The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, No_Problemo said:

Two strikers, but no mention of a central midfielder... 🤔

I guess the positive of two, would mean McKenzie would possibly go out on loan and get some proper game time. 

That's what the Burnley loans are for. I expect they will happen after we've played a couple of league games.

Murdoch, Salkeld, McAllister, Miller, Hewitt, Chalmers in that order for starting centre mids I reckon. Hopkin seems to have got Murdoch back to himself (maybe his pre season has been better than Kerr and got him back up to speed).

One thing that has impressed me from what I've seen this season is how good - and flexible - our shape has been. 

It mostly hasn't been a back four but when we're defending but Muirhead can drop in and the wide players cover the full-backs and as a result you can see we are going to be difficult to break down. When we've got the ball, the wide players get up and support Adeloye to make a three. We are going to need O'Connor and Maxwell to get us up the park and both do  like to run with the ball. 

There is no doubt that our 'traditional' midfield options are poor but we've got solid options for the back five (or back four with Muirhead in-front); and an okay, if not unproven front three - perhaps that middle two isn't as important in Hopkin's system? 

Defensive shape is apparently Jim Duffy's strength - so perhaps it's his influence - but I don't really see Hopkin getting any credit for it with all the focus what players we have or need. 

Just now, Trogdor said:

That's what the Burnley loans are for. I expect they will happen after we've played a couple of league games.

Initially I thought the wording of the tweet was to complete the squad, but just re-read it there!

1 minute ago, Kitty_Boy said:

One thing that has impressed me from what I've seen this season is how good - and flexible - our shape has been. 

It mostly hasn't been a back four but when we're defending but Muirhead can drop in and the wide players cover the full-backs and as a result you can see we are going to be difficult to break down. When we've got the ball, the wide players get up and support Adeloye to make a three. We are going to need O'Connor and Maxwell to get us up the park and both do  like to run with the ball. 

There is no doubt that our 'traditional' midfield options are poor but we've got solid options for the back five (or back four with Muirhead in-front); and an okay, if not unproven front three - perhaps that middle two isn't as important in Hopkin's system? 

Defensive shape is apparently Jim Duffy's strength - so perhaps it's his influence - but I don't really see Hopkin getting any credit for it with all the focus what players we have or need. 

There are definitely positive signs in terms of the shape and adaptability of the side, the concern was a lack of quality to complement this. Hopefully O’Connor and to some extent Maxwell can add this. Adeloye’s hold up play also seems to be very good, so this should allow the two or three in behind to get get closer if we are defending rigidly. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Initially I thought the wording of the tweet was to complete the squad, but just re-read it there!

Tbf the VOR tweet does say that. I'd be surprised if we don't bring in a center mid though. It does feel like our weakest area but as someone else said maybe that middle pairing is less important in our formation.

We may actually see some of the younger guys ship out on loan. Hopefully to clubs who will actually play them!

Just now, Trogdor said:

Tbf the VOR tweet does say that. I'd be surprised if we don't bring in a center mid though. It does feel like our weakest area but as someone else said maybe that middle pairing is less important in our formation.

We may actually see some of the younger guys ship out on loan. Hopefully to clubs who will actually play them!

😂 I re - read it and didn’t even notice that, despite noticing it the first time!

I can see why he would want Muirhead in there, to be flexible with the defensive set up. If Murdoch is back to himself, it could work. 

Is the Austrian boy mentioned earlier an actual target or just some name plucked from thin air.

I reckon Hopkin will wait and see if he gets the Burnley players he wants. If he doesn’t he’ll look elsewhere but we still need a central midfielder.

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Both are at a higher level than us tbf, another slight punt if we are correct but hopefully a positive outcome!

Livingston passed on his details to Hopkin, said he showed up well someone else became available 

36 minutes ago, Kitty_Boy said:

I agree with regards to our flexibility however we still look more than a little light in terms of creativity from midfield and genuine goal threats in the final third.

We'll be set up to be tough to beat which I have no issues with and actually applaud but I've still got this nagging doubt about us having sufficient strength in depth and goals in our squad over the course of a season. Looking at the average goals per season for each of our players currently and we're going to have to have somebody having a breakout season to be finishing in the top half of the table.

On today's signing, I like the profile of a player like O'Connor, somebody who's still got loads of potential, a player who's hopefully hungry to keep developing and progressing his game.

Always dangerous to judge someone on his YouTube clips but O'connor looks to be well balanced in possession, someone comfortable going off either foot who's able to run with the ball and commit defenders. 

A lot of similarities to Luke McCowan when he was on form. 

He'll also give us some flexibility in that he's clearly comfortable playing wide or centrally and could even be a second striker playing off big Tomi. 

Good thing about O'Connor is the season in Ireland has only just finished in the last few weeks so he should be fit and raring to go, as for midfield creativity I don't think we can really class the Moff as a striker any more if we need some one to come off the bench and provide that bit of magic that will be his roll this season.

I'm thinking we're going to be more like an Inverness type side from seasons past, which given our record against them may be no bad thing !!!

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'm thinking we're going to be more like an Inverness type side from seasons past, which given our record against them may be no bad thing !!!

Aye, I'm surprised we signed O'connor and Maxwell both being under 6 foot. 🤣

That was Inverness of old, their first question was are you over 6 foot. Whether you could play football or not was secondary! Bloody hammer throwers.

Edited by Trogdor

An exciting signing in O’Conner and a tip of two strikers to come .Wonder who they are , Burnley or not Burnley that is the question .

I see some people are now waking up to the fact that we are not going to be the whipping boys some others predicted .  We will have off days , we will lose games sure , but there are systems in place and decent players with the physical stature and mental strength enough not to roll into a ball when thing go to shit . Having said that we will give any team in this league a game and if they can’t match us for 90 mins then the chances are we’ll win points . Nowhere better to start than Monday in the city of the tramps .  Our worst day up there was when we sent a team of wee boys up there in the cup replay back in the day . We got swept aside by ten men .  That day confirmed to me that without matching teams physically the out come would be more lightly be failure . Hopkin is in the process of fixing this . Of course players like Horace , Kelly , Templeton are needed  , but only when the foundations are in place . So bring it on on Monday , can’t wait .

Well done to the Chairman and manager for getting us ready to fight our corner .