The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

19 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

McCall is just making a rod for his back with they kind of comments. It’s great to show ambition, don’t get me wrong, but look at what happened the last time.

I get the feeling he's maybe saying that stuff as a message to the likes of Shankland etc - much easier to persuade him / Crawford / McDaid etc who will have other offers if he is making public noises about us going up there to challenge, rather than saying "its going to be a long hard season and 8th would be brilliant" etc. 

McCall is just making a rod for his back with they kind of comments. It’s great to show ambition, don’t get me wrong, but look at what happened the last time.

Not really, it was one comment which didn't come off as a statement of intent. He certainly didn't commit to it the same way he did last end of season about winning the league this season. If he starts doing that then he might have a problem.

21 hours ago, somerset_lad said:

Apparently after Raith beat Ayr 2-1 at the start of the season Vaughan was gloating outside the Ayr dressing room by shouting “woooooo”

What a fanny, if your going to wind somebody up do it properly, like shite in their shoes. 

To shout wooooo is a bit pish

23 minutes ago, rb123! said:

In terms of Ross County and Inverness I was referring to them as big teams since they've both been in and around the premiership for a while.

In terms of fan base though, no they're not any bigger than us.

It must be an age thing, I still relate to Rossco and Inverness Caley as Highland league upstarts with little support especially in the case of Inverness, although to be fair, County do have a very good home following considering their catchment area.

I also remember the dreaded day at Somerset when Willie Furphy came back to haunt us................

1 hour ago, somerset_lad said:

To be honest I managed to sign Boyle for Ayr a few years ago before he actually moved and we won League 1. Also signed Martin Grehan and John Gemmell but the less said about them the better.

Throwback to the time Mark Roberts made a bid for John Gemmell while he was at Stenhousemuir, just to “test the water” apparently - only to then bid more and more as each bid was rejected just to see how much it would take, almost as if it was a game of Football Manager.

Probably an apt summary of his time in charge.

Re: Jordan Marshall - if he is 21 and was offered a new deal, would we not need to pay compensation?  Haven't seen it mentioned so I assume not somehow, but I'm not exactly clued up with the process

1 hour ago, Calayrdonia said:

Staying up next season should be the only priority for us. That would provide a solid foundation to build on and slowly establish us as a Championship team which in turn would let us gradually increase the quality of the squad as we go. 

Of course don’t fear teams but we need to be sensible and plan right now. It was the massive lack of squad quality that done us last time and we need to make sure that doesn’t happen again.

The best way to ensure you stay up is to finish as high up the table as you can, we've tried the regressive aiming for 8th thing and it's not worked, try something different. 

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

The best way to ensure you stay up is to finish as high up the table as you can, we've tried the regressive aiming for 8th thing and it's not worked, try something different. 

Quite right Derek, it would maybe be different if it had 24 teams like the English but you're as well trying to build a team trying for 4th as a side trying for 8th, ICT were still trying to avoid 9th six or seven weeks ago.

40 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Targets like this make very little difference in the end. It's just words.

It shouldn't just be words, you should be building a team that you think can attain your target.

I feel if Alloa go up and are going to be signing players like trouten who isn’t good enough to get in our team they will finish bottom. I think aiming for 8th is more than achievable tbh and could aim higher but I’d be happy staying in that league

I don’t think aiming to finish ourwith the bottom 2 shouldn’t not be our aim. Our last 3 visits have seen us finish 10th 9th and 10th. Yeah this is probably the best side we’ve came up with, however the strong possibility of having County, Inverness, Thistle, Dundee Utd, Falkirk then strong championship teams like Dunfermline, Morton and QOS means aiming for top 4 is very questionable. I’d bite your hand off for 8th just now and something tells me Morton are in for a tough year, so let’s just get the best squad we can, get into a position we’re safe and crack on from there.

So with there seemingly being a bit of possibility in this rumour about Marshall from QOTS, anyone know of any other players we're after early doors.

No Ally Morrison linked players thanks.

It shouldn't just be words, you should be building a team that you think can attain your target.
You build the very best team possible, within the budget you have.

Surely that's the aim every year!

No manager would ever turn down the chance of a better player just because they think they have enough to survive. That's madness.

Just now, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Would be quite bizarre if Marshall was to sign for Ayr considering he was looking for something better than us

ps:He'd be a fuckin quality signing

The only thing I can think of is McCall is really selling the idea of the move to him and giving him a big pay rise.

Is he more of a wing back or can he defend as well?