The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

11 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Cant believe how many fans we have who continually slate  practically every signing we have made over the years , even before they have kicked a ball , 

I don't think people are slating every single signing, just one of the four has been viewed as a dud so far. It also gives a worrying insight as to the types of player we may see appearing soon, from a manager who's last gig didn't go so well. We are also signing players from a team who finished below us in a relegation playoff battle, when we were told Hopkin was looking for leaders and winners. As I said in a earlier post I'm feeling meh / or alright about 3 out of 4. I've seen McGinty in the flesh as well as on streams and nothing I've seen to date suggests he will be anything other than a flop. It is up to the player to prove us wrong. If the rest of the signings are a similar or higher level to Fjortoft I'll be on board. 

As Buky is saying it is all a bit underwhelming so far, but that could change. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

2 out of 3 are good signings as I believe McAllister will be a good find. McGinty will be up against it with our fans until he does something to change our minds.

He'll be getting a clean slate and treated the same as everyone else by me, I've been watching Ayr too long to know that you can't make preconceived judgements on anyone without ending up looking like a fool.

Remember when Mark Duthie was going to be a great signing....................

9 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I think people are allowed to voice their concerns whilst at the same time still hoping to be proven wrong. 

Nobody knows for definite whether they'll be successful or not but we're allowed to voice our doubts when they come from a team who, if the league table was to be believed, were actually worse than us. Let that sink in when you actually consider how bad we were. 

Its a fans right. The signings so far cannot be seen to be absolute scoops that leave the rest of the league wondering why they couldn't have signed them first. 

Its underwhelming so far and folk say it as it is. It's allowed. 

Whilst all the while hoping that they somehow gel and take the league by storm. 

Everyone to their own , just that I give the player the benefit of the doubt until I see him play in our team , I have slated a number after seeing them but at least give them a chance 

1 hour ago, AUFC 1910 said:

There was f**k all between the teams in the league last season - It’s at the other end of the park ourselves and Morton were rank rotten - not defensively.

Dundee were shite and all season their fans were calling for the manager to get sacked and they are now playing in the top flight.

Grow a set, f**k what Morton fans say, and get behind McGinty FFS - he’s one of us now.

Some of the shit on here is embarrassing.

Who would want to come and play for us after a glint of what some of our support is like.

If he turns out a dud, either he’ll get punted or hoppy will, but give them a fucking chance - it’s still May FFS!!!!!

100%  THIS.

Those so called "fans" who are writing off our Manager, the players, and his recruitment in general before a ball has even been kicked need to take a long hard look at themselves.

If it all goes to pot you can give it the old "I told you so", however some of the nonsense I'm reading here is quite frankly embarrassing.

2 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

I get that manager's will go for players that have been over the course in the past but to sign 3 of last seasons Morton team and for not one of them to be McAdams, Strapp or Jacobs worries me greatly. 

You're a good judge...

... unlike Mr Hopkin.

Ayr fans appear to understand this just as well as Morton fans, but signing the weaker players from a team that finished 9th? Fuckin f**k me gif...

McGinty isn't actually the legendarily bad player he's made out to be... but he is bad. Salkeld will eventually find his level in the sixth tier back in England.

I'm hanging fire to see who we sign, of course, but I have to say this pre-season has started rather well.

2 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Everyone to their own , just that I give the player the benefit of the doubt until I see him play in our team , I have slated a number after seeing them but at least give them a chance 

So no opinions allowed in your world until the competitive stuff begins? Unless it's positive of course. I've said throughout my post that I hope I'm proven wrong and stand by that. 

I'm more than willing to give each of the players "a chance" but would like to think I call things as I see them. 

You're a good judge...
... unlike Mr Hopkin.
Ayr fans appear to understand this just as well as Morton fans, but signing the weaker players from a team that finished 9th? Fuckin f**k me gif...
McGinty isn't actually the legendarily bad player he's made out to be... but he is bad. Salkeld will eventually find his level in the sixth tier back in England.
I'm hanging fire to see who we sign, of course, but I have to say this pre-season has started rather well.

Given that Gus rated McGinty enough to offer him a new deal I wouldn’t hold out much hope for a good transfer window.

40 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Cant believe how many fans we have who continually slate  practically every signing we have made over the years , even before they have kicked a ball , 

Haven't seen any posts slating McAllister or Fjortoft yet, can you please point them out to me? 🤔

5 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

So no opinions allowed in your world until the competitive stuff begins? Unless it's positive of course. I've said throughout my post that I hope I'm proven wrong and stand by that. 

I'm more than willing to give each of the players "a chance" but would like to think I call things as I see them. 

Yeah, it’s happy clapper nonsense to say we can’t judge a signing based on the mountains of evidence available to us because they haven’t yet been shite in our club strip. As you say, I’d love it if McGinty proves us wrong and somehow becomes a competent player, but not being allowed to comment on his undoubted shiteness over the entirety of his career thus far is ludicrous chat.

5 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

People can give opinions, just saying some of our fans seem more negative than most on majority of signings and don’t comment when we sign a decent player  , can say what they want that is what forums are about. , 

McCall worked with Kerr, Adams, Bell, Higgins, Boyle, ......he knew they could do a job and what they are like.

Hopkin has worked with these players before and they finished below Ayr in the league, if you concede 20 goals in 36 games but only score 15 then you are still shite, the polishing of Morton’s defensive record ignores the rest of the team and how it performed. 
The signings made in this order have been a fucking shambles, everyone was worried we signed players from a dud Morton team and he makes them the first signings all at once, if they had been staggered it wouldn’t have had the same impact. 
the club has made a complete arse of things for the last few months.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Given that Gus rated McGinty enough to offer him a new deal I wouldn’t hold out much hope for a good transfer window.

As I say, I'll wait to see how we go. Called McGinty getting offers in the Championship last week (you lot were always favourites), even though some people just wanted him hung.

Apart from that, given that Hopkin put together a ridiculous squad last year, full of lightweight wingers and attacking midfielders, then proceeded to play terrible long-ball percentage football that didn't make any sense with the payers he'd signed... and given that he's now decided he can't be without McGinty and Salkeld... well, I wouldn't hold out much hope for a good transfer window.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable for some of us to be concerned about the direction we’re heading whilst, as Buky said, hoping we’re wrong.

It’s subjective but there’s undoubtedly an argument to be made that we’ve been worse under the new manager. He’s won one league game and I think one cup game. He’s also overseen the utter shambles of the Clyde and Arbroath games.

Our style of playing is horrible to watch and is quite clearly not effective and so far his recruitment has been almost exclusively from one of the only two teams to have been below us in the table. 

Again, hopefully wrong, but I’m struggling to see any grounds for optimism.

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Haven't seen any posts slating McAllister or Fjortoft yet, can you please point them out to me? 🤔

Read the comment , I never said every player , look back at comments last couple of close seasons and you get a picture , 

Edited by Finlay21

17 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

We’ve got Walsh, Todd and McCowan and if those 3 leave we will obviously replace them. There’s also going to be room for late loans to come in on top of that should the right player become available.

Morton only have so many players available man!

5 minutes ago, munro7 said:

I don’t think it’s unreasonable for some of us to be concerned about the direction we’re heading whilst, as Buky said, hoping we’re wrong.

It’s subjective but there’s undoubtedly an argument to be made that we’ve been worse under the new manager. He’s won one league game and I think one cup game. He’s also overseen the utter shambles of the Clyde and Arbroath games.

Our style of playing is horrible to watch and is quite clearly not effective and so far his recruitment has been almost exclusively from one of the only two teams to have been below us in the table. 

Again, hopefully wrong, but I’m struggling to see any grounds for optimism.

Was quite clearly not effective... with players Mark Kerr signed to play a different style of play and who clearly didn't want to play for Hopkin. He's just signed three players who have all said they do want to play for him. So that's a cause for optimism.