The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I know the Morton boys did say one of the big reason they signed was due to Hopkin however I do find it really strange that other than Moffat who was never going to be leaving and Hewitt and Ecrepont who are both youngsters the rest have chosen to move. Hopkin’s man management maybe not as good as made out. 

Or, they realise that they are no longer best suited at Ayr and have gone elsewhere.

I would imagine it is a tough gig to convince the same players that they will not be in the same position as last season.

And especially with fans back in - I think it shows you that some didn't actually have the stomach for it in the first place - as was clearly shown by some of the individual complete gutless performances last season

I know the Morton boys did say one of the big reason they signed was due to Hopkin however I do find it really strange that other than Moffat who was never going to be leaving and Hewitt and Ecrepont who are both youngsters the rest have chosen to move. Hopkin’s man management maybe not as good as made out. 

Aye I don’t think many players took to him last season and I still wouldn’t be surprised to see some guys under contract move on. I don’t think I’d write off his man management yet as there were loads of guys at Livi who really enjoyed playing under him but it seems you either love him or hate him. We’ve not lost anybody yet that I’m gutted to see go. I’d have liked Luke to stay but I think he was always likely to leave this summer.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye I don’t think many players took to him last season and I still wouldn’t be surprised to see some guys under contract move on. I don’t think I’d write off his man management yet as there were loads of guys at Livi who really enjoyed playing under him but it seems you either love him or hate him. We’ve not lost anybody yet that I’m gutted to see go. I’d have liked Luke to stay but I think he was always likely to leave this summer.

I agree that I’m not particularly gutted to see any of the players go but the players he’s brought in so far do seem like downgrades. Sean McGinty and Cameron Salkeld ffs. Looking like another relegation fighting season. 

I agree that I’m not particularly gutted to see any of the players go but the players he’s brought in so far do seem like downgrades. Sean McGinty and Cameron Salkeld ffs. Looking like another relegation fighting season. 

Salkeld doesn’t seem to be replying anyone though. We didn’t really have a player like him last season and he’ll likely be competing with Houston for the RWB spot and, I pray to god it doesn’t come to this, being an emergency option up front.

McGinty is shite. That much is obvious but with Roscoe leaving we probably needed a big, left footed defender to come in and play when needed. No doubt he’ll be a starter but we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. Fjortoft looks to be an upgrade on Baird albeit we’ll likely still have him this season and I don’t really know what to expect from McAllister but out of the four he’s probably the one I’m the most optimistic about going by Dumbarton fans views on him.

Sorry to see Walsh go.  Could be up and down, but offered genuine quality in the attacking third, as did McCowan.  Not sure if some of the other posters are just trying to put a brave face on things, but if we keep losing quality and experience and replacing it with dross then there will only be one outcome.  We can only hope that we have 5 or 6 quality championship level players being lined up, but seems a lot to ask budget wise.

2 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Sorry to see Walsh go.  Could be up and down, but offered genuine quality in the attacking third, as did McCowan.  Not sure if some of the other posters are just trying to put a brave face on things, but if we keep losing quality and experience and replacing it with dross then there will only be one outcome.  We can only hope that we have 5 or 6 quality championship level players being lined up, but seems a lot to ask budget wise.

For all the quality he’s meant to have, in the time that he wasn’t injured he contributed very little. I know that could be said for most of the team but I think the apathetic reaction is wholly justified.

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

For all the quality he’s meant to have, in the time that he wasn’t injured he contributed very little. I know that could be said for most of the team but I think the apathetic reaction is wholly justified.

I’d say Moffat, McCowan, Walsh and Cammy Smith all had disappointing seasons.  Are they all bad players or were they just victims of the lack of balance and cutting edge that drove us into a total malaise?  We’ve lost a few players recently such as Crawford, Forrest, Docherty and Bell with the attitude from some being along the same lines that they are no great loss and can be fairly easily replaced, which they of course haven’t been.  Seems to be the same mentality with McCowan and Walsh.  It’s an attitude that’s going to catch up with us eventually.  Maybe I’ll feel better when we make our next 5 or 6 signings, but I’m not confident.

Mccowan leaving a loss, Smith leaving a loss, Walsh leaving a nothing, that said we definitely need quality attacking options, McKenzie and Moffat won't put the fear into the opposition a and we certainly need more than Hopkin is suggesting in the AP ,surely he realises that a and is playing it coy ......isn't he ?

When are going to see some signed attacking 

we have bright in 2 new centre Half’s who potentially are not better than what we have?

Baird did not have a great season but I would think Muirhead is potentially the first choice centre back

what Will the midfield be ? 
what strikers and goalkeeper option do we have

Opinions please

42 minutes ago, HMIP said:

The IDEA of Walsh was certainly very good, however the bloke filling his jersey last season contributed virtually nothing and based on the evidence provided will be no loss whatsoever.

McCowan from two seasons back was excellent but last seasons version had regressed and his undoubted quality was only seen in very brief flashes.

I've said it before, but the fact that Muirhead was our standout performer speaks volumes for me.

When are going to see some signed attacking 
we have bright in 2 new centre Half’s who potentially are not better than what we have?
Baird did not have a great season but I would think Muirhead is potentially the first choice centre back
what Will the midfield be ? 
what strikers and goalkeeper option do we have
Opinions please
We will sign some jobber no one has heard of for our number 1 goalkeeper from tadcaster or some p*sh like that

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The IDEA of Walsh was certainly very good, however the bloke filling his jersey last season contributed virtually nothing and based on the evidence provided will be no loss whatsoever.

McCowan from two seasons back was excellent but last seasons version had regressed and his undoubted quality was only seen in very brief flashes.

I've said it before, but the fact that Muirhead was our standout performer speaks volumes for me.

I guess it’s a question of how many problems we can fix in one transfer window.  The main problems with last seasons team were a lack of a solid, experienced centre back, a lack of quality, pace and work rate in the middle of the park and the lack of, well, a recognisable forward line.  We’ve thus far done nothing to address any of these problems while at the same time we face new problems with the departure of Moore, McCowan and Walsh, 3 players the manager wanted to retain.

18 minutes ago, HMIP said:

I guess it’s a question of how many problems we can fix in one transfer window.  The main problems with last seasons team were a lack of a solid, experienced centre back, a lack of quality, pace and work rate in the middle of the park and the lack of, well, a recognisable forward line.  We’ve thus far done nothing to address any of these problems while at the same time we face new problems with the departure of Moore, McCowan and Walsh, 3 players the manager wanted to retain.

Can't disagree with that, however with the players who've now left we will most likely have a budget to bring in like for like on perceived quality of guys like Walsh, Smith, McCowan, Moore, Todd, plus a couple of young highly rated loanees from Burnley plus maybe another 1 or 2 loans from the old firm / Aberdeen etc ??

We're actually ahead of many and no side ever has their team together this early due to holidays etc.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

^This. Muirhead didn't suddenly turn into a standout from a squad player. The rest of the squad was so abject that he became a standout. 

Edited by Trogdor