The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Some nonsense on here. The large majority of our team are Edinburgh/Glasgow based so they’ll hardly be rolling out of their bed and strolling to gayfield. Probably an extremely simple case of us asking the players what they’d prefer, and them saying they’d rather get home about 5pm instead of 10pm.

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

On POY I dont think Muirhead has been any better than last year, and given he is now in POY contention shows how much the standard has fallen since last year

He's improved his discipline for sure since the Morton game and looked to have become a vocal leader on the park. Not hard to stand out with the latter given we've gone from a team of talkers to a team who play silently. Performance wise he's been solid with whatever job he's been asked to do, but would agree with you to an extent that he's not really jumped leaps and bounds instead seen the levels around him take him from average/dependable to top of the class. 

Gonna be plenty of good players available in May . This time we have to go after our priority targets early and make sure we get them . Particularly guys who can score goals . Get the main guys in early and then take a little more time with the fillers . Two strikers and two central midfielders being the main priority . 

Didn’t realise Kyle Turner out on lone in January from Dunfermline To Airdrie, he would have done us surely, and one for next year maybe.

Think that deal only happened because Dunfermline wanted to keep a player they’d agreed to loan Airdrie so gave them Turner instead. He’s rejected a new offer at Dunfermline but will be looking to take a step up but he’s someone we should’ve been looking to get when he was still at Stranraer.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Think that deal only happened because Dunfermline wanted to keep a player they’d agreed to loan Airdrie so gave them Turner instead. He’s rejected a new offer at Dunfermline but will be looking to take a step up but he’s someone we should’ve been looking to get when he was still at Stranraer.

Didn't McCall try to get him a while back? He got a better offer at the Pars?

51 minutes ago, North British said:

Gonna be plenty of good players available in May . This time we have to go after our priority targets early and make sure we get them . Particularly guys who can score goals . Get the main guys in early and then take a little more time with the fillers . Two strikers and two central midfielders being the main priority . 

We won't sign anyone until we know what league we are in. for a few years we could do business early knowing we were staying in the league at least. 

We have became a basket case club in a short period of time, loans cut short, change of manager, players disappearing. Players being blamed for bad results or having attitude problems. 

We are past the luxury of bringing in young players to develop and having old heads to support, we need a root and branch makeover in the summer with no gambles or we will be in the same situation as we are in just now. If we stay up that is. 

Didn't McCall try to get him a while back? He got a better offer at the Pars?

I dunno about the summer that he went to Dunfermline but he tried to get him in the January we got Bell and then a few months later after we won the league. Was a player I was sure would rock up at Somerset.

57 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

we need a root and branch makeover in the summer with no gambles

Every signing has to be seen to be a gamble of some sort at our level. 

The root and branch makeover I agree with but what doesn't fill me with confidence is Hopkin's track record of recruitment and the players he feels are needed for the system, style and formation he wants to play. 

Good recruitment is massively important at all levels of the game, I fear we're nowhere near ready or good enough as a club to have the required recruiting skills to put together a team and squad to punch above our weight.

Recruitment skills must've been a huge requirement for the owner at the recent manager interviews. I'd love to know how Hopkin persuaded him he was the most suitable candidate with his recent track record at Morton fresh in the memory. 

I agree this squad needs gutted but even with the number of changes that are required we could find ourselves in the same position again regardless. 

55 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

We won't sign anyone until we know what league we are in. for a few years we could do business early knowing we were staying in the league at least. 

We have became a basket case club in a short period of time, loans cut short, change of manager, players disappearing. Players being blamed for bad results or having attitude problems. 

We are past the luxury of bringing in young players to develop and having old heads to support, we need a root and branch makeover in the summer with no gambles or we will be in the same situation as we are in just now. If we stay up that is. 

We pretty much have our defence signed for next season , that and a few players who may or may not compete for slots in the midfield . Keeper and the four I mentioned will be a priority no matter what league we are in . I remember the last time we dropped down , we brought Moffat , Geggan and Higgins in early doors . Good bit of business . Some thing equally as ambitious is required .

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Good recruitment is massively important at all levels of the game, I fear we're nowhere near ready or good enough as a club to have the required recruiting skills to put together a team and squad to punch above our weight.

He has been at Livi and Morton, both had cash issues at the time, Livi were almost part time and Morton were raking our bins for Doolan and McGuffie. He'll have a decent budget for the championship if we are in it next season. So it may be the first time he's been able to be selective in the market. 

If we do stay up, the likelihood of an all full time division is likely which will remove the part time safety net we haven't had to use the advantage of till now. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Thistle manage to make it, we see Doohan, Harvey or Rose on loan there next year.  

5 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Thistle manage to make it, we see Doohan, Harvey or Rose on loan there next year.  

Doohan maybe. Harvie is playing regularly for MK Dons though and even though Rose has been in and out of the Coventry team it would still be quite a step down. Can’t see it.

13 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

He has been at Livi and Morton, both had cash issues at the time, Livi were almost part time and Morton were raking our bins for Doolan and McGuffie. He'll have a decent budget for the championship if we are in it next season. So it may be the first time he's been able to be selective in the market. 

If we do stay up, the likelihood of an all full time division is likely which will remove the part time safety net we haven't had to use the advantage of till now. 

Why would Harvie or Rose possibly be on loan to Thistle next year. Wild shouts!

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Doohan maybe. Harvie is playing regularly for MK Dons though and even though Rose has been in and out of the Coventry team it would still be quite a step down. Can’t see it.

He mostly signs former players that have done a job for him in the past, All the ex-thistle players he signed at Ayr are past it now so he's either going to pinch McCowan, Maybe Crawford from Motherwell if he's let go or one of those three. 

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

He mostly signs former players that have done a job for him in the past, All the ex-thistle players he signed at Ayr are past it now so he's either going to pinch McCowan, Maybe Crawford from Motherwell if he's let go or one of those three. 

If either Rose or Harvie come back up here it would be to play in the Premiership.

I could absolutely see him trying to get McCowan but I’m not convinced he’d go. He wasn’t in the first team for that long before McCall left.

McGuffie, Murdoch and even Kerr are probably more realistic shouts.

7 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Crawford signed a new Motherwell deal just 2 weeks ago.