The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

The last few pages have been a truly depressing read. It seems we’ve accept that’s it’s when we’re relegated than if. 

My thoughts are that relegation will push the club back years. I reckon Smith has planned for another season or two in this league laying the foundations before making a serious push from the premiership where we’d have a decent chance of surviving and cementing our place there much like a Livingston. 

It’s also worth mentioning that if we are relegated there is no guarantee we come straight back up. I suspect Partick and Falkirk will come up but if they don’t they’d be strong favourites for the title. Queens Park will be going up and are very strong.

It’s hard not to just accept it after the last few results.

I don’t believe Smith is no naive business wise to not have planned for something that had a decent chance of happening when he took over. He won’t have put all his eggs in one basket and when appointing a new manager will have taken into consideration that Hopkin took his Livingston team down (in circumstances not unlike ourselves right now) and then built them back up to win promotion to the Premiership.

34 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

How many clubs fans have driven their own goalie to jack it in at half time and drive off into the sunset never to grace the game again? That's the effect the SRE can have. I'll leave it to others to decide if that would have a positive impact or negative impact on this shower.

This must have escaped my mind. Who was that?

26 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

My thoughts are that relegation will push the club back years. I reckon Smith has planned for another season or two in this league laying the foundations before making a serious push from the premiership where we’d have a decent chance of surviving and cementing our place there much like a Livingston.

What's the phrase? Ah yes, birthday caird pish.

There should be a clause in any owner's contract that should the phrase "the plan is premier league football within a decade" be uttered within 100 yards of a microphone or a journalist then the club is immediately nationalised.

45 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

The last few pages have been a truly depressing read. It seems we’ve accept that’s it’s when we’re relegated than if. 

It’s also worth mentioning that if we are relegated there is no guarantee we come straight back up. I suspect Partick and Falkirk will come up but if they don’t they’d be strong favourites for the title. Queens Park will be going up and are very strong.

Are you missing the fact that Hopkin took us over about the same time, and took us down with us looking horrendous and getting pumped off of Stranraer? We had to go down and build form there to get up and cement our place. 

I imagine there'll be a big clear out in the summer and wholesale changes for Hoppy to get 'his' side in. The only difference is that League 1 next season is going to be far more competitive than it was when we went down. If you stay full time and get the biggest budget in League 1 you'll be fine, Hopkin will just need a big chunk of cash to get it done. You'll need to be paying more than QP/Partick/Falkirk/Airdrie/Cove I imagine.

9 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I tried google for the story but there was nothing. Anyone fill me in on it?

Conceded 4 at home to Ross County and was subbed off "injured" at half time in what was Neil Watt's last game.

One of many of his Stranraer boys who never played/appeared again after that. Think only Murray Henderson made it to the end of the season.  

1 minute ago, ATLIS said:

Are you missing the fact that Hopkin took us over about the same time, and took us down with us looking horrendous and getting pumped off of Stranraer? We had to go down and build form there to get up and cement our place. 

I imagine there'll be a big clear out in the summer and wholesale changes for Hoppy to get 'his' side in. The only difference is that League 1 next season is going to be far more competitive than it was when we went down. If you stay full time and get the biggest budget in League 1 you'll be fine, Hopkin will just need a big chunk of cash to get it done. You'll need to be paying more than QP/Partick/Falkirk/Airdrie/Cove I imagine.

Did he misuse every single one of your good players after he took over by playing a style of football that isn’t remotely suited to them? 

Genuine question! 

7 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I just have no faith in him being able to do this! 

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Did he misuse every single one of your good players after he took over by playing a style of football that isn’t remotely suited to them? 

Genuine question! 

Yep! Although we had a team of Morgyn Neill, Gary Glen, Matthew Knox, Jordan White, Darren Cole, Craig Sives, Charlie Telfer. It was a team largely devoid of quality outside of Halkett, Longridge, Mullin, Gallagher and Pittman

Mark Fotheringham downed tools and told Hopkin to "f**k off" mid game

He was playing Mullin as a wing back I'm sure, despite the fact he's a very good winger. Our issue was playing guys like Darren Cole though who had zero redeeming factors.

3 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I just have no faith in him being able to do this! 

If you do go down, you need a core of 5 or 6 real quality players, players that if you do go on a run can carry you to the Premiership like Pittman, Gallagher, Halkett and Mullin.

We used a back 3, Gallagher and Halkett along with Lithgow who we picked up after going down were immense. It helped that we signed Liam Kelly on loan, then Neil Alexander the year after. If Hopkin has at least a spine of players that could do well at Premiership level (or develop to that level) he just needs to fit players around them to compliment them. I imagine keeping McCowan is huge for Ayr.

Miller was good for us at League 1 as a DM, could take a decent free kick too. I imagine Walsh is another that could develop in that way and having Moffat in next to them in the same role we had Buchanan (scored 22 in the league) could work. Buchanan got 27 in 45 and Danny Mullen got 17 in 42. 

We went down and signed Nicky Cadden, Alan Lithgow, Sean Crighton, Shaun Byrne and Michael Miller who were all okay at that level but looked great next to better quality players. Lithgow and Byrne being the ones that developed to the level where they stood out that season, and carried onto being top level starters in the Championship

7 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Yep! Although we had a team of Morgyn Neill, Gary Glen, Matthew Knox, Jordan White, Darren Cole, Craig Sives, Charlie Telfer. It was a team largely devoid of quality outside of Halkett, Longridge, Mullin, Gallagher and Pittman

Mark Fotheringham downed tools and told Hopkin to "f**k off" mid game

He was playing Mullin as a wing back I'm sure, despite the fact he's a very good winger. Our issue was playing guys like Darren Cole though who had zero redeeming factors.

I really didn’t need any further confirmation that we are fucked this season, however this helped. I think we are going to continue to spectacularly implode in the final games of the season. 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

I really didn’t need any further confirmation that we are fucked this season, however this helped. I think we are going to continue to spectacularly implode in the final games of the season. 

Yeah I'd say it's still likely but it's not the end of the world. Felt like it at the time for Livi but was the best thing to happen to the club. 

Few Livi fans still laugh now about how we treated Hopkin, he got the worst abuse imaginable when we fucked it and went down in the playoffs. I remember shouts of 'Keep walking Hopkin', 'Get the f**k out of my club' etc... It was a very humbling experience in the following seasons for a lot of fans. If you do end up going down, keep the faith with him and give him a season at least

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Oh my word, that is the most ludicrous thing I have ever read 😆. Ayr can't even dream of being a premiership team, you've been punching above your weight in the championship for goodness sake.

3 minutes ago, MS RR said:

Oh my word, that is the most ludicrous thing I have ever read 😆. Ayr can't even dream of being a premiership team, you've been punching above your weight in the championship for goodness sake.

Good result today against Cove Rangers

6 minutes ago, MS RR said:

Imagine going on a fishing trip after losing to Cove fucking Rangers. What a loser