The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Not bad, Smith is hardly in the door and he'll need to spend his cash on the playing side. 

You knew it was coming when we threw in the towel on our promotion push 2 seasons ago. 

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He couldn’t have signed any of them though. McGinn signed for Morton the day after Hopkin came to us and went there due to his past with Gus McPherson. Geggan and Bell had already signed for Partick as well by the time Hopkin came in. The failing was allowing Geggan and Bell to leave so easily in the summer.

Clearly got my timings wrong then... 👀

9 minutes ago, rb123! said:

In the space of 2 & 1/2  years, we've gone from rocking up to a premiership set up club at a premiership ground to pump Dundee United 5-0 to going to a part time team in Arbroath who've pumped us 4-0, this can all honestly just f**k off.

History tells you that's the kind of rollercoaster ride of emotions we've all signed up for I'm afraid. 

Long after Hopkin and the Charlatans have departed, we'll all still be there hoping for the best and fearing the worst. That's football, watching them long enough doesn't make performances like today easier to accept just easier to see it for one season out of 110. 

What's clear is that everyone connected with the club, from top to bottom and everything in between need to have a huge look at themselves. 

Smith has massive decisions to make. 

Edited by BukyOHare

Clearly got my timings wrong then... [emoji102]

The point of your post is correct though and it annoyed me that Kerr went the opposite way from McCall in that he oversaw all of the captains of our team leaving. Not all of them his own fault as Adams was forced to retire, Doc moved on, Bell decided for whatever reason he wasn’t up to it but there’s been a massive failing when it comes to replacing them. Replacing Steven Bell who has been a huge player for us on the pitch and in the dressing room, was instrumental in us winning the league and stepped up pretty well to the Championship. Who do we replace him with? Jack fucking Baird.

The journey to this sad meek day , with a total surrender to a bunch of guys playing for £150 a week started last May when  we fannyed around in the transfer market allowing other teams ,like the Pars steam ahead and get their business done . Then the even stranger stuff started to begin not long after we seems to recover in the transfer market a little . The first was Bell walking away , he would have been perfect for a five at the back system , which we’re now attempting . Why did he go ? Something went badly wrong there . Then we had the issue with Anderson , the boy is a player , but we failed to get him going . Next up was Cameron , letting him walk at the same time as Anderson was criminal .  Then comes the inbound Christmas window ,Arbroath get Jack Hamilton we get a boy from the Irish league , this after the failure with Gillespie last season . However the killer blow was next up ,our best player , who was clearly holding the team together pisses of to the USA , just when we needed him most . A whole series of events that added to us not playing any summer football ,led us to today .

Having said all that I really did think that today they’d look in the mirror in the morning today and say to themselves “ I’m having this today “ , but alas they can’t even roll their sleeves up and go to town . Shame on them .

However your club isn’t for Christmas lads , it’s for ever . So bin all this not going next season nonsense . We have a Chairman with a vision and a blue print to get there . There is a bigger picture . A picture that the Arbroath of the world will not get to see . We are underachieving they are punching above their weight . This is a road bump . Yes we got knocked on our arse today  but bigger set ups than Ayr have fallen through the Championship trap door .  Keep the faith fellas , your never out the fight .

You don't readily replace the leadership and mental strength of Bell, Geggan and Docherty, piano lifters. They don't steal the limelight or show up statistically. You can't put a stat or a price on organising everyone around them, refusing to accept second best and hard work. 

Players like that don't come around very often.

To have them in a team with the likes of Crawford, Rose and Shankland, the piano players, on an upward trajectory was the mix everybody should be trying to replicate. 

Let's be honest, 2 year deals or not, you could quite easily start with a blank canvas for next season.

Regardless of what league we're in, start drawing up two lists right now.

One we'll need and one we won't. 

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

There were lots of little things like that of them just ignoring him in both the Clyde and Dundee games that just made me think the players have no respect at all for him or his knowledge of the game. 

The thing with that is that's he's had a career in the game that this shower of shite could only dream of. 

25 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Hopkin post match interview was pretty blunt tbh which was at least pleasing to see.

Basically saying he's winning a losing battle with a shower of shite squad and called out players being comfy thinking they're safe with a contract for next year.

Also accused the squad and club of having very few leaders, talks about having 4/5 leaders in teams over the past few seasons and now only have 1/2.

We're now seeing i think that the club is a shambles from top to bottom, Dave Smith needs new impetus on the board, 2 other board of directors isn't acceptable for a club trying to function in the championship, especially ones who were there to oversee and approve the honking decisions of appointing the likes of Mark Roberts and Mark Kerr.

I could go into a whole essay about the shambles of different areas of the club but i can't even be arsed, the whole setup is just mickey mouse and it's now apparent McCall was the rolls royce pulling the 1940's John Deere tractor through the mire for a few seasons to make us look half decent.

In the space of 2 & 1/2  years, we've gone from rocking up to a premiership set up club at a premiership ground to pump Dundee United 5-0 to going to a part time team in Arbroath who've pumped us 4-0, this can all honestly just f**k off.

Get that fucking not good enough banner up at Somerset

On the pitch i would agree with you. Off the pitch i cant remember the last time it looked so positive with stadium repairs , new hub and a competitive wage bill. Who knows exactly what goes on behind the scenes though

13 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The point of your post is correct though and it annoyed me that Kerr went the opposite way from McCall in that he oversaw all of the captains of our team leaving. Not all of them his own fault as Adams was forced to retire, Doc moved on, Bell decided for whatever reason he wasn’t up to it but there’s been a massive failing when it comes to replacing them. Replacing Steven Bell who has been a huge player for us on the pitch and in the dressing room, was instrumental in us winning the league and stepped up pretty well to the Championship. Who do we replace him with? Jack fucking Baird.

Kerr himself on top of that as well. 

With how bad the coverage of our home streams it’s been, it has been hard to identify how much of a liability Baird is but it has become increasingly evident.

21 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Replacing Steven Bell who has been a huge player for us on the pitch and in the dressing room, was instrumental in us winning the league and stepped up pretty well to the Championship. Who do we replace him with? Jack fucking Baird.

Jack Baird is the lightning rod of my fury. I'm sick of the fucking sight of him. He's not a Captain, I doubt he could spell leadership. He's also culpable for about one in every two goals we concede. He'd be the first of many punted into the sea if it was up to me.

Unfortunately we’re becoming too “nice” a club. Letting players like Bell and Smith walk away mid contracts, giving out contracts that stops us from cashing in on our assets like Forrest, Shankland, Crawford, Harvie, Rose etc. We never seem to get the right end of the deal. 

8 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

You don't readily replace the leadership and mental strength of Bell, Geggan and Docherty, piano lifters. They don't steal the limelight or show up statistically. You can't put a stat or a price on organising everyone around them, refusing to accept second best and hard work. 

Players like that don't come around very often.

To have them in a team with the likes of Crawford, Rose and Shankland, the piano players, on an upward trajectory was the mix everybody should be trying to replicate. 

Let's be honest, 2 year deals or not, you could quite easily start with a blank canvas for next season.

Regardless of what league we're in, start drawing up two lists right now.

One we'll need and one we won't. 

The beauty of Shankland was he could lift pianos and play them . The all court centre forward . Will we ever see the likes again .

The Bell thing is intriguing , never noticed him at Stranraer but was a BMW of a player when he arrived . I have a suspicion he expected a slot in the coaching team . 

I expect those list are well on the way from development to fruition.  Also some of those two year deals may have relegation clauses .

I just watched the post match interview. I hadn't realised McKenzie had broken his nose and kept playing. The majority of our players could learn from that. I expect most of them would have decided to go off. 

1 hour ago, Hursty said:

Those players are so fucking lucky that no fans are allowed in on Saturday / playoffs.  Can take their defeat and just avoid a wee bit of eye contact with their team mates and the manager then swan off home none the worse for it.    Wee bit of an inconvenience but nothing major.  

Agree with this. I guarantee we wouldnt be in the position we're in if fans had been at games this season. We'd have been 7th at worst 

Unfortunately we’re becoming too “nice” a club. Letting players like Bell and Smith walk away mid contracts, giving out contracts that stops us from cashing in on our assets like Forrest, Shankland, Crawford, Harvie, Rose etc. We never seem to get the right end of the deal. 

The Smith one I disagree with as it would only have made him unhappy and would’ve been no use to us anyway. Bell I think could’ve been convinced to stay. He wanted to leave after we won the league and then again the following season but McCall managed to talk him round to staying. It wasn’t as if he was unhappy, he just felt as though he wasn’t up to it at this level. He would easily be our best centre half right now which granted isn’t saying much but pairing Ndaba with him would make a massive difference to us.

19 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Jack Baird is the lightning rod of my fury. I'm sick of the fucking sight of him. He's not a Captain, I doubt he could spell leadership. He's also culpable for about one in every two goals we concede. He'd be the first of many punted into the sea if it was up to me.

From about 2 games in I said he wasnt captain material. Seems so long ago that posters on here had such a lob on for him when he signed. An absolute shitebag just like like 80% of this seasons squad 

31 minutes ago, North British said:

The journey to this sad meek day , with a total surrender to a bunch of guys playing for £150 a week started last May when  we fannyed around in the transfer market allowing other teams ,like the Pars steam ahead and get their business done . Then the even stranger stuff started to begin not long after we seems to recover in the transfer market a little . The first was Bell walking away , he would have been perfect for a five at the back system , which we’re now attempting . Why did he go ? Something went badly wrong there . Then we had the issue with Anderson , the boy is a player , but we failed to get him going . Next up was Cameron , letting him walk at the same time as Anderson was criminal .  Then comes the inbound Christmas window ,Arbroath get Jack Hamilton we get a boy from the Irish league , this after the failure with Gillespie last season . However the killer blow was next up ,our best player , who was clearly holding the team together pisses of to the USA , just when we needed him most . A whole series of events that added to us not playing any summer football ,led us to today .

Having said all that I really did think that today they’d look in the mirror in the morning today and say to themselves “ I’m having this today “ , but alas they can’t even roll their sleeves up and go to town . Shame on them .

However your club isn’t for Christmas lads , it’s for ever . So bin all this not going next season nonsense . We have a Chairman with a vision and a blue print to get there . There is a bigger picture . A picture that the Arbroath of the world will not get to see . We are underachieving they are punching above their weight . This is a road bump . Yes we got knocked on our arse today  but bigger set ups than Ayr have fallen through the Championship trap door .  Keep the faith fellas , your never out the fight .

Do we know for a fact that we do? His first dealings with the on the pitch side have been subject failure. 

4 minutes ago, Iain said:

This is wishful thinking.

I really dont think it is. On paper that squad we have should have been in the hunt for 2nd place, not 2nd bottom. Walsh, Chalmers, Baird, Miller, Zanatta, Anderson etc all came with a good pedigree for this level. There is no way in hell we would be seeing these half arsed performances at Somerset if we had been there. The SRE just wouldnt have allowed the malaise to go on as long as it has