The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

He won the Scottish cup with Terry Butcher’s team (only 1 player in the match day squad was signed by Hughes) and the next season when tasked with building his own team he made an absolute fucking c**t of it. 

His recruitment is criminal and probably the worst in the whole SPFL.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the following season you finished seventh and made the quarter final of both cups. Definitely not making a c**t of it on my book! 

Also, coming on to the thread of a Hopkin managed team and claiming someone has the worst recruitment skills in the SPFL is far too bold. 

Just now, THEHonestman1910 said:

Yeah this is true. This is the same bloke who put Ryan Stevenson in goals. 

And thought it was a great idea to put Lewis Vaughan out on loan and effectively relegated him at Raith.  

Yep. An utter haddy at signing players.

1 minute ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Yeah this is true. This is the same bloke who put Ryan Stevenson in goals. 

And thought it was a great idea to put Lewis Vaughan out on loan and effectively relegated him at Raith.  

Hughes didn’t put Vaughan out on loan. 

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

He won the Scottish cup with Terry Butcher’s team (only 1 player in the match day squad was signed by Hughes) and the next season when tasked with building his own team he made an absolute fucking c**t of it. 

His recruitment is criminal and probably the worst in the whole SPFL.

Terry Butcher, arguably terrible manager. 

John Hughes CV is pretty good on the face of it but he is mostly despised at any club he's managed. He can't just be lucky, there must be some aspect of his management that is an asset or he wouldn't have achieved what he has. Maybe he needs to work with a DOF that makes the signings for him to work with. 

I remember seeing all the usual media fluffers backing Daziel and saying Ayr fans were ungrateful wanting the big nosed fraud sacked. You always listen to the fans when it comes to a managers performance. Robbie Nielson is 2 for 2 on promotions out the championship but I wouldn't want him in the dug-out at Ayr. 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the following season you finished seventh and made the quarter final of both cups. Definitely not making a c**t of it on my book! 

Also, coming on to the thread of a Hopkin managed team and claiming someone has the worst recruitment skills in the SPFL is far too bold. 

We were shite that season and he had the biggest budget any The Caley manager has ever had and signed about 6 players who were all released before the end of the season. 

6 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

That was Gary Locke. I recall Locke talking on the radio and saying that he worked with Stevenson at Hearts and knew what he was capable of but he had bulked up too much.

Here's an article from the Courier just for good measure. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-championship/342569/ryan-stevenson-can-give-raith-rovers-clinical-touch-says-gary-locke/amp/

Edited by Trogdor

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

We were shite that season and he had the biggest budget any The Caley manager has ever had and signed about 6 players who were all released before the end of the season. 

The biggest budget an ICT manager has ever had is still going to be around mid table in the top league, so he basically performed as expected.  He left at the end of that season, and the following season you were relegated...

Every manager has signing failings, and clearly he had a few but I’m absolutely not buying that he was a poor manager for you. 

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Not really. Ask the fans of any of the other clubs he’s managed.

Yeah, I get you don't belive he can build a squad given your experience at Caley. However, he's not the worst in the entire SPFL? That's hyperbolic.

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

The biggest budget an ICT manager has ever had is still going to be around mid table in the top league, so he basically performed as expected.  He left at the end of that season, and the following season you were relegated...

Every manager has signing failings, and clearly he had a few but I’m absolutely not buying that he was a poor manager for you. 

Ok, you must know better than most The Caley fans. 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’ll do a tenner charity bet (of your choice) that Jim Duffy will not be any more than a caretaker manager should David Hopkin be sacked.

I remember talking to Sanny McAnespie a while ago, he was talking about snakes in football, I'll not name names but he spoke about assistants that were in the chairman's ear about taking over when things got bad. He said that in football, if you fail as a team, you leave as a team. He was assistant at Morton (I think) and the manager quit, he told Sanny to apply for the managers job but he refused because he couldn't help as a coach so he had failed as well. 

I'd like to think that Duffy is offering support to Hopkin and I assume Hopkin is listening and here we are. 

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Ok, you must know better than most The Caley fans. 

Fans often can’t see things, for example after he left some Ayr fans actually thought McCall was holding us back and we could kick on without him. 

😂 a manager takes a provincial club to their highest ever finish, qualifies for Europe and wins the Scottish Cup. Poor. 

Mccall was a good shout at the time because he was probably sitting in his house watching reruns of heartbeat and minder on itv3, twiddling his thumbs and drinking Scrumpy Jack's before he got the phone call from the super. He even got the backup of Neil Lennon for the job. Mccall knew the leagues and knew what players to add to a team. Ayr were a different team under him. 

Mark Kerr had just started his management career, so would be unfair to judge. Though had contacts and a few wins. Ultimately he failed and was replaced by.... 

David Hopkin has added players from a team that finished below Ayr and it isn't working out. His tactics look like they have been drawn with a crayola crayon on the back of a fag packet. Ayr certainly have the players, a few additions in certain positions wouldn't go a miss, though would be totally wasted by the 'Punt the ball into their box from ours' pish. I honestly want to know what other managers had applied for the ayr job when he did, because drawing with part time Arbroath is just f*cking laughable. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Fans often can’t see things, for example after he left some Ayr fans actually thought McCall was holding us back and we could kick on without him. 

😂 a manager takes a provincial club to their highest ever finish, qualifies for Europe and wins the Scottish Cup. Poor. 

I said his recruitment was shite.  Nowhere did I say he was poor. He’s a good manager when he has the previous manager’s players. When he has to build his own team, you’d be as well appointing your dead gran.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

I said his recruitment was shite.  Nowhere did I say he was poor. He’s a good manager when he has the previous manager’s players. When he has to build his own team, you’d be as well appointing your dead gran.

Both options better than Hopkin. 

Ideally, you would want Hughes as manager with an embedded recruitment system already in place. 

Edited by No_Problemo

11 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Would have argued Angelo Alessio, though he's not in the spfl anymore 🤔 can't think why? 😂

Alessio had us 5th in the league when he got punted, for reasons only truely known to Bowie, McLeish & Jamieson despite what the ITK folks say.

Now, if you'd said Alex Dyer, I doubt you'd have many arguements....

4 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Alessio had us 5th in the league when he got punted, for reasons only truely known to Bowie, McLeish & Jamieson despite what the ITK folks say.

Now, if you'd said Alex Dyer, I doubt you'd have many arguements....

It was between them both tbh, I knew it began with an A. 👍

50 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’ll do a tenner charity bet (of your choice) that Jim Duffy will not be any more than a caretaker manager should David Hopkin be sacked.

Two months (62 days). Doctors Without Borders. Condition is that Hopkin is sacked and Duffy appointed as interim. Expiry end of [prays to Beelzebub] end of 2022-2023 season.

Edited by Thumper

49 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Both options better than Hopkin. 

Ideally, you would want Hughes as manager with an embedded recruitment system already in place. 

You could say the same for Hopkin if you look at his Livi spell.