The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

46 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Been linked with Liam Smith in the AP. McCall doesn’t exactly dismiss it it in his quote either. It’s already been mentioned but that would be a tremendous piece of business. 

Would be a great loan but wouldn't that force Geggan onto the bench and he's doing a decent job at the moment

28 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

What's the cost of relegation? 

Home fans in Champ - 1800 (maybe optimistic)

Away fans in Champ - 500 (average)

Total = 2,300 

Home fans in League 1 - 1500

Away fans in League 1 - 2 men & their dog

Total = 1502

In my scenario, a loss of 800 fans. Give or take £15 a skull (the price would drop as well in L1) that's a cost of £216k to the club.

Retaining Shankland doesn't guarantee survival but it makes the job easier. Why risk it for £250k? It makes no sense! 

Agree with the jist of your post, if we sell Shankland and the worst case scenario happens, we will lose a lot of money year on year, what would be the point in turning up if we're never giving it a birl, I've not got lots of opportunities left to watch us properly competing at this level or higher.

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

There were a whole host of English scouts watching McDaid and I seem to remember someone on here that spoke to one at the Airdrie game towards the end of the season. He seemed to think that McDaid was by far our best player but wasn’t being used properly and Shankland wouldn’t be able to score in the league above.

Yeah - guy was scouting for Preston.   Thought that Shankland owed a lot to the players around him, Guess he didn't see him often enough.  Also thought McDaid was better on the right than the left.

Would be a great loan but wouldn't that force Geggan onto the bench and he's doing a decent job at the moment

Geggan won’t play a lot of games this season simply because of injury and I’m not as confident that Ferguson is the answer as I was a month ago.

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Been linked with Liam Smith in the AP. McCall doesn’t exactly dismiss it it in his quote either. It’s already been mentioned but that would be a tremendous piece of business. 

Yes, all the Saints fans I know have been raving about him and reckoned he was the best RB in the Championship last season.

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Geggan won’t play a lot of games this season simply because of injury and I’m not as confident that Ferguson is the answer as I was a month ago.

I agree come to think of it, Liam Smith would be a great first choice in that case if Geggan is seconded

Yeah - guy was scouting for Preston.   Thought that Shankland owed a lot to the players around him, Guess he didn't see him often enough.  Also thought McDaid was better on the right than the left.
I saw him at the alloa game (the one we've all tried to wipe from our memory). He had his wee notepad with the fixture, date, Preston n.e., and mcdaid's name.

That performance probably scared Preston away, so it all worked out in the end.

I saw him at the alloa game (the one we've all tried to wipe from our memory). He had his wee notepad with the fixture, date, Preston n.e., and mcdaid's name.

That performance probably scared Preston away, so it all worked out in the end.

I remember sitting in front of a scout that had come up from Southampton to watch McDaid in one of his first games vs Dumbarton. Said a lot of clubs have been keeping tabs on his for years.

Of course McDaid got injured after about 15 minutes by Gregor Buchanan and was taken so it was a waste of time.

I remember sitting in front of a scout that had come up from Southampton to watch McDaid in one of his first games vs Dumbarton. Said a lot of clubs have been keeping tabs on his for years.

Of course McDaid got injured after about 15 minutes by Gregor Buchanan and was taken so it was a waste of time.
McDaid could be a top top player it's all about consistency with him, some of the goals he scored coming inside and smashing it into the top corner were top class

Once McDaid adds heading and tackling to his game he could be very good. Always thought he  seemed a bit precious at times, most notably at one of the Stranraer home games at home. Also needs to change that blonde thing on top of his head, it's an abomination.

1 hour ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Reckon Preston might of been the club that made a bid for Shankland 

1 hour ago, edinburghhonestman said:

The guy ‘scouting’ for Preston, if it’s the same one that was at the Airdrie game,  then it’s the same one that tipped Mickey Donald to be ‘a player’ and go on and do big things down south lol. 

Just now, Waniche said:

The guy ‘scouting’ for Preston, if it’s the same one that was at the Airdrie game,  then it’s the same one that tipped Mickey Donald to be ‘a player’ and go on and do big things down south lol. 

That Ally Morrison gets about doesn’t he? 

Once McDaid adds heading and tackling to his game he could be very good. Always thought he  seemed a bit precious at times, most notably at one of the Stranraer home games at home. Also needs to change that blonde thing on top of his head, it's an abomination.

I don’t think he’s that bad defensively. He doesn’t put in big tackles but he certainly gets back and helps his full back out. I was sitting in the stand on Saturday and you could hear McCall shouting from the directors box at McDaid to close the full back down.

I think his decision making could be better and he’s capable of putting brilliant crosses into the box at times but would rather look for an easy pass.