The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

He'll have a decent budget for the championship if we are in it next season. So it may be the first time he's been able to be selective in the market. 

Having a budget behind him wont improve his recruitment skills though will it? It'll definitely give him more options but he's still likely to be looking in the same places for players, using the same clubs for loan deals or the same agents for their clients. 

We'll see. 

11 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Is there now a scenario where QOS can finish 9th or 2nd?

3rd and 9th are the two extremes they can finish if my maths is correct, fixture permitting.  Only because of the shortened season.  I notice a lot of folk (not you I might add) saying that this is a 'crazy season' and they've 'never seen it before'.  Well yes, because there's never been a 3/4 season before.  The margins are much finer position-wise.  A win can move you up 3-4 places.  Likewise a defeat can send you the other way, and all positions from 2nd to 9th may not be confirmed until the final game.

51 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

3rd and 9th are the two extremes they can finish if my maths is correct, fixture permitting.  Only because of the shortened season.  I notice a lot of folk (not you I might add) saying that this is a 'crazy season' and they've 'never seen it before'.  Well yes, because there's never been a 3/4 season before.  The margins are much finer position-wise.  A win can move you up 3-4 places.  Likewise a defeat can send you the other way, and all positions from 2nd to 9th may not be confirmed until the final game.

Even in full seasons around Jan - March it has been incredibly tight in this league before teams go on a final run to stave off relegation fears. You are right that the shortened season is making it appear far worse, if we went for a full 36 I'd expect there to be a decent gap forming between two packs at either end. It does feel though as if clubs are collectively trying to chuck it this season with some having a greater degree of success at it than others. Fully expected Inverness to be in the same position as us when McCann was announced, have been quite surprised at the job he's done. 

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Having a budget behind him wont improve his recruitment skills though will it? It'll definitely give him more options but he's still likely to be looking in the same places for players, using the same clubs for loan deals or the same agents for their clients. 

We'll see. 

I’m sure Robert Connor thought Messi was a good player but he only had the budget for Chris Strain 

11 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I’m sure Robert Connor thought Messi was a good player but he only had the budget for Chris Strain 

It's about finding the next Shankland, Rose, Devlin, Harvie or Doohan at the right stage of their career and development in order to be in a position to come to us, that I'd be more concerned about Hopkin and Timmins being able to do consistently.

If they get the recruitment right, then fans will overlook the style of play as hopefully results will follow. If they don't get it right and results / performances continue as they are, then look out for the fans turning, regardless of what league we're in next season.

Let’s face it, there is a HUGE element of luck involved in recruitment.

We were all quite impressed with the signings that Kerr was making leading up to this season.

Hopkin could recruit an absolute gang and end up steamrolling the league - who knows.

52 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

It's about finding the next Shankland, Rose, Devlin, Harvie or Doohan at the right stage of their career and development in order to be in a position to come to us, that I'd be more concerned about Hopkin and Timmins being able to do consistently.

If they get the recruitment right, then fans will overlook the style of play as hopefully results will follow. If they don't get it right and results / performances continue as they are, then look out for the fans turning, regardless of what league we're in next season.

For those players, he needed to get  at least 2 of them to relocate from the north east. They aren’t going to do that on a wage slightly above part time players. 
They have to pay a decent wage and expenses or both those players could have signed for another club in the north east or even Central belt and been better off.

He signed the majority of the core team that took Livingston up twice and there are a fair few of them still there, he didn’t have a window at Bradford to sign players and Morton he had a restricted budget. 

I have not been impressed with what I have seen so far of Hopkin but I’m waiting on him succeeding or failing at different aspects before criticising him on them.
He joined Ayr after the window closed, he has brought in 3 players and lost 2 players.

The 3 he has brought in, 1 has been about average at this level for a few years. 1 has failed on loan at this level before and hasn’t been given a real run at proving he is better than anything we have, I am guessing based on what he shows in training and the third only joined on Friday. 

With him joining after the window closed, his options were limited and as Mark Kerr proved, there is no point signing players for the sake of it if they aren’t better than what you have. 

West Ham have been mince for years, they sign two players with a winning mentality and energy levels above the rest of the team and it kicks them on. We did that with Stevenson, McGowan and Keenan a few years ago to lift us and it hasn’t happened this year.
Bringing in players that you would think would have a point to prove should be a good thing but so many just don’t look interested.

We were all quite impressed with the signings that Kerr was making leading up to this season.

Hopkin could recruit an absolute gang and end up steamrolling the league - who knows.
Absolutely this.

Those fans who were critical of signing shankland being the best example.

Some signings look great and turn out great.

Some signings look great and turn out shite.

Some signings look shite and turn out shite.

Some signings look shite and turn out great.

Many fans will have a reasonable percentage of predictions but in the end we're all guessing to an extent.

56 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

There is a huge element of luck, of course there is, but there are definitely  teams and individuals who are consistently "lucky" by the groundwork they put in and the time they commit to it. 

15 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Absolutely this.

Many fans will have a reasonable percentage of predictions but in the end we're all guessing to an extent.

Some teams and individuals guess less than the others and make more informed decisions though. That's what they put the success that often follows, down to. 

Don't be a total guesser. 

Edited by BukyOHare

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Absolutely this.

Noted

McCall signs players he has had before and know won’t let him down. He said when he signed Rose that he spoke to McInness to find out what kind of person he was. 

If Kerr did that with the players he signed then he needs to delete a lot of numbers from his phone. 

Did any players do Hopkin a job at Morton? Doesn’t look like it so I’d hope he doesn’t start there. 

Kerr insisted that he did his homework on players so it’s hard to genuinely hear what the issue was. I am sure some players will want to excuse the Ayr part of their CV by blaming something at the club so it will be interesting to see what comes out in the future.

I saw it mentioned earlier but the budget difference between what Hopkin should have available at Ayr and Morton is significant (I understand).  Unless he gets us relegated of course. 

31 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

If Kerr did that with the players he signed then he needs to delete a lot of numbers from his phone. 

We'll see where a lot of this seasons squad end up in their career for sure. 

Ndaba, Sinisalo, Baird, Reading, Houston, Walsh, Anderson, Miller and Smith are all "decent" individual players for our level and in the right team, tactics and their own attitude. 

We didn't get somebody to score goals (and still haven't), as has been pointed out numerous times its about getting 11 individuals to play as a team. That along with the lack of a goalscorer is the main reason we are where we are. Defensively we've been acceptable. 

Edited by BukyOHare

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

I saw it mentioned earlier but the budget difference between what Hopkin should have available at Ayr and Morton is significant (I understand).  Unless he gets us relegated of course. 

As the second largest shareholder at Morton (if that is indeed true) he's only got himself to blame then. 😉

Spider Man Reaction GIF

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Ayr part of their CV by blaming something at the club so it will be interesting to see what comes out in the future.

Mostly every player who have left Ayr in last 3 seasons have only had positive things to say about the club , even this season the only players who were here any length of time and moved on Sinisola and Smith have both tweeted how good the club were to them 

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

As the second largest shareholder at Morton (if that is indeed true) he's only got himself to blame then. 😉

Spider Man Reaction GIF

Makes a mockery of any of the paying players chat doesn't it. 

14 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Makes a mockery of any of the paying players chat doesn't it. 

Yes. The fact he has a clear interest in another team in the league can't just be swept under the carpet surely? If indeed it's true. There's no reason to doubt the Morton fans word on this is there? 

2 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Spider Man Reaction GIF

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/SC003264/filing-history

He listed on the Confirmation statement made on 28 December 2020 as shareholding 220 with 41666 ordinary shares. 

Didn't bother to check to see how it compares to everyone else on the list.