The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, placidcasual said:

Smith chucked it mid season, left us in the lurch to chase his American thing with us in a desperate relegation battle. I won't lose any sleep. He looked decent in comparison to what we had but that wouldn't have been difficult.

We’re kidding ourselves if we believe this.  Smith was decent enough for us in a rotten team and contributed a decent number of goals and assists.  Don’t think it’s a coincidence that we completely disintegrated after he left.  He’s an outstanding signing at our level.  Feels like one well ground out result against Accies has gone to our heads a wee bit. We are chronically short of quality up front.

4 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Fair point but he would of undoubtably been our marquee signing and given the amount of money we were given by the SPFL compared to Thistle you’d of at least thought of we could of matched their offer. 

Yes, I think he did well for us last year and would have addressed an obvious gap in the team. However I was suggesting that our ability to sign him would be based on the terms we were offering primarily rather than how we treated him last year. I have no idea whether we actually approached him or whether Hopkin rates him of course! ETA (I have only now seen the tweet - clearly we did want him)

Edited by rgreig

9 minutes ago, HMIP said:

We’re kidding ourselves if we believe this.  Smith was decent enough for us in a rotten team and contributed a decent number of goals and assists.  Don’t think it’s a coincidence that we completely disintegrated after he left.  He’s an outstanding signing at our level.  Feels like one well ground out result against Accies has gone to our heads a wee bit. We are chronically short of quality up front.

I agree adeloye who currently can’t last 90 minutes, Moffat who can’t hit a barn door and Mckenzie who has potential but has only scored 2 league goals for us as our only forwards isn’t going to cut it. 
we need a few wide players a cm and a centre forward minimum. That would be on top of the lad on loan from rangers 

Eta Moffat offers more than goals but I wouldn’t classify him as a striker anymore 

Edited by ryanayr1987

Think you might be mistaken there.  Hopkin has very little credit in the bank with most of the fans;  so a pasting from Kilmarnock on the first day of the season could be tough for him  to bounce back from.  

Yes it would bring some pressure from the fans, and rightly so - but he certainly wouldn't be sacked.

If he can get results after that then he'll recover. The next derby will come soon enough.
If I remember correctly a lot of folk in here thought we made some excellent signings 'for this level' last summer. Baird was described as just that. The same applies to Chalmers.

I agree adeloye who currently can’t last 90 minutes, Moffat who can’t hit a barn door and Mckenzie who has potential but has only scored 2 league goals for us as our only forwards isn’t going to cut it. 
we need a few wide players a cm and a centre forward minimum. That would be on top of the lad on loan from rangers 

Eta Moffat offers more than goals but I wouldn’t classify him as a striker anymore 
Moffat can't be a regular starter imo.

He's past that, and despite having huge talent on the ball, he just can't do enough these days. He's someone we'll need off the bench if we need a goal (and therefore can surround him with other attacking players).

I'd love the old b*****d to prove me wrong but I think he'll have more of an effect on the dressing room this season.

52 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Think it’s pretty clear we wanted Cammy Smith then! IMO, the only lesson here is to look after ourselves first and foremost, players own interests can always wait a few months or the interested team can put an offer in. 

Yes, completely agree and to be honest it's breathtakingly naive if Smith even thought for a second that his actions a few months ago would have made any difference to the player's decision now - assuming that money was the reason for Smith's decision. As chairman (or owner of any business) his responsibility has to be to the club or business, not being nice to people wanting to leave.

1 minute ago, rgreig said:

Yes, completely agree and to be honest it's breathtakingly naive if Smith even thought for a second that his actions a few months ago would have made any difference to the player's decision now - assuming that money was the reason for Smith's decision. As chairman (or owner of any business) his responsibility has to be to the club or business, not being nice to people wanting to leave.

In fairness, the chairman was on a hiding to nothing - if he’d refused to release Smith, the player would likely have downed tools anyway.  It’s nuts to think he was ever going to re-sign out of loyalty, though he might have done us the courtesy of considering what we had to offer.  

1 hour ago, HMIP said:

Think you might be mistaken there.  Hopkin has very little credit in the bank with most of the fans;  so a pasting from Kilmarnock on the first day of the season could be tough for him  to bounce back from.  

I'd disagree with this on the basis that myself and the guys I know are all more than willing to give him a chance like they would with any other Ayr Manager.

I also don't believe that this Ayr side will be "taking a pasting" from anyone.

I want and expect at least another 3 decent quality signings  for Midfield and Attack and can see no reason why this will not happen. If there's a budget there (and I'm sure there is), then I fully expect it to be spent.

10 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Yes it would bring some pressure from the fans, and rightly so - but he certainly wouldn't be sacked.

If he can get results after that then he'll recover. The next derby will come soon enough. If I remember correctly a lot of folk in here thought we made some excellent signings 'for this level' last summer. Baird was described as just that. The same applies to Chalmers.

He wouldn’t be sacked, but we’ve seen all too well with the Mark Roberts debacle how toxic the atmosphere can turn.  

Going by what I've read Smith was approached by Thistle and nobody else, if that is is the case then he hasn't screwed us or anyone else over.

If this was indeed the case, then it's a bit far fetched to expect him to tell Thistle to wait until he speaks to Ayr first to offer his services as a "thank you" for releasing him from his previous contract.

Todorov on the other hand sounded like he had agreed terms with us and then signed for a rival, but again it's all just hearsay so who knows ??

4 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

No bothered about not getting Smith, not sure where he fits into our team anyway. 

A player of Smith’s style, as the link between the deeper central midfielders and the front two, who can help create for them. Or gives you the option of playing one striker with Smith in behind, or out wide if a change of formation is required. 

ETA: what would you like the third midfielder in that system to be like?

Edited by No_Problemo

I think we should get over what Smith can and can’t do like a number of players that us fans thought we should have signed  , at this moment he is a Thistle player and all we can do now is make sure he does not influence the game when he plays against us , 

Just now, Finlay21 said:

I think we should get over what Smith can and can’t do like a number of players that us fans thought we should have signed  , at this moment he is a Thistle player and all we can do now is make sure he does not influence the game when he plays against us , 

Yup, but we need an alternative player similar in style to him now... just don’t know who that is! 

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

A player of Smith’s style, as the link between the deeper central midfielders and the front two, who can help create for them. Or gives you the option of playing one striker with Smith in behind, or out wide if a change of formation is required. 

If you look at the team that lined up against Accies, how many goals and assists would we expect that team to generate over a season?  Our only real tactic was long throws into the box.  Players like Smith are the guys who win you football matches - that said, he was never signing for us as there are too many clubs around who would have wanted him and could put more cash on the table.