The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

14 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I just watched the post match interview. I hadn't realised McKenzie had broken his nose and kept playing. The majority of our players could learn from that. I expect most of them would have decided to go off. 

It was quite near the to be fair

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The Smith one I disagree with as it would only have made him unhappy and would’ve been no use to us anyway. Bell I think could’ve been convinced to stay. He wanted to leave after we won the league and then again the following season but McCall managed to talk him round to staying. It wasn’t as if he was unhappy, he just felt as though he wasn’t up to it at this level. He would easily be our best centre half right now which granted isn’t saying much but pairing Ndaba with him would make a massive difference to us.

The problem is we knew it was happening. I’d rather he had left in January and we could have at least had a half arsed attempt and a semi decent replacement. The flip side has been he’s away and we’ve had to replace him with a guy on loan from League 1 who couldn’t get a game.

28 minutes ago, North British said:

The Bell thing is intriguing , never noticed him at Stranraer but was a BMW of a player when he arrived . I have a suspicion he expected a slot in the coaching team . 

Perhaps you're onto something here, perhaps you're not. 

Only Bell himself will know the truth for him leaving, despite the positive noises coming from the club at the time and since. 

You'd like to think he'll make an excellent coach. 

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Even then his options would’ve been exceptionally limited. He could easily have went and sighed a bunch of nothing, unproven OF youngsters but it would only have been another stick to beat him with when they turned out to be shite.

He didn't need to sign anyone. Regardless of its deficiencies, on paper this is not a squad that gets made to look like an under-11s by Arbroath. Both performances and results were better when the manager's position was vacant.

To be quite hones the contract clause that I'd be most keen on checking right now is not if Hopkin can be released for free on relegation, but if the owner has the right to turn Somerset into another block of student flats should, in his opinion, the club no longer be financially viable as an ongoing concern.

Nah Bell wasn’t sure whether he’d be able to perform at Championship level whilst only training part time. There was an interview with him a few months ago and he had nothing but good things to say about Kerr and McArdle and the club so I doubt there was an issue there. I just feel Kerr could’ve done more to convince him to stay but he’s moved on and we’re stuck with what we’ve got.

26 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Agree with this. I guarantee we wouldnt be in the position we're in if fans had been at games this season. We'd have been 7th at worst 

How is having fans at games giving this current team possession, creativity or goals?

He didn't need to sign anyone. Regardless of its deficiencies, on paper this is not a squad that gets made to look like an under-11s by Arbroath. Both performances and results were better when the manager's position was vacant.
To be quite hones the contract clause that I'd be most keen on checking right now is not if Hopkin can be released for free on relegation, but if the owner has the right to turn Somerset into another block of student flats should, in his opinion, the club no longer be financially viable as an ongoing concern.

He had to sign a replacement for Smith and he needed an attacking option in midfield after McGavin left.

26 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I really dont think it is. On paper that squad we have should have been in the hunt for 2nd place, not 2nd bottom. Walsh, Chalmers, Baird, Miller, Zanatta, Anderson etc all came with a good pedigree for this level. There is no way in hell we would be seeing these half arsed performances at Somerset if we had been there. The SRE just wouldnt have allowed the malaise to go on as long as it has 

How many clubs fans have driven their own goalie to jack it in at half time and drive off into the sunset never to grace the game again? That's the effect the SRE can have. I'll leave it to others to decide if that would have a positive impact or negative impact on this shower.

Edited by Trogdor

Just now, BukyOHare said:

Perhaps you're onto something here, perhaps you're not. 

Only Bell himself will know the truth for him leaving, despite the positive noises coming from the club at the time and since. 

You'd like to think he'll make an excellent coach. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Nah Bell wasn’t sure whether he’d be able to perform at Championship level whilst only training part time. There was an interview with him a few months ago and he had nothing but good things to say about Kerr and McArdle and the club so I doubt there was an issue there. I just feel Kerr could’ve done more to convince him to stay but he’s moved on and we’re stuck with what we’ve got.

I think Bell is right, he was playing like a slightly better Jack Baird last season.  My partner never saw him play for us without making a ridiculous individual error leading to a goal or a penalty so explaining to her that he's actually decent was tough.  Leadership wise, no question, good guy.  

7 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I think Bell is right, he was playing like a slightly better Jack Baird last season.  My partner never saw him play for us without making a ridiculous individual error leading to a goal or a penalty so explaining to her that he's actually decent was tough.  Leadership wise, no question, good guy.  

I was probably one of the worst for slagging Bell on here. I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

The guy was a presence around the place and within the squad. He set a standard and example, which is pretty remarkable given he was part time and juggling his real job as well. 

Edited by Trogdor

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Bell would have made the perfect sweeper behind two centre half’s , who cares if he only trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays . If we go down I’d hope we can get him back , given that he’s cruising L1 with Thistle at the moment  .

1 hour ago, AyrExile said:

On the pitch i would agree with you. Off the pitch i cant remember the last time it looked so positive with stadium repairs , new hub and a competitive wage bill. Who knows exactly what goes on behind the scenes though

There's still quite a few things, hell of a lot of people who help around the ground are volunteers, plus the shop and hospitality are effectively glorified portakabins, i know the shop is obviously improving, well before time though

36 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The Smith one I disagree with as it would only have made him unhappy and would’ve been no use to us anyway.

I agree when we were faced with that decision, for the reasons you've said, we had to let the player leave. Why did the move have to be during our mid season? The American team could've came back in for him after our season was finished surely? 

If the windows are different it might have meant he was without a club for a few months but it would've gone a long way to getting us some goals / points and maintaining our Championship status. 

As was pointed out previously, we've made an art form of getting the raw end of some of these deals. 

The last few pages have been a truly depressing read. It seems we’ve accept that’s it’s when we’re relegated than if. 

My thoughts are that relegation will push the club back years. I reckon Smith has planned for another season or two in this league laying the foundations before making a serious push from the premiership where we’d have a decent chance of surviving and cementing our place there much like a Livingston. 

It’s also worth mentioning that if we are relegated there is no guarantee we come straight back up. I suspect Partick and Falkirk will come up but if they don’t they’d be strong favourites for the title. Queens Park will be going up and are very strong.

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

It’s also worth mentioning that if we are relegated there is no guarantee we come straight back up. I suspect Partick and Falkirk will come up but if they don’t they’d be strong favourites for the title. Queens Park will be going up and are very strong.

Congrats, I didn't think things could get much worse. You've made me feel even worse about relegation.

I had forgotten that McKinnon and his bounty hunters would be promoted. League One certainly wouldn't be a gimmie next season.

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Congrats, I didn't think things could get much worse. You've made me feel even worse about relegation.

I had forgotten that McKinnon and his bounty hunters would be promoted. League One certainly wouldn't be a gimmie next season.

Not mentioning Alloa and cove 

17 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

How many clubs fans have driven their own goalie to jack it in at half time and drive off into the sunset never to grace the game again? That's the effect the SRE can have. I'll leave it to others to decide if that would have a positive impact or negative impact on this shower.

BJC, GBNF. Seem to remember Jordan Hart taking a fair amount of personal abuse directly on social media. No way having fans in would be a good thing just now.