The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Thought our defence looked much more organised in recent games than they did a month or two back.  It is a real shame that we have not had Wright available for these games.  Sinisalo has a hell of a kick on him and I lost count of the number of times the ball came down not far outside the Hearts penalty box today.  Just about all of them came to Moff who was then out jumped by a Hearts defender who was a good few inches taller than him (I don't think he won one of these all day).  Getting someone there that could win the ball or lay it off to others would make a big difference to our attack.  

Edited by stevep56

We played exactly the way we have all season.  Some pretty passing miles from the opposition goal, but not a single serious shot on target.  We never looked like scoring.  Today finally buried any sense that we are an under performing team that just needs a boot up the backside, a wee lift or a bit more tactical sense from the dugout.  Hopefully Hopkin accepts that quick and can make use of the loan market.
I completely agree we need fresh faces. And I know what you mean about familiar performances, but overall we looked like a different team compared to when Kerr was in charge, particularly in the first half.

Muirhead was solid, Reading was much better, Ndaba was in his natural position and Sinisalo made some great saves. So that leaves us with a poor final third, which we do have.

I genuinely feel more optimistic after today, and I'm usually a miserable b*****d.

45 minutes ago, North British said:

Three huge matches to focus on Alloa A , Arbroath A and Inverness A.... These are games we could really do with winning .

Win those three and we probably stay up? I would like to think we will beat Alloa again - for some reason we seem to have the beating of them quite comfortably.   The other two I just don't see it.  Arbroath maybe as we at least created a decent amount of chances against them in the two defeats but it's maybe a mentality thing where both times they went ahead and we never ever looked like coming back.   Inverness away on the last day, possibly needing a result?  Forget it.   We have played them up there early in season when they had half a team out injured and collapsed late on for a draw, then got very easily brushed aside at Somerset in what has been their only win in 13 games!  

Edited by Hursty

I'd like to also say that Ayr played poorly.... In the second half. The first half was much better than anything we've seen under Kerr. Defensively, Ayr were much more organised. 

Moff, yes, may be past it, though credit to him for playing every week and attempting to create goals. Replacing him with Chalmers though?😐

Would like to say imo that the game changed when Chalmers and Zanatta replaced Walsh (Ayrs most likely player to score is Cammy Smith, let's not piss about it, changed at the death though for Mckenzie) and Moff. I thought once the first half had finished, Ayr might have held on for the draw. Then Zanatta decided not to shoot.....i lost my good feelings. Mckenzie never got long enough to impact imo. 

Hearts have won this league, yes, though tbh there wasn't much between the sides in the first half. Sinisalo pulled off a string of great saves. Just hoping for something different on Tuesday 🤞 Hopefully Hopkin will change something. 

Edited by Roxanne's man
Anger issues and the need for a kebab.

We completely controlled the game against Morton and created lots of chances, we matched Raith midweek and today we went to the home of the runaway league leaders and certainly competed, as such I'm quietly confident that we'll stay up.

Inverness, Morton, Arbroath and Alloa are all in the same precarious position as ourselves and none of them are exactly ripping it up, even Dundee can be dragged back should we beat them in midweek, so basically I believe we've got a stronger squad than most of them and have faith in the lads to drag us out of this mess.

Dunno guys, some odd decision making today, you could essentially say he took Davie Whites team, then brought on Zanatta fro Moff when we needed a goal, only bringing on McKenzie for the final minutes. The best we’ve played recently is with McKenzie up front, surely he has to play in Wrights absence?

Can’t judge Hopkin on today with only one training session behind him. The habit of having an opinion based on folk on here saying someone is shite without them kicking a ball or managing a game is pretty tedious.

some are the same ones that backed Kerr up until his last game.

Hopkin picked a similar team to the ones that beat Morton and drew with Raith, set up the same way and probably got a result most people expected before kick-off.

For me, today looked like we set out for damage limitation, play for a draw, hit on the counter attack and hope we might steal something. The final ball was dreadful. Playing crosses in to a box we have no players in, passing behind running players and far to many wrong decisions made. After two games of Muirhead stabilising the midfield, Hearts pushed him back in to defence meaning we had a 5131 formation for most of the game. McCall was all about ego, getting results that looked good for him, so was Daziel. Fans see through it pretty quickly though. I’d rather we put up a fight after going a goal behind than double down on defence. 

the worrying thing for me was the lack of change to fix it, bring on Chalmers by all means but to keep the shape and play a ball playing, fairly static midfielder out wide was not a positive move.  Moffat and Smith don’t work well together, They are cancelling each other out. 

These were problems before Hopkin and he needs more time than one training session to prove he can put them right. 

16 hours ago, Lochwood said:

If we don’t get a striker in we’re gonna struggle, how many managers does it take to tell them Moffat is not a number 9, been left ridiculously short in that area by Kerr.

Nonsense Adam 

8 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

You must be on something  Pugs whoever you are if you think Moffat can play the number 9; no problem playing him but not there.

Yea must be on something cause don’t agree with you 

scored 100 goals for Ayr but he can’t play as number 9 

Yea must be on something cause don’t agree with you 
scored 100 goals for Ayr but he can’t play as number 9 

Guys scored 4 goals since the start of last season.

He’s not able to be our main striker anymore.

I would say that the Moff is best at taking balls into feet, finding a pass and playing it on / threading a pass to runners into the box. His touch is so soft and he has the body strength too.

Anything else is a waste of time and very ineffective.

We devastated teams in recent years by playing through them

Having now seen the limited highlights on YouTube, I'm disappointed with our defending for the crucial first goal. No defender attacked the ball and the guy most capable of doing that (Muirhead) seemed to be positioned wrongly. There's also a case for Sinisalo coming off his line for the cross given that the scorer was well inside the six yard box when he made contact. Heads may have gone down after that but Baird could and should have got a better contact on the cross that resulted in the second and killer goal. Onwards.

Edited by Jazzar