The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Decent athlete, terrible footballer. Relief that he's left us, and pleased that it's for another club in our league. He wants to be a right mid. He'll run up and down all day long and challenge for everything, but he hasn't shown an ounce of actual ability. 

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Imagine if it’s McGinty and Fjortroft - that would be truly terrifying.

Imo, Fjortoft is a cracking CB who would defo be someone to be excited about. Morton fans will obviously know better, but the big man has been a top player whenever I've watched him.

4 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Imo, Fjortoft is a cracking CB who would defo be someone to be excited about. Morton fans will obviously know better, but the big man has been a top player whenever I've watched him.

Aye, agreed. Has an error in him, but so do most defenders at this level. Capable of looking a cut above when he wants to. 

10 minutes ago, Hursty said:

I'd be pleased with McAllister and happy enough with Fjortoft.

However I'm now working out whether Buchanan or McGinty would be the more terrifying.

McGinty is much, much worse than Gregor Buchanan. I genuinely wouldn’t take him at Maybole Juniors.

He was one of the players I thought would move on. Didn't see him progressing any further ability wise.

Seems a decent lad and will always give you 100% . Strong on the ball but as many have already said technically poor. First touch is abysmal and can't score for toffee

17 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

McGinty is much, much worse than Gregor Buchanan. I genuinely wouldn’t take him at Maybole Juniors.

This. Whilst I wouldn’t want us signing Buchanan, it wouldn’t make me a seething mess, whereas McGinty would. Appalling player.

44 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye he’s been chucked in there a few times but it says he’s a right sided midfielder and I think he played Wing back at times for Morton.

Not really, he'll be one of your headless chicken forwards next season.

Save room for Orsi, Blues and McGinty!

Ironically he might be just what we need, we had "quality" like Walsh, Zanatta, Smith, McCowan and Anderson last season, yet were very lucky to escape relegation.

It's all about balance of course, but someone who "plays for the jersey" is exactly what we missed last year so assuming we retain / recruit some decent technical players then some hard workers such as Salkeld could be just what we're looking for.

(Yes, I know I'm attempting my famous positive spin here but just bear with me).

I will wait and judge the players on how they perform in an Ayr strip and not how they performed previously , different culture , different team mates , different style of play , was excited last year with some of the names and how they had performed recently but turned out to be a bag of spanner’s on the pitch , don’t get this part about slating players before seeing how they  fit into our style of play 

Edited by Finlay21

Obviously Hopkin has seen something in him whilst at Morton, Though I don't think he's the Killie beater we need. Squad player hopefully. Hopkin Better not just raid the morton squad😠 That boy from Dumbarton looked promising 🙄

3 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

I will wait and judge the players on how they perform in an Ayr strip and not how they performed previously , different culture , different team mates , different style of play , was excited last year with some of the names and how they had performed recently but turned out to be a bag of spanner’s on the pitch , don’t get this part about slating players before seeing how they  fit into our style of play 

Agreed. Unless we sign McGinty of course. 

Sounds like he is a bit of a Miller squad filler signing....well I hope so, because if this is the flagship signing news we were hoping for then we should just ask to swap with Alloa and save ourselves a year of heartache.

I’m concerned that none of the players offered deals have been confirmed, they have had 2 weeks now. 
If we are signing the  bulk of a Morton team that finished below us in a terrible season, then I can only see this going one way.  Of the players I would like to have kept, I doubt we will, the next couple of signings better be good. 

43 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Fjortoft was very good on the whole, but he can be a bit unorthodox and that probably contributed to him having a couple of complete disasters. He almost cost is in the Montrose tie after losing all control over his legs and he had such a nightmare in a game against QotS that he had to be subbed before the half hour mark. 

He's one is those guys that's either going to go down as a cult hero or be seen as a liability, depending on how the ratio of calamities/heroics turns out. 

4 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

I will wait and judge the players on how they perform in an Ayr strip and not how they performed previously , different culture , different team mates , different style of play , was excited last year with some of the names and how they had performed recently but turned out to be a bag of spanner’s on the pitch , 

Difficult to not agree with this - players get lumbered with baggage from fans of their ex-team(s). Aero came with a stack of that from Falkirk fans who thought he was a dug meat player and yet he's be fine for us and would have deserved POTY this season without question. Judge players on their performances in an AU jersey - good advice.

5 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

Difficult to not agree with this - players get lumbered with baggage from fans of their ex-team(s). Aero came with a stack of that from Falkirk fans who thought he was a dug meat player and yet he's be fine for us and would have deserved POTY this season without question. Judge players on their performances in an AU jersey - good advice.

While I mostly agree someone like Sean McGinty was hated at Partick Thistle and now hated at Morton. He would be a complete disaster of a signing. 

While I mostly agree someone like Sean McGinty was hated at Partick Thistle and now hated at Morton. He would be a complete disaster of a signing. 

He would only be a disaster of a signing if he proved to be a disaster of a player for us. That is still to be seen.

There needs to be a bit of balance struck when signing new players.

Salkeld is still young and wasn’t horrendous at Morton. He should be given a bit of time to see what he can do.

Sean McGinty isn’t a young player and has been pretty terrible in just about every season he’s played at this level for two clubs. If he signed then I don’t see why we wouldn’t call it out as a terrible signing unless he then went on to prove us wrong.