The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If you’re saying McCowan would follow the same path as Mullin then by that logic we’d be in the Premiership as well. So yeah it would be a success.

Not for him.

He's running out of time to go beyond the top flight IMO.

Not for him.
He's running out of time to go beyond the top flight IMO.

Such is the disadvantage of starting your career later that normal.

It still doesn’t change the fact that if he was to step up now he’d be out of his depth and simply end up punted back on loan to a Championship team.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

It still doesn’t change the fact that if he was to step up now he’d be out of his depth and simply end up punted back on loan to a Championship team.

He'd get time to adapt, if he chose wisely though. A 23yo stepping up will be given time to acclimatise/find his role.

If he's 25/26 and stepping up then teams will expect an instant impact.

It's a gamble whether he stays or goes, I just reckon he's better taking the leap now with less pressure/more potential, then later when he'll no longer be classed as a young player and is expected to slot straight in, especially when he's never played top flight football before.

I agree that the step up is too big at the moment, but it's certainly not ability that will hold him back. There are loads of less talented players in the top division. It's the other aspects of the game - decision making, consistency, workrate, tracking back etc. Based on what we've done over the past 4 games, I could see him benefiting from another year with us where he'd be challenged to work on all of these areas of his game.

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I was on about wingers/attacking midfielders. They're generally inconsistent and haven't even nailed a role if they're still in the lower tiers by their mid-20s. Alston and Stewart both examples, one got lucky with a team deciding to give them a free role, the other didn't.

Smith and Shankland were both in double figures for Premiership appearances before they even joined Ayr, so I'm not sure how that's similar to McCowan in terms of stepping up. They both had an idea of how top flight sides operate/top flight players play. McCowan will have to adapt to something new on and off the field quickly.

Mullin didn't step up with Livingston, and is back with them after a few years, after being released by Ross County. If McCowan joins County, is a regular for one season, back up the next, then released for nothing before joining Ayr, would you class him as a success story?

I think it’s incredibly generous to include Shankland’s previous top flight games - when he was 19 and nothing like the player he is now - in this context. Everyone knows he only made the step up this season.

Mullin played Championship football with Livingston then Ross County until County won promotion. He was 25 - about to turn 26 - in his first top flight game and has been playing top flight football ever since. I really don’t know why you’re trying to make it out like he’s been dumped back at Championship level - he’s still playing in the Premiership and actually moved to a team that’s far higher up the league than County are now.

Really you’ve just overdone it on the hyperbole to try push your point - there’s plenty examples of players stepping up in their mid 20s. McCowan hasn’t even played a full season of games thanks to coronavirus. I really don’t think there’s any harm in him getting a full season in before taking a step up.

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I think it’s incredibly generous to include Shankland’s previous top flight games - when he was 19 and nothing like the player he is now - in this context. Everyone knows he only made the step up this season.

Mullin played Championship football with Livingston then Ross County until County won promotion. He was 25 - about to turn 26 - in his first top flight game and has been playing top flight football ever since. I really don’t know why you’re trying to make it out like he’s been dumped back at Championship level - he’s still playing in the Premiership and actually moved to a team that’s far higher up the league than County are now.

Really you’ve just overdone it on the hyperbole to try push your point - there’s plenty examples of players stepping up in their mid 20s. McCowan hasn’t even played a full season of games thanks to coronavirus. I really don’t think there’s any harm in him getting a full season in before taking a step up.

Shankland had been in/around top flight matches. Its basic but there is a big change.

On a side note, you've signed Jamie Barjonas on loan from Rangers. 

Just now, Superhursy7 said:

Maybe I'm wrong but Shankland have never started a top flight game only been a sub for Aberdeen

I mean, does that mean he wasn't in/around top flight matches?

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

When Hopkin was talking about an attacker coming in I thought he was talking about a striker. Not Jamie Barjonas.

Barjonas is going to be the modern day David Bingham. Linked with him every few months but never signs for us. Not signing for us would be no bad thing imo! 

40 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Barjonas is going to be the modern day David Bingham. Linked with him every few months but never signs for us. Not signing for us would be no bad thing imo! 

Sounds like the deal is pretty far down the line. 

B95AFA92-298B-4C61-ABC2-5F9CFF40EE8D.png

46 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

When Hopkin was talking about an attacker coming in I thought he was talking about a striker. Not Jamie Barjonas.

David Hopkin signing players widely believed to be shite in positions which aren't the priority?

Shocked at this development.

Just now, ayrunitedfw said:

Morton fans weird obsession/hatred of David Hopkin is really quite something which is going to make it even more glorious when he keeps us up and they go down. 

Sounding a bit like a Partick fan any time an Ayr fan mentions McCall there. Talking about former managers and players as well as other clubs in your division is quite a normal thing to do, really.

You staying up and us going down is entirely expected by most Morton fans, in no small part due to the squad Hopkin built.

You have probably stumbled into quite a good situation here. On the face of it Kerr could recruit a decent squad but was incapable of managing it. Hopkin is the opposite; ask him to build a squad himself and he'll recruit several players so poor that all the coaching in the world won't make a competent side out of it, but give him a decent one to work with in the first place and he'll probably deliver results. On that basis you should be fine, because he's inherited the best squad of the bottom half teams.

32 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Wait til he plays him at right back

He seemed to be tactically aware enough on Tuesday night when we put in our best performance of the season by quite some way.

The players are obviously happy and are playing for him, another couple of performances like that will see us in the promotion play offs as opposed to the relegation one.