The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

The old adage of Rome wasn't built in a day needs to be remembered. We've seen a large chunk of transformational off field change happening in a short period of time, I just hope there is some patience whilst the fruits of that labour grow. Whether it works out with Hopkin or not ultimately I don't think really matters as managers come and go, the key thing here is Smith laying foundations for things to overtime improve on the field.  

"This is nothing but positive for Ayr United.

"The chance to top up our playing squad with potential loans could be huge for us in our league.

"It's a fluid situation and will be a blossoming situation in that regard.

"The partnership with Burnley is exciting - but the partnership with the other partner clubs is equally as exciting.

"So there are opportunities now in terms of before we might have sent a young player up to Albion Rovers on loan.

"We can now send them over the water to Ireland, for example, and the maturity that will come from that will be a massive bonus for our young players."

And Burnley, who will send their under 23s north this summer, hope to schedule a pre-season friendly with Ayr so that United can run the rule over potential loan signings.

Burnley bosses say Ayr were a "natural fit" after initially identifying the club through boss David Hopkin, who remains well known down south from his time at the likes of Leeds and Chelsea.

Clarets' chief operating officer Matt Williams told the Post: "We looked at a number of clubs but we spoke to the chairman and Ayr are very similar to us in terms of being a one town club.

"They're not in the Glasgow, Edinburgh or Dundee catchment area.

"We think their philosophy about what they do in the community ties in nicely with what we do.

I’d imagine Hopkin will recruit his 6 players and then look to fill the rest of the squad with a handful of Burnley youngsters. Not something I’d be averse to so long as they come up with the right attitude.

26 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d imagine Hopkin will recruit his 6 players and then look to fill the rest of the squad with a handful of Burnley youngsters. Not something I’d be averse to so long as they come up with the right attitude.

While I get your point, I’m not wanting our team full of Burnley youths. 3 or 4 max for me. 

45 minutes ago, Iain said:

In the Record article the Burnley guy says the idea is to send two at a time.

That would be acceptable. It would be a kick in the teeth for our own youth if we filled the team/bench with Burnley youths. We might get absolute duffers or we might get gems, who knows