then otherwise he’d have kicked up a stink like he did at Falkirk when he was passed over for the job after Houston.

I don’t think Sandy Stewart was the right choice either. He was a good coach but there’s nothing to suggest he’d have made a good manager.

At least we would have retained him as a coach though and would most likely still have been playing the lovely pass and move, possession based stuff that he introduced when joining us.

I think lots of our supporters forget the grim stuff that we were playing under McCall prior to Sandy Stewart's arrival. There's no doubt in my mind that McCall was a great man Manager and motivator but there's also no doubt that it was Sandy Stewart who had us playing the excellent on the eye football that we were playing.

Of course, there's no guarantees that it would have worked out with him as Manager and sadly we'll never know for sure either.

32 minutes ago, North British said:

Think for Dundee United he may go 4-5-1 .

McAdams 

Houston Baird McGinty Reading

Salkeld Murdoch Aero O’Conner Maxwell

Adeloye 

I'd maybe swap Houston for McAllister if he's fit enough.

I'd also give Chalmers a shot from the start. I dunno why as apart from ICT away where he had a great game i can't remember him doing much but for some reason the team make more chances when he's in it

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

Am I the only one who fails to see what Salkeld brings to the starting eleven? Yes he runs quite a lot but with very little end product

Was talking about this on Saturday, he'll run for days just don't expect anything technical. Can see a place for him in a hard working midfield with technically gifted players given his sheer effort but we don't have one of them. Can assume Hopkin likes him as he's like a dog chasing a kite. 

Hard to say the keeper should be dropped for Saturday but these are the situations where having two keepers comes in to play, one has a bad game it gives the other a chance to try and stay in the team. 

All goes to f**k if McAdams plays like he did against Albion Rovers though. 

Assuming we'll be defending like f**k for 90 minutes on Saturday, we need to either work out a counter attacking style or go properly long ball. Both are restricted because of the inability to string any kind of passage of play together. I imagine training is like something out a Bond film, just a line of guys kicking a football as hard as they can over and over again. 

Part of the problem on Saturday was that Fjortoft struggled to do anything when he had the ball, Adeloye hides and no one else is moving. We improved once Muirhead came on because he was taking the ball more and was more creative (I can't believe I just typed that) We improved again once Fjortoft went off, not saying he was the cause of any issues but we looked better without him. 

I'd play McAdams on Saturday

Maxwell and Houston as full backs

Baird and McGinty 

Murdoch Muirhead, Chalmers and Hewitt

Moffat, Adeloye

If we are under the cosh we can drop Muirhead in to a back 5, or we can push him forward in midfield to add height and challenge for kick-outs or long balls. Or we can have midfielders drop back in to full back positions and have Maxwell and Houston drive forward. Moffat taking thick centre halfs like Reynolds for a walk to create space. 

What I expect will happen, All the Morton boys will play, No Moffat, Hewitt or Chalmers. A back 5. We'll concede 4 in the first half, no shots on target. Afolabi will be given 20 minutes with no touches of the ball, McKenzie will get the last 10. 

Final score - 0-5