The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

Not sure but Cochrane can

I could be well wide of the mark here but has Cochrane just failed to fulfil any of his early potential at every opportunity he's been given? 

I get it that there could be perfectly valid reasons for this away from the game but without any knowledge of this or what he's like as an individual his career just hasn't taken off as you thought it might by now. 

I think it's telling that Luke McCowan, arguably our biggest asset, has left and no-one has commented about the fact that Ayr receive no fee. We've become so used to our best players going for free that we have accepted it as the norm.

A Morton fan mentioned earlier that one of Hopkin's policies is to try and acquire young players with potential so that if they do leave in future the club gets compensation. For clubs like Ayr this has to be the best way to get ahead. On a much larger scale it's how Ajax have been operating for decades.

I think it's telling that Luke McCowan, arguably our biggest asset, has left and no-one has commented about the fact that Ayr receive no fee. We've become so used to our best players going for free that we have accepted it as the norm.
A Morton fan mentioned earlier that one of Hopkin's policies is to try and acquire young players with potential so that if they do leave in future the club gets compensation. For clubs like Ayr this has to be the best way to get ahead. On a much larger scale it's how Ajax have been operating for decades.

If it’s any consolation we got 50k for Kamara, zip for Bain and next to f**k all for Hemmings.

Hope you guys destroy Killie next season.

3 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Going by the Ayrshire post it doesn’t sound like anything is imminent and Hopkin has said it’s time for patience. Dave Timmins has been down south the past 3 weekends running the rule over potential goalkeepers. 

As well as a Striker and Goalkeeper he’s wanting a couple of utility players who can play a number of positions. 

Has to be National League goalkeepers then. I'll guess Ryan Boot and Sam Johnson would be two he'd have an eye on. Although based on Ramsbottom it's more likely to be Theo Richardson.

34 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Has to be National League goalkeepers then. I'll guess Ryan Boot and Sam Johnson would be two he'd have an eye on. Although based on Ramsbottom it's more likely to be Theo Richardson.

I have to say - id much rather we were going for a youngster on loan again.  Is someone 'experienced' from down South and prepared to up sticks and move up here on a permanent level on the wages we pay realistically going to be even close to the ability of Doohan or Sinisalo? I have serious doubts.   

4 hours ago, Rugbypark said:

Over a thousand season tickets sold in 24 hours by Killie. Is that more than your usual overall total? We are SO much bigger....

Can you spot any season ticket holders in this picture? 😂

IMG_20210531_220500.jpg

Edited by Roxanne's man

1 hour ago, Hursty said:

I have to say - id much rather we were going for a youngster on loan again.  Is someone 'experienced' from down South and prepared to up sticks and move up here on a permanent level on the wages we pay realistically going to be even close to the ability of Doohan or Sinisalo? I have serious doubts.   

Sam Johnson would be a tremendous signing at this level tbf. Highly unlikely we would pay anywhere what he would command.

Sam Johnson would be a tremendous signing at this level tbf. Highly unlikely we would pay anywhere what he would command.

I’ve genuinely never heard of him. Is that just ignorance on my part?

1 hour ago, Hazbart said:

Can only dream of getting a goalkeeper from *checks notes* FC Halifax. 

If we’re honest with ourselves we’re only ‘bigger’ than the FC Halifaxes by virtue of being an equally small fish in a massively smaller pond. Given we’ve just signed an ex Gateshead player I wouldn’t be too upset.

6 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

Can you spot any season ticket holders in this picture? 😂

IMG_20210531_220500.jpg

Don't know about season ticket holders, but I can see the MP for Kilmarnock and Loudoun in the picture.

6 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’ve genuinely never heard of him. Is that just ignorance on my part?

I was taking about this Sam Johnston....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9633995/Relegated-West-Brom-want-20m-goalkeeper-Sam-Johnstone-Baggies-play-look-play-hardball.html

Clearly I found the joke funnier than it actually was 🤣🤣 

I have no idea who the real Sam Johnston is....

Edited by Hazbart

1 hour ago, Hazbart said:

I was taking about this Sam Johnston....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9633995/Relegated-West-Brom-want-20m-goalkeeper-Sam-Johnstone-Baggies-play-look-play-hardball.html

Clearly I found the joke funnier than it actually was 🤣🤣 

I have no idea who the real Sam Johnston is....

The different spelling of the name probably let your joke down a bit, and was why nobody knew what you were on about tbh.

10 hours ago, Young Eddie said:

"we" here refers to literally the entirety of European football post-Bosman. And to be quite honest, Ayr haven't yet even consolidated their position as a Championship team after spending most of the last two decades either stuck in the third tier or yo-yoing between the two. Right now I'm not looking beyond another relegation fight this season. This is not the sort of time when the club is in a position to be offering extended contracts to players and players don't take them at this level unless the terms are extremely generous anyway.

10 hours ago, Young Eddie said:

Raising academy players (which is what the Ajax model is about, and there's no fundamental difference between Ajax's academy and Ayr's) is quite different from just signing someone on a two-year contract and expecting a pay-off from it. If this is Hopkin's model then god help everyone.

Would be nice to get close to the manky mob in terms of season ticket sales.

Hopefully they will be announced today for sale.

So many tasty games this coming season.

Will certainly be my first one for a few seasons as opposed to just paying at the gate.

10 minutes ago, Thumper said:

"we" here refers to literally the entirety of European football post-Bosman. And to be quite honest, Ayr haven't yet even consolidated their position as a Championship team after spending most of the last two decades either stuck in the third tier or yo-yoing between the two. Right now I'm not looking beyond another relegation fight this season. This is not the sort of time when the club is in a position to be offering extended contracts to players and players don't take them at this level unless the terms are extremely generous anyway.

Raising academy players (which is what the Ajax model is about, and there's no fundamental difference between Ajax's academy and Ayr's) is quite different from just signing someone on a two-year contract and expecting a pay-off from it. If this is Hopkin's model then god help everyone.

Wasn’t McCowan on a 3 year contract?  The problem as far as I can see is that McCall didn’t blend him into the first team at a young enough age despite his obvious ability, so by the time we did and his potential became obvious, he was too far into his contract and was never going to renew.  If we believe enough in a young player to hand them a multi year contract, we have to commit to giving them a chance otherwise we’ll keep getting stung like this.  

McCowan is now 23 and yet we really only got 2 full seasons out him.  Compare that to the endless opportunities given to McGuffie.  Maybe McCowan was a late developer, but on the face of it, it’s our own failure to develop his talent that has bitten us here.