D'Jaffo

The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Back room team is looking pretty sizeable now with Hopkin, Timmins, Duffy, Joyce and Stillie although if we’re planning on putting a proper infrastructure in place this is perhaps what’s needed.

I think that’s a great appointment. A very strong looking coaching team and night and day from last season.

The recruitment still terrifies me slightly of course.

Actually quite pleased about that tbf. Never thought I'd say that of bringing Duffy in. It's good to have a proper staff of coaches. We've been running thin on the ground there for too long!

Edited by Trogdor

Not against it just see Duffy more as a manager than a coach, but if this gives Hopkin the chance to do the arm round a shoulder thing and players run through a brick wall for him, whilst others do the hard work on the training field a bit like it was with McCall I'm all for it.

11 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Hahahaha never going to happen 😂

Reveal hidden contents

I am hoping I eat my words here

I saw what he did with Ryan McGeever and Morgyn Neill. The guy is a genius when it comes to working with defenders. If anybody can get McGinty working then it's Duffy.

Just now, Roxanne's man said:

Duffy could surely recommend a few signings? 

Don't count on it, that is his main failing as a manager.  No doubt he can make a team hard to beat though.

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I saw what he did with Ryan McGeever and Morgyn Neill. The guy is a genius when it comes to working with defenders. If anybody can get McGinty working then it's Duffy.

He was a bloody good one himself back in the day, the fact he's now 62 makes me feel rather old sadly.

2 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Was thinking the same. He turnt Lamie into a top 6 centre back from a League Two full back. He might, just might, turn McGinty into a footballer of some description. 

What are the chances of us signing Andy Ritchie for commentary? 

Gerry to replace Calum as head of AU Media and VT has just been in putting his name down for an Ayr season ticket.

Happy with that, was that our Thursday ‘imminent’ or is there more to come?

5 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

image.thumb.png.bf1306978336dbd248c76668bf4720be.png

Sad to see him go. Hope he does well down the coast

Just now, AsimButtHitsASix said:

image.thumb.png.bf1306978336dbd248c76668bf4720be.png

Sad to see him go. Hope he does well down the coast

Big hands, should do well in goals. See he's already got his own gloves. 

Happy with the Duffy appointment great experience at all levels, could be a master stroke by Smith and spreads the net wider for players from lower leagues. Don’t know anything about the guy Joyce so time will tell how useful he will be , surely be helpful that he was a community coach with Gers so links to some youngsters.

54 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Hoppyball meets Duffball.

Y’all ain’t ready for this.

That was my immediate thought. My eyes started bleeding at the thought of it. Thoughts are with you lads. 

52 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Good experience and knowledge, good person to have about the place with good ideas, maybe good he’s not manager…..

Probably had enough of being a manager and it’ll be an easy gig, good contacts and can maybe focus on other parts of what we need like looking at opposition or scouting. 
A good appointment in my opinion 

Sorry but I can't let this absolute myth that Duffy has good contacts within the game continue. The guy is clearly well liked but we saw absolutely no evidence of any of his contacts at Dumbarton. We were apparently operating a shoe string budget last season, which would be the perfect time for someone of Duffy's standing to call in a few favours, but we signed some of the worst shite you're ever likely to see wearing a Sons shirt. His contacts seem to stretch as far as Greenock and basically consists of signing up whoever Morton punt that summer. When we were crying out for a striker last year he couldn't even convince his own relative (Gary Oliver) to dig us out and instead begged Peterhead to have Layne back, who played 3 minutes of football and got injured. It was clear his player searching/scouting was lazy and rushed. 

Players always say great things about him so he must be good to work with but I wouldn't be expecting scores hidden gems to be unearthed, nor would I expect a loan player of any quality to arrive due to his contacts. If he's just there to coach it's a good appointment. 

Does anyone know when Burnley u23's are coming up ?

I'll be honest, I'm expecting this link up to bear fruit and I'm also expecting the couple of players we get to be a cut above, it may not work out of course but on the other hand it could surpass all our expectations.

20 minutes ago, bazka6 said:

Happy with that, was that our Thursday ‘imminent’ or is there more to come?

Not the announcement planned , that’s still being worked on , should be happening in near future ( not today )