D'Jaffo

The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Oh for a Steven Bell and Andy Geoghan or a Michael Rose - a steadying influence and a harsh word when one is needed. We need players like that who can go up a gear when it's necessary. The trick is finding them and getting them integrated with the rest of the squad such that their message on the park is clear and unequivocal every week. It's what we've missed all season.

12 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Adds a lot of experience and a level head, even just for a season 😊

The "older" players seem to be the ones who are playing the starring roles at clubs not only around this country but around the globe, maybe that says something about the quality (or lack of) that's been coming through over the last few years ???

Conway still stays in Chorley and did an interview the other week saying being away from his kids is tough. If he does leave St Johnstone he might end up somewhere like Flyde if he's not wanting to move back to Scotland permanently.

I'd take him though but think the first few signings might give us a better idea what formation will be Hopkin's preferred cause right now it's hard to say if it will be wing-backs or wingers. 

27 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Conway still stays in Chorley and did an interview the other week saying being away from his kids is tough. If he does leave St Johnstone he might end up somewhere like Flyde if he's not wanting to move back to Scotland permanently.

I'd take him though but think the first few signings might give us a better idea what formation will be Hopkin's preferred cause right now it's hard to say if it will be wing-backs or wingers. 

Good point, it's unlikely he'd uproot his family just so he could play out his final year as a pro at Ayr, maybe if circumstances had been different or he fancied moving back to Ayrshire then that would have happened, but as you say, it's more likely he'd finish up closer to the family home.

Wee update on Nicky Devlin for you lads. We're having our POTY awards tonight and he's won 3/3 POTY awards so far :D He's had a belter of a season after a shite injury ridden season before

10 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Wee update on Nicky Devlin for you lads. We're having our POTY awards tonight and he's won 3/3 POTY awards so far :D He's had a belter of a season after a shite injury ridden season before

Great to see. A very good player and a top man. Can’t wait till he’s back playing for the Super 

Impressed with Ross Forbes tonight Goode experienced pro, his assists for goals must be right up there, was  high when he played for Morton, I know Hopkin thought the team lacked experience so he would fit the bill maybe

Impressed with Ross Forbes tonight Goode experienced pro, his assists for goals must be right up there, was  high when he played for Morton, I know Hopkin thought the team lacked experience so he would fit the bill maybe
He must have a decent job surely? Mental he's PT and playing at that level tbh.

He must have a decent job surely? Mental he's PT and playing at that level tbh.

Pretty sure he was given a job on the railways as part of the agreement for him joining Dumbarton.

Hopefully we do what we did last summer and just announce all the guys we’ve retained in one day instead of dragging it all out and then fully focus on bringing new guys in.

13 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Pretty sure he was given a job on the railways as part of the agreement for him joining Dumbarton.

My mate was his Boss when he played for Motherwell, think he was on the Bathgate job. He did say he was a really nice guy and probably never got close to fulfilling the undoubted potential that he had. I also remember Craig Brown raving about him when he was just breaking through.

15 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Dumbarton had Dom Thomas for a while which to an extent kickstarted his career as well. 

Was thinking we could do a lot worse, especially if McCowan leaves but Forbes is now 32 which probably means we should look elsewhere and that I've wasted 5 minutes on this message that I'm not getting back. 

Edited by BukyOHare

Alan Lithgow and Scott Robinson been released from Livingston

Robinson has been one of their best players since they were promoted and was sidelined by Martindale after signing a PCA elsewhere (rumoured to be Motherwell given how many other Livi players they've signed). He won't be ending up in the Championship.

According to Ayrshire Post we are closing in on two defenders. Likely to be announced next week. 

34 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

According to Ayrshire Post we are closing in on two defenders. Likely to be announced next week. 

Hopefully followed shorty be a decent centre forward 

Anthony O'Connor was captain at Bradford under Hopkin and last week it was announced he'll leave at the end of his contract. Was previously at Aberdeen but more than likely out of our price range.

Probably turn out we're waiting on Morton's season ending before announcing Sean McGinty and Brian McLean.

If we had to guess, who would they be?

Still think Lithgow is a reasonable shout given his history with Hopkin but besides that I have no other shouts.

24 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Probably turn out we're waiting on Morton's season ending before announcing Sean McGinty and Brian McLean.

I understand that David Hopkin may want a few players he has worked with before and rates highly, though I personally don't think that the players mentioned would be good enough for Ayr within the Championship. 

There is obviously a major challenge incoming next season, where as supporters, we should back the team fully, hoping we can better the 8th place position we had this year. 

Playing Inverness, Hamilton, Dunfermline and possibly K*lmarnock or Dundee next season. I have the fear that signing players such as McGinty would see Ayr in the lower half of the league. Ayr can do better Imo. 

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If we had to guess, who would they be?

Still think Lithgow is a reasonable shout given his history with Hopkin but besides that I have no other shouts.

Morton jobbers surely?