The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, JohnGAYR said:

He would only be a disaster of a signing if he proved to be a disaster of a player for us. That is still to be seen.

No it isn’t - he is a a horrible football player. It’s basically guaranteed to be awful wherever he goes.

We were flying high in league one and added Mark Kerr, Falkirk fans said his legs were gone and he’d be a waste of a shirt. he was a great player for us and at times was more important to the team balance than Shankland. Moving from a team struggling to a team performing every week allowed Kerr to thrive. 

expecting a player from a struggling team to move to another struggling team and thrive is less likely. 
more so when you take in to account he didn’t thrive under Hopkin before. 

He could do well but there needs to be a lot of quality added. 

I see why fans of other clubs who've seen Salkeld two or three times look at him and think there's a player there, but having watched him more often there isn't. You see his energy, his effort and his physical presence and you think he's just a bit raw, but with some more coaching on the technical side of the game on top of those physical attributes he could become a really good player.

He won't, because no amount of coaching is going to give him even a basic grasp of simple passing, shooting or decision making. When he's so lacking in those basic skills he's never going to turn into a good player.

Jezz give the new signings a chance, our top signing Walsh last season and our SPL defender Baird were massively disappointing, some guys thrive on a step up, not trying to diss Morton but hopefully next season's Ayr are a jump up from last year's Morton, Salkend sounds like a player we've actually been missing, committed,powerful who allows other's to play.......calm doon !!!! 

Oris /McAdams next...

I'd love it to be McGinty but i doubt Hopkin is that stupid..

All the best to Cammy, will give his all, he's just not that good unfortunately and I doubt that will change under Hopkin. Can't fault his attitude although he is a bit of a hot-head, loves a pointless booking. 13 bookings in 47 games, only 25 of those were starts.

28 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Could Salkeld be a player Hopkin signs to help out the 'Long ball up the park' tactic? 

Just with the mention of his lack of technical ability 🙄

Does anyone know the length of contract ?

1 or 2 years ??

2 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

I will wait and judge the players on how they perform in an Ayr strip and not how they performed previously , different culture , different team mates , different style of play , was excited last year with some of the names and how they had performed recently but turned out to be a bag of spanner’s on the pitch , don’t get this part about slating players before seeing how they  fit into our style of play 

Is the problem not that he's been playing in our style of play so we know what he's like, up front anyway. 

Quite a bit of information in AP this week: Expected to announce two new centre half’s at some point this week. Also interested in Nick McAllister.

Luke McCowan and Josh Todd unlikely to sign new deals. 

Michael Moffat has apparently signed a new one year deal. 

6 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Had this horrible thought today that McCowan could be tempted up the A77. Please don't let it be true.

I'm a bit lukewarm about the Salkeld signing if I'm being honest. More than willing to give him his chance though. If his description and that of McAllister are accurate, then we're clearly looking to be getting hardworking, naturally fit and competitive players as a bare minimum

I will wait and judge the players on how they perform in an Ayr strip and not how they performed previously , different culture , different team mates , different style of play , was excited last year with some of the names and how they had performed recently but turned out to be a bag of spanner’s on the pitch , don’t get this part about slating players before seeing how they  fit into our style of play 
This kind of sensible post is all too rare in the off season.

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

I’m concerned that none of the players offered deals have been confirmed, they have had 2 weeks now.

You would imagine these things would be managed somehow rather than just trickled out as they happen.

2 hours ago, JohnGAYR said:

He would only be a disaster of a signing if he proved to be a disaster of a player for us. That is still to be seen.

let's at least set expectations that if a squad which thus far has been strengthened only through the addition of a player who wasn't very good in a team who finished lower in the table is sitting where it currently looks like it will (in the bottom two, miles adrift) any time before Christmas, the manager who put it together can be replaced there and then, thus permitting someone else to fix it before it's too late.

12 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Quite a bit of information in AP this week: Expected to announce two new centre half’s at some point this week. Also interested in Nick McAllister.

2 Centre backs and one of them isn't McAllister?  Maybe we are getting Buchanan AND McGinty haha

Just now, pandarilla said:
2 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

This kind of sensible post is all too rare in the off season.

No, they're actually a dime a dozen whenever a club signs a jobber and the happy-clappers demand that their previous record be discarded. 

36 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Todd is an odd one - I don’t really see him getting a better offer elsewhere.