The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

But would macalister not play the right wingback role? 

Dumbarton fans said he was rapid but didn’t really have any sort of final ball so he’d probably be better suited to playing CB or even CM.

11 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

But would macalister not play the right wingback role? 

ETA. It might be that he wants two first team players for both positions to get the best out of each player! He might loan Finn out

I remember the Morton fans moaning because Hopkin had signed about 14 wingers so rather strange we don't have any !!

21 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I’d say we don’t need him. I’m sure he’s good but I’d rather keep reading at lb and bring Finn ecrepont on when required 

Ecrepont didn’t make much of an impact at Albion Robvers I don’t think. Probably needing another loan. Possibly to one of our partner clubs? 

23 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Seems yer getting James Maxwell onoan from Gers really good young LB.. Disapointed he not coming back to Queens.... 

I'd be surprised / disappointed if we're signing another left back / wing back to be honest. Our budget needs spent elsewhere on the pitch as things stand. 

Unless it means that McAllister's out for longer than we'd hoped and Reading is swapping sides.

Or alternatively it could be another chapter of the lopsided squad book that Hopkin and Timmins have made their own (allegedly). 😉

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I remember the Morton fans moaning because Hopkin had signed about 14 wingers so rather strange we don't have any !!

But if we're playing 352 we don't really need wingers in the squad, your wingbacks give you width. Having natural wingers in there would just get in the way out wide and also leave you light in the middle of the park. 

It also makes it easier to get players in and around a focal point like Adeloye. 

22 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Dumbarton fans said he was rapid but didn’t really have any sort of final ball so he’d probably be better suited to playing CB or even CM.

Emergency Striker.

4 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I'd be surprised / disappointed if we're signing another left back / wing back to be honest. Our budget needs spent elsewhere on the pitch as things stand. 

Unless it means that McAllister's out for longer than we'd hoped and Reading is swapping sides.

Or alternatively it could be another chapter of the lopsided squad book that Hopkin and Timmins have made their own (allegedly). 😉

I'd have to agree with this, there's no doubt that Maxwell is regarded as a good player at this level, however we simply don't need him as we have ample cover at LB as slow Joe can also play there if need be. I can only assume that if we do get him that Hopkin maybe wants to play Reading at LM as he does for the U21's ??

On the other hand we do urgently require at least 1 striker, at least 1 winger and at least 2 midfielders with a forward thinking / creative guy a must.

I'm hoping against hope that we manage to get Mancini from Burnley, however his pedigree is making me think that it's a huge long shot / forlorn hope, the big striker would also be a great acquisition and of course managing to bring Kelly back to the club would also be amazing / highly unlikely. I must admit, I also like the idea of getting Robert if he signs for Burnley as he's the ball playing, exciting wild card that we've not had for a few years and could really be capable of anything.

Oh well, the next week should be interesting and at least the squad is starting to take shape.

Best left back I've seen at Ayr, imo is Paul lovering. That's how far back I can go really as I'm sure there are better 😅

Hopefully Maxwell comes in and does a job if he is indeed inbound. 

The worst player I've seen though was on loan from Hearts, had an Italian name and I'm certain he was Australian 🤔 Can anyone remember his name? 

1 minute ago, Roxanne's man said:

Best left back I've seen at Ayr, imo is Paul lovering. That's how far back I can go really as I'm sure there are better 😅

The worst player I've seen though was on loan from Hearts, had an Italian name and I'm certain he was Australian 🤔 Can anyone remember his name? 

Rocky Visconte? 

id say that harvie was decent too

Edited by ryanayr1987

1 minute ago, Roxanne's man said:

Gary Agnew for me.

3 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Visconte was awful. 

Don't think he played enough to form a judgement. Seem to recall him getting injured.

He was pretty damned good in his debut match v Dunfermline

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Gary Agnew for me.

And me. Injury destroyed a very promising career

Two previous occasions where I have complained about unnecessary signings were Reid and Mark Roberts, at the time Moffat was flying and I didn’t see the point in signing some ageing  Killie w**k to disrupt the team.

the other was Mark Kerr, we were playing good football and it looked like an old pals act signing a has been who had been freed by a terrible Falkirk team. 

Signing another left back is odd, unless he knows Reading could be off. I noticed in the Edinburgh City game, we played a flat 5 for the majority of the game, occasionally in the second half, Hopkin told Reading to move up in to the acres of space in front of him. Most of the chances we created came from out wide so I’m not sure why the full backs weren’t pushing forward.

playing a full back as opposed to a wing back with Reading in front wouldn’t be a bad idea assuming we had that option on the right, which we don’t. 

1 minute ago, I'm Brian said:

Don't think he played enough to form a judgement. Seem to recall him getting injured.

He was pretty damned good in his debut match v Dunfermline

And me. Injury destroyed a very promising career

Do you or anyone else remember the Swedish International full back that we had ?

I think his name was Nicholas Nyland and he only played a couple of games, however I'd go as far to say that he was the best RB I'd ever seen, except for maybe Jackie McNamara when he was at Dunfermline.

Just a pity we couldn't have held on to him but if i remember right it was the dodgy Stainrod revolving door season where we went through over 50 players. I hardly missed a match all season either home or away but still didn't know most of our own players from week to week, interesting times right enough !!!

6 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Two previous occasions where I have complained about unnecessary signings were Reid and Mark Roberts, at the time Moffat was flying and I didn’t see the point in signing some ageing  Killie w**k to disrupt the team.

??

Roberts had been at the club for two years before Moffat signed. Do you mean Kevin Kyle?

Edited by Thumper

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I just found my guy, my spelling was a bit out, however he had 8 caps for Sweden and played in Italia 90 plus Captained Malmo so not a bad CV for little old Ayr (I'm too young to remember Stevie Nicol playing with us).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niclas_Nyhlén

Back in the days Ayr could get players like that 😅 I'm unfortunately too young to remember. 

Don't really have many foreign players I can remember 😅 Ludo Roy, Castilla, Horace, D'jaffo, Varielle.... 

I Could include the new centre back I guess. Fjortoft.