The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

54 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Hoppyball meets Duffball.

Y’all ain’t ready for this.

That was my immediate thought. My eyes started bleeding at the thought of it. Thoughts are with you lads. 

52 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Good experience and knowledge, good person to have about the place with good ideas, maybe good he’s not manager…..

Probably had enough of being a manager and it’ll be an easy gig, good contacts and can maybe focus on other parts of what we need like looking at opposition or scouting. 
A good appointment in my opinion 

Sorry but I can't let this absolute myth that Duffy has good contacts within the game continue. The guy is clearly well liked but we saw absolutely no evidence of any of his contacts at Dumbarton. We were apparently operating a shoe string budget last season, which would be the perfect time for someone of Duffy's standing to call in a few favours, but we signed some of the worst shite you're ever likely to see wearing a Sons shirt. His contacts seem to stretch as far as Greenock and basically consists of signing up whoever Morton punt that summer. When we were crying out for a striker last year he couldn't even convince his own relative (Gary Oliver) to dig us out and instead begged Peterhead to have Layne back, who played 3 minutes of football and got injured. It was clear his player searching/scouting was lazy and rushed. 

Players always say great things about him so he must be good to work with but I wouldn't be expecting scores hidden gems to be unearthed, nor would I expect a loan player of any quality to arrive due to his contacts. If he's just there to coach it's a good appointment. 

Does anyone know when Burnley u23's are coming up ?

I'll be honest, I'm expecting this link up to bear fruit and I'm also expecting the couple of players we get to be a cut above, it may not work out of course but on the other hand it could surpass all our expectations.

20 minutes ago, bazka6 said:

Happy with that, was that our Thursday ‘imminent’ or is there more to come?

Not the announcement planned , that’s still being worked on , should be happening in near future ( not today ) 

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

That was my immediate thought. My eyes started bleeding at the thought of it. Thoughts are with you lads. 

Sorry but I can't let this absolute myth that Duffy has good contacts within the game continue. The guy is clearly well liked but we saw absolutely no evidence of any of his contacts at Dumbarton. We were apparently operating a shoe string budget last season, which would be the perfect time for someone of Duffy's standing to call in a few favours, but we signed some of the worst shite you're ever likely to see wearing a Sons shirt. His contacts seem to stretch as far as Greenock and basically consists of signing up whoever Morton punt that summer. When we were crying out for a striker last year he couldn't even convince his own relative (Gary Oliver) to dig us out and instead begged Peterhead to have Layne back, who played 3 minutes of football and got injured. It was clear his player searching/scouting was lazy and rushed. 

Players always say great things about him so he must be good to work with but I wouldn't be expecting scores hidden gems to be unearthed, nor would I expect a loan player of any quality to arrive due to his contacts. If he's just there to coach it's a good appointment. 

Football is completely insular, part of our problem last year was signing quality players that just couldn’t be arsed. this is a slight problem when you sign one, more of a problem when you sign half a dozen.

A call to someone that has worked with them for a bit of background can go a long way. McCall had it with McInnes at Aberdeen, where we were able to pick up players that were hungry to succeed in the game but had to take a step back to move forward. Kerr had it with McCardle and the youth set-up identifying Reading. 

it’s not just about having contacts to get loans in,  you can scout a player all you want but they might be a lazy Arsehole and you won’t find out until the ink is dry on the contract 

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

Football is completely insular, part of our problem last year was signing quality players that just couldn’t be arsed. this is a slight problem when you sign one, more of a problem when you sign half a dozen.

A call to someone that has worked with them for a bit of background can go a long way. McCall had it with McInnes at Aberdeen, where we were able to pick up players that were hungry to succeed in the game but had to take a step back to move forward. Kerr had it with McCardle and the youth set-up identifying Reading. 

it’s not just about having contacts to get loans in,  you can scout a player all you want but they might be a lazy Arsehole and you won’t find out until the ink is dry on the contract 

A fair point but the amount of shite we've signed in his time with us would suggest he doesn't bother his arse to get background on some players or he does and the guy advising him has a dog for seeing things. I just don't think Duffy is a good judge of player, nor is he a good negotiator, but I doubt he'll be doing that with you. Keep him coaching players on the field and it will work out fine. 

I doubt Duffy will be signing players unless he’s just recommending guys he’s worked with before and they did well.

From the sounds of it John Joyce could have a big say in recruitment given his knowledge of the lower leagues.

I think both are good additions. Better than having a PE teacher anyway.

33 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

His contacts seem to stretch as far as Greenock and basically consists of signing up whoever Morton punt that summer.

Ah, exactly what Ayr United have been crying out for.

10 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Anyone "in the know" got any idea if we're playing friendlies before the cup games start? Or are the cup games the friendlies

No we definitely have friendlies. Off the top of my head from what I’ve seen in AP. We have Stranraer away, TNS at Cumnock and Hearts somewhere. 

No we definitely have friendlies. Off the top of my head from what I’ve seen in AP. We have Stranraer away, TNS at Cumnock and Hearts somewhere. 

We play Hearts in Largs I think.

21 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Anyone "in the know" got any idea if we're playing friendlies before the cup games start? Or are the cup games the friendlies

Think the Ayrshire Post mentioned about 3 friendlies 

Good forward planning getting your next manager in early before Hopkin has had full chance to do his worst yet.

Gives Duffy a chance to get to know the car crash of a squad Hopkin will have assembled before having to step in and try to fix it (likely with more Morton cast offs though.)