Jump to content

The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread


Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:


We finished a whole one point ahead of a rancid Raith team and imo would’ve ended up winning the Championship the following season had we been able to bring in the guys McCall had targeted in January to sustain our title push. You can’t underestimate how much the excellent team spirit that McCall has built in that team and also the momentum that they will have after winning the league. A lot does depend on keeping guys like Tiffoney and improving in a couple of areas but I can see them doing just that.

They’ll also have more money than we had in 2019 so you’d imagine if they need players to push on in January, McCall will get who he wants.

EEK !!

Surely a top league 1 to lower end Championship performer at best ??

I honestly don't know where this Patrick / McCall fear / love in comes from, they have the majority of the same squad that got them relegated in the first place and the Thistle fans I've spoken to thought they were mostly horrendous last season with the exception of the final 4 to 5 weeks of the season. I also know that their support is pretty split on McCall with many still wanting him bagged despite their promotion.

They've also just had a financially draining season and weren't exactly rolling in the dosh prior to their relegation so while they may indeed be pretty decent next year, I'm certainly not losing any sleep over them or indeed expecting them to be blowing the division away, especially if Tiffoney is the best they have to offer !!!

Anyway, great to see Killie coming down to join us, it should boost our season ticket sales greatly and get the interest in our side going in the area again and hopefully Mr Smith will be able to provide us with some decent financial backing for our own quality signings.

I must be getting old by the way, 28 years ??? I thought it was only about 14 or 15 since we were last shouting abuse at each other in a league match...............

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Hursty said:

I see the Sun (I know) reporting that Rangers Colts / B team or whatever they are called are looking to use Somerset for their home games next season in the Lowland League as they don't want to ruin the pitch at Ibrox by playing on it every week....

Whilst it wouldn’t be my first choice in money making excercises, if we charge them per game and per season outlay that would cover costs of pitch repairs and then some, then I guess I’d tolerate it. If fans were allowed in and we could keep the gate money then I’d be more accepting of it. In all honesty though I think there is many teams grounds closer to them that they could and should use 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couldn’t believe that Kilmarnock went down last night without a fight. We gave Dundee harder games ffs! Honestly don’t care less about away fans coming to Somerset or us going elsewhere. I’d be happy enough if we get our full capacity of home fans all season 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thistle have players that have been average at Championship level struggle in League one, they were helped by a Falkirk team desperate to Chuck promotion away. 
 

they may well be top 4 next year based on this seasons shitshow but they will need a serious upgrade on the players they have. 
 

Based on budgets, I’d have them maybe 3rd with us around 5th.

Hamilton will look to offload players but normally have well drilled youngsters in the squad, Kilmarnock will be in the same position but it depends on how they rebuild. If they go down the route of mercenaries from league one and two in England then they will fail. 
Dunfermline had what seemed a good signing policy last season but ultimately failed. 
based on the rebuilding jobs required, I’d put Hamilton as favourites, Kilmarnock and Dunfermline in the top 4.

On the ground share, the pitch has been dreadful for a few years, they were only playing on it on league games for the last 2 seasons, both were cut short the reduced games did nothing to improve the surface. 
if we are serious about competing in this league, writing off home games because your pitch is like a ploughed field isn’t going to help. 
unless they completely lay new turf or a hybrid pitch, It would seriously hurt any challenge so could mount 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Couldn’t believe that Kilmarnock went down last night without a fight. We gave Dundee harder games ffs! Honestly don’t care less about away fans coming to Somerset or us going elsewhere. I’d be happy enough if we get our full capacity of home fans all season 

The current situation is that we should move to level zero at the end of June. 
unless the George Square episode causes a spike and they all migrate to the seaside on a sunny day then Ayr should be ok to hold crowds I would expect. If Glasgow is a higher level then the club may need to select the attendees based on location or something like that to prevent travel. 
 

I would be confident, with prevention protocols,  of at least 1000 home fans being allowed in to Somerset in July.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

The current situation is that we should move to level zero at the end of June. 
unless the George Square episode causes a spike and they all migrate to the seaside on a sunny day then Ayr should be ok to hold crowds I would expect. If Glasgow is a higher level then the club may need to select the attendees based on location or something like that to prevent travel. 
 

I would be confident, with prevention protocols,  of at least 1000 home fans being allowed in to Somerset in July.

There should be no reason at all for less than 2000 to be allowed in Somerset next season. Last night there was staggered timings for entry , one way systems, no pie stalls etc. I hope to god by the time the season starts these “measures” are binned. Also hope that clown Jason Leitch ditches his stance on fans having to be in seated areas *

*although I’m fairly certain they weren’t seated at Kelty or Brechin? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Thistle have players that have been average at Championship level struggle in League one, they were helped by a Falkirk team desperate to Chuck promotion away. 
 

they may well be top 4 next year based on this seasons shitshow but they will need a serious upgrade on the players they have. 
 

Based on budgets, I’d have them maybe 3rd with us around 5th.

Hamilton will look to offload players but normally have well drilled youngsters in the squad, Kilmarnock will be in the same position but it depends on how they rebuild. If they go down the route of mercenaries from league one and two in England then they will fail. 
Dunfermline had what seemed a good signing policy last season but ultimately failed. 
based on the rebuilding jobs required, I’d put Hamilton as favourites, Kilmarnock and Dunfermline in the top 4.

On the ground share, the pitch has been dreadful for a few years, they were only playing on it on league games for the last 2 seasons, both were cut short the reduced games did nothing to improve the surface. 
if we are serious about competing in this league, writing off home games because your pitch is like a ploughed field isn’t going to help. 
unless they completely lay new turf or a hybrid pitch, It would seriously hurt any challenge so could mount 

£90 to £100k for a good grass pitch and £450 to £500k for a good pretend pitch isn't cheap but it has to be a major priority as you say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

There should be no reason at all for less than 2000 to be allowed in Somerset next season. Last night there was staggered timings for entry , one way systems, no pie stalls etc. I hope to god by the time the season starts these “measures” are binned. Also hope that clown Jason Leitch ditches his stance on fans having to be in seated areas *

*although I’m fairly certain they weren’t seated at Kelty or Brechin? 

They want people to stay seated and not mix, so I can see why the advice is seating only at the moment. 
But all being well, standing would be allowed and but there would still be some kind of controls, maybe vaccine passports will be a thing by then or a negative test on the morning of the game etc. 
You can see by the footage from English games, even the Morton game, as soon as fans are in the ground almost all protocol goes out the window, folk had masks down and were hugging each other. 
By July, hopefully it won’t be as much of an issue. If all people in the ground are going to have been vaccinated or have a negative test, it will greatly reduce the chance of transmission. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Also hope that clown Jason Leitch ditches his stance on fans having to be in seated areas *

*although I’m fairly certain they weren’t seated at Kelty or Brechin? 

I can't stand that guy. I switch the TV or radio to another channel everytime he comes on. That's actually what I'm looking forward to the most when we get through this is never seeing his sour puss again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

They want people to stay seated and not mix, so I can see why the advice is seating only at the moment. 
But all being well, standing would be allowed and but there would still be some kind of controls, maybe vaccine passports will be a thing by then or a negative test on the morning of the game etc. 
You can see by the footage from English games, even the Morton game, as soon as fans are in the ground almost all protocol goes out the window, folk had masks down and were hugging each other. 
By July, hopefully it won’t be as much of an issue. If all people in the ground are going to have been vaccinated or have a negative test, it will greatly reduce the chance of transmission. 

I wouldn’t be attending games at Somerset if vaccine passports or negative test conformation was needed. I’m sure im on my own with that one, but shit like that doesn’t sit easy with me 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Trogdor said:

I can't stand that guy. I switch the TV or radio to another channel everytime he comes on. That's actually what I'm looking forward to the most when we get through this is never seeing his sour puss again.

He’s a sanctimonious p***k who’s clearly enjoying his year of fame. Got to agree with you about never seeing his face (or whiny voice) again! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The "seating" advice isn't even relevant to the likes of the NT which is completely uncovered and no different from any other outdoor space such as a busy shopping street or a park.

The bottom line is that I shouldn't need to point this out on a football chatboard, that's what the SFA and SPFL should be doing !!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

He’s a sanctimonious p***k who’s clearly enjoying his year of fame. Got to agree with you about never seeing his face (or whiny voice) again! 

What people seem to miss is that Leitch is merely doing his job. His job is public health NOT the economy or hospitality or tourism or sport, so basically it's the guys remit to ensure that we're being as safe as possible under his watch as it were.

I'm not saying I agree with him, far from it, but I do completely understand and appreciate his position.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

What people seem to miss is that Leitch is merely doing his job. His job is public health NOT the economy or hospitality or tourism or sport, so basically it's the guys remit to ensure that we're being as safe as possible under his watch as it were.

I'm not saying I agree with him, far from it, but I do completely understand and appreciate his position.

It's over saturation though. Surely he can delegate some of the media appearances to his deputy or the CMO or their deputy? Its maybe just timing but anytime I watch one of the briefings or the ads come up it's him. Is he not the co-host on Off the Ball now? I've stopped listening to that as well. The sooner he's back in his box the better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

COVID19 thread for this pish but in all seriousness come the middle of July there should be no restrictions on the amount of fans at Somerset Park or any other stadium for that matter. We have several vaccines which have proven to be effective against all the different variants. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

COVID19 thread for this pish 

Hey, that's my line!

I actually get my first vacinne next Monday.

With them accelerating second doses the vast majority of supporters should be fully vacinnated by August. We really should be back to some semblance of normality for the start of the league campaign. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It's over saturation though. Surely he can delegate some of the media appearances to his deputy or the CMO or their deputy? Its maybe just timing but anytime I watch one of the briefings or the ads come up it's him. Is he not the co-host on Off the Ball now? I've stopped listening to that as well. The sooner he's back in his box the better.

Yes, at the beginning he seemed to be well liked and even had a bit of a "cult following", however that's quickly evaporated as time has gone on, especially when much of what he says in unpalatable and the fact he comes across as pretty smarmy and condescending certainly hasn't helped.

The usual out of touch advisers and PR gurus probably think he's still very popular so wheel him out at every opportunity unfortunately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...