The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

For what it’s worth (probably not much) as a neutral watching the game on Monday, with no prior knowledge of the Ayr squad, I thought Adeloye looked a very decent player with a good touch and good at holding the ball up.

As previously mentioned, what chance has he got of doing anything of note when the ball is in the air whenever you had it (he also did win his fair share of headers etc but had absolutely no one running off him).

He looks good technically, which should make Ayr fans even more worried because that style of football won’t give him many opportunities to showcase that ability. Surely you won’t attack (no pun intended) every game with that game plan?

Also thought O’Connor looked like a real find in his short cameo.

Edited by VinnyPar

It is how you bounce back that will define us, every team will have poor performances or a poor run this season. Whilst we are only one result in I would still be looking for a reaction v Arbroath and something more akin to the good results we've had in the league cup v Edinburgh and Hamilton in terms of how we set up. Arbroath will absolutely be up for this as well, so there is no place for hiding especially with the fans back in real numbers. 

Albinson

Houston Fjortoft    McGinty Reading

Oconnor Murdoch  Muirhead   Maxwell

Tommi      Johnnie
something more positive like this, wont happen but hey ho, whatever the formation it’s a must win.

433 with Aero holding mid and Moff in the pocket 🤤

9 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Who would we not take from that Killie team?

Are they really that bad?

Although, 1 player made all the difference for Killie - take him out, and it could have been a lot different.

I was meaning the comparative Kilmarnock teams...

They are obviously not inferior to us!

I don't understand how he could be anonymous when he was the sole recipient of Ayr's out ball. I'll agree that he was handled far too easily but that's because four or five players could be on him at their leisure at any time, knowing that no other Ayr player would even be over the halfway line. Likewise for the offsides, he can't really be expected to both a) pick up every ball shelled into the middle of their half by Albinson and also b) be in a perfect position to go past his man (men) every time some other Ayr player somehow picks up the ball and, yes, immediately blasts it in his general direction.
This Saturday is going to be painful.
He didn't hold it up at all well, and it certainly didn't take 4 defenders to cover him.

The offsides really infuriated me as it wasn't as if he was running in behind, which would be understandable. He was late in wandering back - and that's just laziness / poor concentration.

I agree he looked like he had something technically, but for me he was useless in that role.

I also thought mackenzie and hewitt were very poor. At least salkeld puts himself about and ruffles feathers. You can see why hopkin likes him.

But we had too many passengers on Monday. That's on the gaffer as far as I'm concerned.

I didn’t think Afolabi looked that bad, certainly not in comparison to the midfield and that poor soul of a left back.

I’m sure he’ll do ok this season.

As for the semi-chat: that semi-final team did their job for a long long time (as horrible as a job as it was), mostly with thanks to the keeper. Monday’s team did not.

Feel like Hopkin thinks he’s George Graham, be hard to beat, build from the back - ain’t gonna help on Saturday. Or maybe he’s just like Andy Goram when with us, just here for the banter, likes it’s just a laugh.

10 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Who would we not take from that Killie team?

Are they really that bad?

Although, 1 player made all the difference for Killie - take him out, and it could have been a lot different.

I agree with this. I think Ayr fans are being a bit harsh on their team.

If you swapped Chris Burke from one team to another on Monday then I don’t think Ayr were too far off.

32 minutes ago, bazka6 said:

Feel like Hopkin thinks he’s George Graham, be hard to beat, build from the back

The only time anyone at the back had the ball they were desperately hoofing it as hard as possible away from them.

17 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

If you swapped Chris Burke from one team to another on Monday then I don’t think Ayr were too far off.

Remind me: was Burke collecting every ball from a 70-yard punt from the keeper?

According to the Record we are competing for Miko Virtanen with Hamilton and Morton. Hopefully that shows we are in fact after a central midfielder!

Would be an okay signing but we are still lacking someone in midfield who will put their foot on the ball and try and play. Chalmers is literally the only midfielder we have that will try that and he’s utter shit.

43 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I agree with this. I think Ayr fans are being a bit harsh on their team.

Genuine?

13 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Would be an okay signing but we are still lacking someone in midfield who will put their foot on the ball and try and play. Chalmers is literally the only midfielder we have that will try that and he’s utter shit.

Yeah, I don’t have a clue what type of midfielder Virtanen is but your completely right about what type we need. I’m pretty confident we won’t get what we need though. 

18 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

We need a horrible c**t in midfield. Every team does ..a Jamie Adams or a Duncan George. 

I was hopeful Aero could fulfil this role but the disintegrating midfield in front of him seems to negate his ability to carry it out. 

1 hour ago, bazka6 said:

Albinson

Houston Fjortoft    McGinty Reading

Oconnor Murdoch  Muirhead   Maxwell

Tommi      Johnnie

Careful. There will be some accusations flying as to why you only didn't bother to use your strikers' actual names...

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It was still a Kilmarnock side full of players far better than yours.

Did anyone say it wasn’t?

However your current side includes players like Blair Alston, and several championship level players who shouldn’t be that far ahead of what we have.

2 hours ago, VinnyPar said:

For what it’s worth (probably not much) as a neutral watching the game on Monday, with no prior knowledge of the Ayr squad, I thought Adeloye looked a very decent player with a good touch and good at holding the ball up.

As previously mentioned, what chance has he got of doing anything of note when the ball is in the air whenever you had it (he also did win his fair share of headers etc but had absolutely no one running off him).

He looks good technically, which should make Ayr fans even more worried because that style of football won’t give him many opportunities to showcase that ability. Surely you won’t attack (no pun intended) every game with that game plan?

Also thought O’Connor looked like a real find in his short cameo.

100% this.