D'Jaffo

The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

49 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

A back 5 doesn’t have to mean no wingers or attacking mids. Could easily be a 5-2-3 or 5-2-1-2.

Sorry if you play with wingbacks you don't play wingers too. The wingbacks would be trying to occupy the same blade of grass as the wingers. 

Attacking mids maybe behind a big guy up top. However, that asks a lot of the two who are sitting in the midfield. We'd need to strengthen in there for that to be an option imo.

Just now, Trogdor said:

Sorry if you play with wingbacks you don't play wingers too. The wingbacks would be trying to occupy the same blade of grass as the wingers. 

Attacking mids maybe behind a big guy up top. However, that asks a lot of the two who are sitting in the midfield. We'd need to strengthen in there for that to be an option imo.

Plenty of teams play a 3-4-3 or some sort of variant. It just means that the “wingers” will cut in more instead of hugging the touch line.

Or if you want to go really continental you have underlapping wingbacks. I don’t think Hoppyball stretches that far right enough.

Not fussed if Walsh goes - not fussed if he stays.

Would need to see at least a 50% improvement from last season if he stays

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Plenty of teams play a 3-4-3 or some sort of variant. It just means that the “wingers” will cut in more instead of hugging the touch line.

Or if you want to go really continental you have underlapping wingbacks. I don’t think Hoppyball stretches that far right enough.

I know what you mean now. I wouldn't call them wingers though. I have a traditional view of wingers that they should hug the touchline. 

Underlapping wingbacks. Even the thought of that hurts my head. 

33 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Going by the 2 games I've seen him in this season, McGinty is fucking waaaaaash. He may have been decent in the other 30 odd games Morton played of course.

Of the six goals we conceded against you, I'd say four were directly his fault.

He wasn't decent against anyone, but you could argue his worst performances of the season were against ICT.

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Hoppy already did the 'hold my 'beer' on that one for us plenty of times - call it a 5-4-1 or 5-2-3, it was wingers with a back 5. There was nothing much conventional in the way he set up our teams. There were some downright odd approaches in the first season - we sometimes played with a diamond in midfield, but instead of a front two we'd have a winger, so it was like 4-5-1 with no-one on one side of the midfield. 

There's no saying 'you don't' when it comes to Hoppy and formations. 

I'm waiting for the sweeper to come back into fashion.

Right then lads... Luke McCowan. I'm well aware he's a talented player, but what's his playstyle like and how is he best utilised?

Can confidently say he’ll struggle to get in your team and play in the premier league, nowhere near ready for that jump.

22 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Right then lads... Luke McCowan. I'm well aware he's a talented player, but what's his playstyle like and how is he best utilised?

His biggest problem is that he's all left footed, however he's extremely skillful, isn't short of pace and can dribble past two or three players at ease when at his best. His workrate and movement can also be excellent and he's still developing.

In the right setup he could be anything.

On a negative note he takes things very seriously and can lose the plot / drop the head at times but I'd say he's definitely worth taking a punt on.

Personally think he’s a yard of pace off being a Premier League player. He’s best out wide and think he’ll get bullied. 

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

His biggest problem is that he's all left footed, however he's extremely skillful, isn't short of pace and can dribble past two or three players at ease when at his best. His workrate and movement can also be excellent and he's still developing.

In the right setup he could be anything.

On a negative note he takes things very seriously and can lose the plot / drop the head at times but I'd say he's definitely worth taking a punt on.

This..... Additionally at Ayr we always played him on the right ,I always felt that he'd make a cracking no 10 . Given little time he'll act instinctively and can put them away . On the wing he tended to get too much time and with no right peg he was always checking inside . High tempo team will suit him .

Season tickets announced as going on sale this week, assuming that won't be the Thursday announcement then?  Season Tickets

25 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Season tickets announced as going on sale this week, assuming that won't be the Thursday announcement then?  Season Tickets

What Thursday announcement is this?

26 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

I’m in 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

11 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Pleasing to see that the ticket prices are down to £18 again.

were they not always?

3 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Dundee have just confirmed McCowan good luck to the boy.

Would have been a big loss if playing with Forrest, Moff, Doc, Kelly, Moore etc, however last years performances confirmed that he'd be pretty ineffective / wasted playing in a workmanlike side to which we've now become.

Good luck at Dundee and hope he fulfills his undoubted promise.