The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

The league cup isn’t much of a barometer for how teams will perform.  Based on recent form, we could be ok but if you look at the reasons why I think that, then maybe we aren’t. 
we are solid at the back and look like we won’t concede many. Like Morton(and this defence) last season, it doesn’t guarantee a decent season.

we have what appears to be a decent forward in Adeloye, but we only have one, teams will become wise to him and the style of play and we need to diversify, long ball doesn’t work. 

There is a management mantra about building from the back and creating a spine of a team and it looks like we have done the first part but a lot will depend on who we bring in now that will join middle to front and what options we have when things start to go wrong.  

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

The league cup isn’t much of a barometer for how teams will perform.  Based on recent form, we could be ok but if you look at the reasons why I think that, then maybe we aren’t. 
we are solid at the back and look like we won’t concede many. Like Morton(and this defence) last season, it doesn’t guarantee a decent season.

we have what appears to be a decent forward in Adeloye, but we only have one, teams will become wise to him and the style of play and we need to diversify, long ball doesn’t work. 

There is a management mantra about building from the back and creating a spine of a team and it looks like we have done the first part but a lot will depend on who we bring in now that will join middle to front and what options we have when things start to go wrong.  

Can’t argue with any of that 👍🏻
I think it’s evident there is a lot more dig throughout the team already. The manager isn’t going to carry passengers I don’t think.

I’ve got my fingers and toes crossed that we have 2 good signings that everyone will be reasonably happy with.

This isn’t remotely comparable. That was one player, and we had two other good strikers. We are at least four short at the moment, in key areas of the pitch. 

How is there less urgency? You want your team playing games together as early as possible. Now we want them in to train together as early as possible before our first league derby in decades. 

Yes, the league cup went well and that’s great but there is still an urgent need for quality additions. 
Fan urgency has no effect, though. It's just pointless knicker-wetting.

Hopkin knows (and has said) that we're still short of players but so are plenty of other teams.

We need to have a bit of faith and see what he manages to do in the next few weeks.

The killie game is big but it's not as big as the entire season. Yes we all want to get off to a good start but we have to let the manager do his job.

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Hopkin knows (and has said) that we're still short of players but so are plenty of other teams.

We need to have a bit of faith and see what he manages to do in the next few weeks.

The killie game is big but it's not as big as the entire season. Yes we all want to get off to a good start but we have to let the manager do his job.

Of course it has no effect, it’s a football forum though - what else are we going to discuss!

Regardless of it being the Killie game or not, the squad should be closer to completion than it currently is. Again, can just about accept that if the quality additions come in on time for the league starting, and to be fair I’ll accept the odd one after the first game if necessary. Just as long as we aren’t anywhere near as short as currently. 

I reckon part of this anxiety is because Killie signed a load of players and did so early on, where as we, along with others, are still padding our teams/squads out. Were we not opening at Rugby Park in 10 days I'm not sure the panic among fans would be as much, could be wrong mind.

I reckon part of this anxiety is because Killie signed a load of players and did so early on, where as we, along with others, are still padding our teams/squads out. Were we not opening at Rugby Park in 10 days I'm not sure the panic among fans would be as much, could be wrong mind.
Killie got rid of a lot of players, though. They had very little choice.

Granted, many on here wouldn't liked hopkin to do likewise but he's decided to keep a fair number of players on. And if the league cup is anything to go by, he's doing ok.

Smith chucked it mid season, left us in the lurch to chase his American thing with us in a desperate relegation battle. I won't lose any sleep. He looked decent in comparison to what we had but that wouldn't have been difficult.

Everyone should be back for the killie game McAlister might not be match fit but will be back in full training, Moff being back gives us that we bit of creativity we have been missing but I think he will be an impact player off the bench saying that though his best form has came in the first few months of the season for the last couple of years.

FWIW, If the season was to start tomorrow with the squads as they are I think we would stay up however if we are serious about having a successful season then we simply need 3 or 4 starters and they all need to be a success 

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Think you might be mistaken there.  Hopkin has very little credit in the bank with most of the fans;  so a pasting from Kilmarnock on the first day of the season could be tough for him  to bounce back from.  

Think it’s pretty clear we wanted Cammy Smith then! IMO, the only lesson here is to look after ourselves first and foremost, players own interests can always wait a few months or the interested team can put an offer in. 

I do wonder who the back up option now is, I don’t think Kelly will be an option. Hopefully someone at a decent standard becomes available soon...

8D9B8F60-0F30-4536-BD10-DE3BD559D706.png

Edited by No_Problemo

11 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Think it’s pretty clear we wanted Cammy Smith then! IMO, the only lesson here is to look after ourselves first and foremost, players own interests can always wait a few months or the interested team can put an offer in. 

I do wonder who the back up option now is, I don’t think Kelly will be an option. Hopefully someone at a decent standard becomes available soon...

I am led to believe that we did not even get a chance to talk to him , was told he spoke to Thistle before announcing he was coming home , he has a property in Glasgow , club on your doorstep with more than likely a good salary not many players turn down that , as someone said there is practically no loyalty in football anymore which is just the way life is now a days 

Edited by Finlay21

I am led to believe that we did not even get a chance to talk to him , was told he spoke to Thistle before announcing he was coming home , he has a property in Glasgow , club on your doorstep with more than likely a good salary not many players turn down that , as someone said there is practically no loyalty in football anymore 
I'm not one for booing former players but he deserves every one he gets!

46 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

FWIW, If the season was to start tomorrow with the squads as they are I think we would stay up however if we are serious about having a successful season then we simply need 3 or 4 starters and they all need to be a success 

I agree with this. I was/am sceptical of the Hopkin appointment but I enjoyed watching Ayr on Tues (not so much v Edin C). Lots of endeavour with precious little guile but a plan. Teams have stayed up with less. Interesting season ahead!

28 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Is that someone involved with the club?